PDA

View Full Version : Testing film for BTZS

Jan_6568
12-Jul-2006, 10:40
After going throug some enthusiastic comments on BTZS here I finally orederd my copy. It arrived yesterday and I spent evening reading the book and watching the video. It looks great to but I have a little problem. Film testing method described there requres 1/4 sec exposure under enlarger. I do not have either enlarger or darkroom timer. I am doing only contact prints and I time my exposures with metronome so I can not time exposure precisely 1/4 sec.
My idea is to load the step tablet along with film into film holder and do exposure in camera. I would photograph white paper sheet recalculating the exposure time given in the book to take account for lens aperture. What do you think?
May by some of you would have better idea how to expose film for BTZS testing.

regards,
Jan

Brian Ellis
12-Jul-2006, 11:01
It's been too many years since I did all the BTZS testing for me to answer your question. However, I have a suggestion. While it's certainly possible to do the BTZS testing yourself it isn't any fun (unless you happen to enjoy that kind of thing). For about $30 The View Camera Store will do it all for you, plus provide you with more and better information than you can get on your own (unless you've purchased Phil Davis' Exp/Dev program or whatever the exact name of it is). I thought it was some of best money I've ever spent on anything photographic.

Jay DeFehr
12-Jul-2006, 11:03
Hi Jan.

I've read about people doing just as you propose. If you plan to test a lot of films, it could get very tedious, but the methodology is sound, I think. I bought, and then rebuilt a sensitometer for film/paper testing, because I do a lot of it, and the sensitometer is the most accurate, consistent and convenient way to do it. Good luck.

Jay

Don Hutton
12-Jul-2006, 11:29
Speak to Fred Newman at the View Camera Store - they offer a testing process but I am sure that he would be very happy to expose your film with his calibrated set-up for a fee - it may be cheaper in the long run and at least you will know that the film has been exposed precisely and correctly. Like Jay, I finally bought a densitometer - I couldn't get consistent results from my enlarger which has a cold light head.

Brian Ellis
12-Jul-2006, 18:11
"Speak to Fred Newman at the View Camera Store - they offer a testing process but I am sure that he would be very happy to expose your film with his calibrated set-up for a fee."

The View Camera Store sends the exposed film to you, you process it and return it to them. That's all included in the $30 or so basic fee, no extra fee for exposing the film.

Don Hutton
12-Jul-2006, 18:43
My apologies Brian - I don't know the specifics of their service, but as you said, it is an excellent deal... Setting up the exposure for BTZS testing can be a real PITA.

Jan_6568
12-Jul-2006, 19:56
Thank you very much, I will probably try to set my tests myself first. In case they are not satistactory I will use View camera store service.
regards,
Jan

Brian Ellis
12-Jul-2006, 23:22
No need to apologize Don, I just didn't want Jan to think that he might have to pay extra for The View Camera Store service if he chooses to go that route.