PDA

View Full Version : Horseman 450?

Ed Richards
5-Jul-2006, 17:02
KEH has various models of the Horseman 450 at good prices, but I have no clue as to the different models. There is a 450b, a 450 with an extensible rail, and some others. I am looking for this as a backup camera for two uses - a more rigid base for my 400mm Fuji telephoto, and a more flexible mount for my 90mm for architecture, both as compared to my Technika IV.

Ted Harris
5-Jul-2006, 18:13
I can only answer your question from my own experience in acquiring bits and pices for my own studio camera system over the years. Horseman has been making their L Frame system for some 15-20 years at least and all of the various models and pieces are interchangable with changes in naming over time. The basic camera has geared rise, fall and shift with zero detents; geared fine focus on both teh front and rear standard and swing and axial tilt on the front and rear. Rhe basic camera comes on a fixed rail. The next step up, which was the B model IIRC, adds an extending rail that goes out to 700 mm. After that you get the S model which adds base as well as axial tilt and a depth of field knob. Finally there is the X model with yet more features. Options include both a short and long bellows in addition to a bag bellows and rails varying in length from 250mm through 1000mm; add to that assorted viewing hoods and aids, fine focusing devices, additional center standards and all the other sorts of odd bits you expect in a full featured rail syste.

You will certainly get more flexibility with any Horseman than with a Technika but you will also get lots more weight and way less portability. If you give me some specifics I can give you more detail on the specific configuration you are considering.

Ed Richards
5-Jul-2006, 18:54
Ted,

You have helped with the key question - that the line is all based around the L frame. The other point is whether you need to go to a bag bellows with a 90mm lens on a model with the extending rail. I am thinking about this as a special purpose camera for when either need more movements for architecture or when I want to use a long lens and need more stability or closer focusing than I can get with the Technika.

Ted Harris
6-Jul-2006, 06:19
Ed, you should be ok with the shorter bellows, but you won't have much room for movement. I would suspect that it would be useful to have a bag bellows in your arsnel to be safe. I just measured and the distance from the film plane to the front standard is ~ 63mm. I have used a 90 but not in a long time and I don't own one now so can't do any experimenting for you. Remember that any Horseman or Sinar bag bellows should fit and they area usually available at auction with regularity for less than 100.