PDA

View Full Version : First 4x5 fotos...

Matus Kalisky
6-Jul-2006, 05:06
Hello,

I was considering a while in which subforum to post this thread, but as I did not feel to put it into Introductions (I have bothered some of you a bit already here) I decided to put it here.

Please note:
Before puting the links let me note, that the photos you will (hopefuly) see are all "scanned" slides with my Minolta D7 while layed down on the light box. The quality is not great in this process and I also do not have yet a calibrated monitor. I did just a very basic adjustements to these photos in PS.
So - here we go:

First two photos were taken ~ 6'o clock in the morning last Sunday in the nature park on the river Rhein near the city Darmstadt in Germany (the town where I live now) from the same location.

Tech general info: Tchihara, Kodak EPP, Benro tripod, novoflex ballhed (though I would prefere a pan-tilt head intead), blask T-shirt as darkcloath, 8x peak loupe. The onlyu thing I REALLY missed was some anti-insect stuff as there were milions of moskitos there...

1) Fujinon 125 CMW @f16 1/4 sec.

2) Geronar 210/6.3 f22 1/2 sec

3) enlargement of the part of the "image 2" - this was a lillte gift from mother nature. THis little "Bambi" was not there for more than 2 or 3 minutes. Just appeared when I was ready to make the shot.

4) Fujinon 125 cmw f22 ~ 5 sec. Flower behind the garage of my landlords. Unfortunately I underxposed it heavily. No - I did not forget to include the bellows factor, but I probably underetimated it plus I forgot that reviprocity failure will need another 1/2 to 1 stop. I've "scanned" only ~ 70% of th image, as becuse of long exposure time during the scanning the surrounding bright part of tyhe lightbox was leaking in.

My persnal feelings were very positive when I got my first twho photos from the lab - as there are plenty of errors one may do in the process.

So, this was just to share my feelings that I finaly managed to start.

Matus

Ralph Barker
6-Jul-2006, 07:21
Congratulations on your initial success, Matus.

Oh, and the usual explanation regarding the flower image is, "I intentionally under-exposed it for artistic reasons." ;)

Matus Kalisky
6-Jul-2006, 07:46
Well, there are obviously some things I still have to learn :)

Capocheny
6-Jul-2006, 10:11
Hi Matus,

Yup... never forget the bug juice! :) Been there, done that! And, the mosquitos had a field day!!! :)

Anyway, good show on the images. Wasn't it exciting when you first took them out of the box post processing?

I can still remember looking at my first 4x5 transparencies and thinking, "Wow, this is what photography is ALL about!"

Now, I'm awaiting my first 8x10 trannies... and can't wait!

So, good luck with the 4x5! ----- 8x10 will be beckoning soon! :)

Cheers

Michael Graves
6-Jul-2006, 10:18
I remember looking at my first 8x10's quite vividly. My exact words were "WTF!!! I KNOW I PULLED THE $%*&*&$$$$ DARKSLIDES!!!!" Congratulations on your first efforts. They're much, much better than my first.

or my second.....

or my third......

Hiro
6-Jul-2006, 20:49
Matus,
congratulations for the good start.
My first try was also two non-exposures with QuickLoads (and that's how I learned how to take apart a Polaroid holder early on).

Matus Kalisky
7-Jul-2006, 02:55
- Capocheny -

yes, it was very exciting - I did not know what will be the result. Please, keep me from the 8x10. I can't afford it and my girlfriend would kill me :-). But those slides has to look georgious.....

- Michael & Hiro -

let's see how my next attempts will look like. I am aware of the beginners luck

M..

Martin D.
7-Jul-2006, 03:31
Finally some tangible artistic results. Congratulations! ;)
How much do you charge for a print? :)

Martin D.
7-Jul-2006, 03:37
...novoflex ballhed (though I would prefere a pan-tilt head intead)
Well, you remember my Bogen pan&tilt head (with bubble levels) that I showed you the other day.

Matus Kalisky
7-Jul-2006, 06:16
Well, you remember my Bogen pan&tilt head (with bubble levels) that I showed you the other day.

yes I do. Actually Manfrotto 410 is on the future list. But I do like the light weight of the novolex (which was bought for digital&film in small ;) format) I just have to be carefull.

How much do you charge for a print?
Well, until I will not invest into some calibration stuff for the monitor, there is not much sense to make large prints. But if you are interested into artisticaly (== off color) looking print, then let me know :D

Martin D.
7-Jul-2006, 06:42
...I just have to be carefull
You will first find out how careful you were when you pay for drum scanning and/or you have the photo enlarged. You can buy a decent head for 100€.

But if you are interested into artisticaly (== off color) looking print, then let me know...
I actually am. I buy any photos that are better than mine ;)

Alan Davenport
8-Jul-2006, 11:09
Matus, welcome to the lunatic asylum (that seems to be where most observers believe LF photographers belong!) Congratulations on your encouraging results. Also congrats on the gift from nature (bambi) in one of the shots. I had a similar appearance of a deer once -- I didn't even see it until after the film was processed, and I'm sure it would have remained unnoticed on a miniscule format.