PDA

View Full Version : Hand inspection of film - beware

QT Luong
16-Jul-2006, 12:20
In the past, I have always requested hand inspection of my film boxes at airport security points. Prior to 2001, in the majority of cases, the personnel would just swab them, while sometimes they would demand them being X-rayed. Since then, it's been the other way around. However, on my last trip, on two separate occasions, the inspector tried to open a box *without asking me if it was OK*. In one of the cases, he had already removed 3 of the tape seals while I was busy puting my shoes back, and was actually opening the box so I had to jump on him.
My film boxes are 50 sheets of Velvia repackaged without foil, and I have to test that particular one, since I am not even sure of it anymore. Given the risk, in the future, I have decided to forego asking for hand-inspection of film. By the way, I worked with a film crew in Glacier Bay, and although their fastest film is 400 ASA, they systematically ship their film to Fedex and never fly with it, something I would certainly consider if I was staying at a hotel.

Ed Richards
16-Jul-2006, 12:26
> so I had to jump on him.

Glad you lived to tell the tale! Is the film crew's issue that the x-rays used for checked baggage are much stronger? I doubt they would want to hand carry the film.

Do know much about x-ray practices at Fed Ex? I suppose one could put a sheet of high ASA Poloroid film in with the other film as a quick check on x-ray exposure. Maybe put lead foil around one corner of the sheet as a reference?

Bruce Watson
16-Jul-2006, 12:49
...the inspector tried to open a box *without asking me if it was OK*. In one of the cases, he had already removed 3 of the tape seals while I was busy puting my shoes back, and was actually opening the box...

Been there, done that. Cost me a factory sealed box of 5x4 Tri-X to learn this same lesson. In my case I told them that breaking the factory seals and opening the box would expose and ruin the film. I got it back with seals broken. The few sheets I tested showed edge fog. Fey.

My answer is different than yours however. I now pack up a box of goodies (including all my film) and send it by UPS or FedEx to my destination. There are UPS and FedEx stores everywhere in the US now, and you can send it to a specific store to wait for your pickup. You can also send it to your hotel, or a friend, whatever. I reuse the same box to ship the exposed film back home. I do this on the way to the airport and it shows up a couple of days later.

I've never had a problem doing it like this, and it gets me out of asking the so-called security people to do anything beyond their robotic programming. They do hate to break their routine.

OTOH, I find air travel so inconvienient and uncomfortable these days that I'll drive two or three days to avoid the airlines. This lets me carry a lot more stuff, from ice chests and food to more photography equipment, and has the added benefits of letting me avoid renting a car at my destination. Even with the high cost of gas it makes sense for me.

Capocheny
16-Jul-2006, 13:28
I also send my films by FedEx to their ultimate destinations whenever I travel. It saves all the grief and headaches associated with trying to communicate with these "security experts!"

Either that... or I'll purchase film at the destination and ship them back home at the end of the trip.

Cheers

Ash
16-Jul-2006, 13:30
Back when I was doing an art/photography course, I bought my first box or two of light sensitive paper. The first thing I was told was write all over it "DO NOT OPEN!!! LIGHT SENSITIVE PAPER!!" - every possible blank space should have it, or else big labels, and tape up the inner bag as well. It fully applies to film as well.

I guess the best thing you can do with airlines is tell them beforehand, and make sure you've triple bagged your film (rather than rely on the cardboard light traps) with the opaque black bags. Tape the inner bags so if the box is opened, the three black plastic bags take so much effort you'll have time to explain the cost of the film if they go ahead. Or else, they'll get bored.

I'm sure there are boxes you can buy that are x-ray proof, specifically to avoid these things?

Ted Harris
16-Jul-2006, 13:48
I travel a lot by air. At least once a month. I have never had a problem with domestic inspection of film in carry on bags .... I don't shoot anything faster than 100 and jsut let it go through the machines. If I am really worried I do ship it ahead FedEx or DHL (DHL is my preference). None of the express shippers x ray AFAIK. Traveling internationally I follow the same procedure or Western Europe. For South America and Africa I am less sure of the calibrationof the machines at small airports and send film DHL.

Eric James
16-Jul-2006, 14:23
The last time I requested a hand check the attendant placed all of my film on top of the x-ray machine were it sat for ~10 minutes. Not knowing how well the top of the machine was shielded I asked for it to be sent through the machine. Not willing to take a chance, I replaced the film when I got to my destination. Now I just let it slide on through - I'd rather trust automation than human intervention.

I've also learned to avoid putting the film in a bag with "suspicious" looking things like climbing gear or even photo gear, to lessen the exposure time.

BrianShaw
16-Jul-2006, 14:26
I travel a lot by air. At least once a month. I have never had a problem with domestic inspection of film in carry on bags ....

Me neither, either by x-ray damage or by TSA opening film packages. But more and more I just put my film on the belt and let them x-ray it. Why bother with the hassle of having to deal with these underpaid, underqualified security "experts".

roteague
16-Jul-2006, 14:45
Unfortunately, I have to travel by air when I travel. I leave the film in the case, and just run it through the machine. In addition, I primarily shoot Fuji QuickLoad, and haven't encountered any problems with them. However, I always feel more comfortable once I get outside the US. On my next trip, I think I am going to FedEx my film directly to my processor, so I won't have to worry about carrying exposed film on the airplane.

Brian Ellis
16-Jul-2006, 15:11
Carry it on, let it go through the carry-on xray, there's no problem, I've been doing it for three years now, ever since Ron Rosenstock talked about putting the same box through six or eight times as he travelled back and forth from Boston to Ireland every year. I've done the Fed Ex thing, I've done the "ship it to the hotel in advance thing," I've done the "buy it from Calumet when you arrive" thing. All are pains and IMHO unnecessary.

Gary Smith
16-Jul-2006, 17:52
On my last few trips, both in and outside of Japan. I have just left the film the camera bag, and ran it through the xray. It was mostly ASA100 film, with some rolls of 400. After 4 to 6 runs through various Xray machines, I had no problems with fogging. For most films, I think its a non issue anymore, unless you are using some real high speed films. Safer than letting the usually clueless security types fool with the box.

Gary

Donald Qualls
17-Jul-2006, 14:53
I'm sure there are boxes you can buy that are x-ray proof, specifically to avoid these things?

Put *anything* in an X-ray opaque container of any kind and you're simply guaranteeing it'll be opened and the contents visually inspected. If they can't X-ray it, and it's not in an original package of types they've been authorized to hand inspect, it *will* be opened -- and if there's a light-tight packet inside, *that* will be opened as well, because as far as TSA is concerned, the only reason you might want to prevent x-rays from penetrating something in your carry-on, or even checked baggage, is so you can get something through that shouldn't fly (like, in their professionally paranoid minds, a bomb or weapon).

Think about this: in a box the size of an 8x10, 25 sheet film box, you could pack a timer, detonator, and enough explosive to make a repeat of Lockerbie. Do you really *want* to be able to get a package that size, that can't be x-rayed because it's lead-lined, aboard an airliner?

Ash
17-Jul-2006, 14:56
hmm yea, i like their thinking that a flexible wad of something that feels like sheets, it must be C4

I guess we're all stuffed no matter what we do

Greg Miller
18-Jul-2006, 10:06
I just let the film get x-ray'd in my carry on. I have taken trips to places like Turkey & Patagonia with mutliple flights and stops. I can't even recall the most x-rays my film received in 1 trip but I know its at least 8. I have never had a problem with the film being affected.

David A. Goldfarb
18-Jul-2006, 11:18
I am also more concerned about hand inspection of my film and equipment than I am about X-ray fog. The fastest thing I'm likely to shoot is Tri-X, which I rate at 640 in Acufine.

I let film go through the X-ray, sometimes in a lead bag and sometimes not. They often let the film in the lead bag go through without further inspection. I'd say about half the time I get an explosive swab or hand check. Once in a while they might ask me to let the film boxes go through the X-ray without the lead bag.

To avoid requests for hand checks, I have a small case where I keep things that are likely to attract the attention of inspectors, and I check it. It contains rangefinder cams, small tools and spanners, spare screws and small parts, and cable releases.

Steve H
18-Jul-2006, 11:46
Ahh. All this makes me glad that I had my film shipped to my location, and I will ship it home.

evan clarke
18-Jul-2006, 11:49
Me neither, either by x-ray damage or by TSA opening film packages. But more and more I just put my film on the belt and let them x-ray it. Why bother with the hassle of having to deal with these underpaid, underqualified security "experts".

How much are they paid and what are the qualifications??.Evan Clarke

Rick Olson
18-Jul-2006, 12:03
Hi all,

Question ... I am always asked "are all metal items out of your pockets?" Well, film is not metal and you would typically be able to walk through okay if it was in a pocket. Let's say in a pair of cargo-type pants. I am not sure what the correct TSA policy is for walking through the detector stands. Do you have to remove ALL items from your person other than your clothing, or is it okay to have some (small) items remain in your pockets as long as they do not set off the detector.

Thanks

DavidFisk
18-Jul-2006, 12:32
Film is definitely NOT metal, so you can answer yes to that question. However, if you have sheet film still in the foil pouch, this may set off the detector. You can remove the foil pouch ahead of time, and try to go through the detector, but if there is a bulge in your pocket, you may be asked to have it scanned. Remember, these people have checked 2 senses at the door when they got hired: Their sense of humor and their common sense. I even had to have a bottle of water run through the scanner. Go figure.

For what it's worth, I have had Portra 160 go through 5 scans without any harm. Same with E100. Let the martinets scan the stuff. The hassle ain't worth it.

The photo curmudgeon has spoken.

David A. Goldfarb
18-Jul-2006, 12:37
I've walked through metal detectors with upwards of 20 rolls of 120 in my pockets.

Rick Olson
18-Jul-2006, 14:58
I've walked through metal detectors with upwards of 20 rolls of 120 in my pockets.

Great ... off to the store to load up on some cargo pants.

Brian Vuillemenot
18-Jul-2006, 15:28
Has anyone every actually had fogging from putting their film through an x-ray? I've done it all the time, with no problem whatsoever. It seems like the real problems start when people hand checking film expose it to light. Kind of like putting your film on ice because you're obsessed with keeping it cool, only to have it ruin by melting ice!

QT Luong
18-Jul-2006, 15:40
I used to walk through the metal detector with film boxes. Worked fine. Problem is that if they spot you with them, you'll look twice as suspicious. I stopped after 2001. I also had film damaged by security x-ray, but it was not at a modern airport. The ice analogy is perfect, as I have that ruin some film too :-(

Shen45
18-Jul-2006, 18:38
I'm often sadly amused by the juvenile comments of some people when confronted with the question of security checks through airports.

For the first time in my life I travelled internationally last year [I'm 52] and despite the fears I had regarding the loss of my film to xray I was a tad more concerned that someone not a photographer and with a desire to ruin my day may attempt to smuggle some harmful material on board my 14 hour flight from Australia to SanFrancisco.

I'm really concerned that fear has driven the need for these measures and I have to admit that I'm selfishly put out in a small manner by what now takes place.

But consider the alternatives. Open slather with no checks and eventually no one wil fly.

I carried as hand luggage 3 rolls of the fillm I would be using in America and just let them go through security xray. 120 rolls of APX 100 and Acros.

I had arranged all of my film for use over the month to be sent from stores within the USA prior to my arrival.
On arrival my friend and I exposed a fresh roll of each film sent from on line stores to his home and a roll of each carried through xray to a grey card .

The film I had carried from Australia was older and a different emulsion batch but all films were treated the same. Each type was then processed together.

When measured on a densitometer there was little if any difference in the films. Luckily we had maked the zapped films as if we hadn't we would not have known which was which.

I kept one of the films and carried it back as hand luggage to Australia and conducted the same test. There was a very slight increase in base fog but absolutely nothing that could cause a concern. Also my test in australia was carried out with a different densitometer so that has to considered as well.

I had some sheet film and just let it go through as well with no ill effects.

Oh and despite my telling my family that it was a once in a lifetime trip last year, I will be back in Yosemite, Bodie Carmel, Death Valley Etc, etc , etc for another month in September this year. I'm concerned about travelling but film is the least of my worries.

BrianShaw
18-Jul-2006, 18:42
How much are they paid and what are the qualifications??.Evan Clarke

$23,600 (immediately after training) to $32,600.

The qualifications are at the TSA web site under "employment opportunities". Basically, though, high school education, clean background check, and ability to pass the civil service exam.

EDIT:

But, then there's the catch... many positions are part-time.

VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT

DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION

Vacancy Announcement Number: TSA-06-2314 Amended

Opening Date: 02-16-2006
Closing Date: 07-31-2006

Position Title:
TRANSPORTATION SECURITY OFFICER (TSO) (Screener)
SV-1802, Pay Band D
Annual Salary Range - $23,600-$35,400 per year*
Salary Range does not include locality pay of 12.52%
Under this appointment you are eligible for health insurance and life insurance
coverage.
*This is the salary range for a full-time position. Your salary will be pro-rated
based on the actual number of hours you work (20-32 hours a week as indicated in
the Work Schedule section below).

Number of Positions: Multiple Vacancies

Position Location:
U.S Department of Homeland Security
Transportation Security Administration
Security Operations
Orlando International Airport

Duty Location: Orlando. Florida

Area of Consideration:
Open to all U.S. Citizens and U.S. Nationals. For further information concerning
U.S. citizenship, please visit http://www.uscis.gov/

As part of your processing you will be required to travel to a TSA specified
medical facility within the commuting area of the airport for which you applied.

Job Category: Specialized

Permanent Change of Duty Station:
No relocation expenses will be paid.

Type of Appointment: Permanent – Part Time Positions. This is an Excepted Service
Appointment.

Louie Powell
18-Jul-2006, 19:07
I recall reading somewhere that the amount of radiation that film will receive while passing through an x-ray machine used for carryon scanning is less than the amount of radiation that the same film will receive due to exposure to gamma rays during the flight.

But that's a non-scientific statement that is first-cousin to an anecdote. The tests that Steve Nicholls did and reported on above are an objective scientific test and reinforce my belief that today we don't need to be concerned about x-ray fogging of ordinary film while traveling in relatively civilized parts of the world.

Thanks, Steve.

BrianShaw
18-Jul-2006, 19:40
The International Imaging Industries Association (I3A) did the scientific studies that led to TSA's formulation of advise to travelers on film safety. Here is the scientific report:

http://www.i3a.org/testsite/pdf/I3AFilmXrayTestReport.pdf

Here is the web site for the committe on Integrity in Transportation of Imaging Products (ITIP):

http://www.i3a.org/testsite/itip.html

Steve Nichol's measurements appear to be good validation of the I3A data!

Now, would folks PU-LEEZE stop worrying about this issue and stop trying to outwit the TSA dimwits?

evan clarke
19-Jul-2006, 05:04
"Now, would folks PU-LEEZE stop worrying about this issue and stop trying to outwit the TSA dimwits?"

Ha!! These are people just doing their jobs, no need to call them names. In my world, we think that anyone who works behind a desk and who cannot make things could be called names..EC

KenM
19-Jul-2006, 05:52
"Now, would folks PU-LEEZE stop worrying about this issue and stop trying to outwit the TSA dimwits?"

Ha!! These are people just doing their jobs, no need to call them names. In my world, we think that anyone who works behind a desk and who cannot make things could be called names..EC

Hey!

Frank Petronio
19-Jul-2006, 06:07
TSA = Thousands Standing Around

with Federal benefits and regular raises, never getting fired unless they get convicted of murder.

It's all just window dressing. Let's control our borders, send the illegals home, and make the airline inspectors fly on the plane they just inspected the baggage for (like they do in the Mideast).

BrianShaw
19-Jul-2006, 06:52

Okay, Evan... my apologies to anyone who may have been offended by my attempt at humor. But what else rhymes with "outwit"?

Let me be serious for a moment. I am a frequent flier and i appreciate what TSA (and all of the other simiar agencies) do. Yes, they are just doing their job and TSA is doing it much better than when security screening was contracted out.

My goal in that process is to make their job as easy as possible. Largely that is to let them execute their procedures and not make them think too much. They are not allowed much latitude in decision-making; they follow very rigid rules.

My biggest frustration are those who don't listen to their requests, don't complyt with their requests, and try to outwit the system needlessly. Just last week I was "trapped" in a TSA line while a little old lady argued about not wanting to put her purse on the belt. Then she didn't want to remove her shoes. Then she didn't want to wait until the TSA-guy said it was okay to walk through the portal. Then she didn't have her boarding pass because she put it through the belt after TSA-guy asked her three times to hold on to it.

If htat ever happened to me because someone filled their pockets with 120 film, I'd be tempted to help TSA expose each and every roll! (Nothing personal David, et al).

BrianShaw
19-Jul-2006, 06:57
TSA = Thousands Standing Around

with Federal benefits and regular raises, never getting fired unless they get convicted of murder.

It's all just window dressing. Let's control our borders, send the illegals home, and make the airline inspectors fly on the plane they just inspected the baggage for (like they do in the Mideast).

The TSA lines at LAX, one of the busiest airports, are not less than 15 minutes. Even the dreaded Terminal 1 (Southwest) where the lines once were "miles long" and "hours long" are operated in a quick and expedient manner. Things HAVE gotten better.

You may be correct on your other comments, but guess what... nobody except you and me care what you and me think on that topic ;-)

evan clarke
19-Jul-2006, 07:16
" nobody except you and me care what you and me think on that topic " You are right about that 8^)). I'm not offended for myself, people with common jobs don't get the respect they should in our society. I would miss my garbage man much sooner I would miss my lawyer, a rock star, an investment analyst, radio personality, movie star, every single elected official on the planet, and on and on....TTYL..Evan

BrianShaw
19-Jul-2006, 08:00
The TSA lines at LAX, one of the busiest airports, are no longer than 15 minutes. Even the dreaded Terminal 1 (Southwest) where the lines once were "miles long" and "hours long" are operated in a quick and expedient manner. Things HAVE gotten better.

You may be correct on your other comments, but guess what... nobody except you and me care what you and me think on that topic ;-)

EDIT: OOOPS... I mis-typed. I totally goofed up the waiting time information. Originally I said "not less than" when I meant "no greater than". My bad!!

Ron Marshall
19-Jul-2006, 09:14
Returning from Yosemite two months ago I was told that my sheet film would have to be x-rayed, but they would hand-inspect the quickloads. That was almost a disaster. By the time I put on my shoes the inspector was attempting to pull open a quickload. I managed to get to him in time and re-explain the situation. He then looked carefully at each quickload and let me go.

Next time I will either let then x-ray it all or ship ahead.

evan clarke
19-Jul-2006, 10:10
At a workshop, Bruce Barnbaum said his Tri-x was x-rayed 6 times on a trip to an dfrom Europe with no discernible effects..EC

BrianShaw
19-Jul-2006, 10:56
At a workshop, Bruce Barnbaum said his Tri-x was x-rayed 6 times on a trip to an dfrom Europe with no discernible effects..EC

and according to the I3A study cited in earlier discussion, he could have doubled that with no ill effect!