PDA

View Full Version : Gear management in difficult terrains

Timothy So
2-Jul-2006, 01:21
Hi everyone, I'm just starting out in LF photography and is interested to do landscape.
I like to hear from you about gear management in "difficult" terrains, specifically thinking of places where one cannot put the gear bag down e.g. in a stream, at the wave front by the beach, on a sand dune where the ground temperature may be more than 104 deg F...etc. Where do you put your bag safely and yet have access to gear (e.g. lens, filters) and films/film holders,etc? I'm thinking of hanging my nature trekker from the tripod hook. But because I have removed the center column from my Gitzo 1257 and replaced it with a Markins base, the hook is very high up. Perhaps I need an extension cord in this situation. Even so I'm not sure about safety in accessing the lenses in the bag. For films it's easier... I plan to use the half opened front-pocket which functions more or less like a Gnass pouch.
Any advice/tips/experience to share please?~~:)

Bob Gentile
2-Jul-2006, 05:56
This topic was discussed in a recent thread here. One of the most interesting ideas I saw was a little three-legged camping stool with a canvas "seat" used as a small portable table. Less than $20 from Walmart. Folds up into ito own pouch for easy carrying.

If you search for that thread, you'll find other good ideas, too.

Jeffrey Sipress
2-Jul-2006, 09:29
In situations like these, I use the wide hip belt with numerous bags and gear holders hanging on it. A few well known manufacturers make these. Since you can't hang all your gear from the belt (including your 4x5 camera and all your lenses) while you hike, I first assemble the camera/tripod and carry that while I walk out onto these areas of sand or water. A few lenses and film holders, meter, etc, can easily be put in the belt pouches. The Gnass film holder wrap is ideal for this, as it hangs from a knob on your tripod head as you work. I have two of them. And, don't forget the classic photo vest with all those big pockets.

Ed Richards
2-Jul-2006, 10:07
Hanging a bag from the tripod, unless the bag is resting at least partially on the ground, reduces the tripod stability a lot. There was a thread a long time ago where someone did some testing (laser pointer on the camera) and found that it was a big problem. Wind will make it much worse.

I also carry the camera and tripod over my shoulder and holders, meter, etc., in a waist belt, plus in cargo pockets on the fishing shirts I wear. I do not change lenses in places where I cannot set down gear, so I do not generally carry any lenses into the these spots. I do not hike long distances this way, or any other way, but I do get into some difficult terrain within the 1/2 mile or so of the car - mud, water, sand, gators, swamp grass, so I try to not set anything down.

Ron Marshall
2-Jul-2006, 12:31
When on site I put the camera and lens on the tripod; everything else goes in my photo vest. I often put a spare lens in the vest.

Then the pack goes on my back or in a safe place nearby. I carry a nylon strap to hang my pack from a tree, if the ground is wet.

But if I was often shooting in swamp or a wet area I would get one of those light camp tables or seats that others have mentioned.

Louie Powell
2-Jul-2006, 13:35
Tim -

A trick that I learned from one of these boards (and I forget which one) is to carry along one of those inexpensive canvas folding tables. Mine cost US$5 at Target. My gear is in a backpack (LowePro Nature Trekker), and I simply put the pack on the table, unzip it, and go to work.

One thing that I learned last week - be careful about wind. I was photographing Hector Falls, near Watkins Glen, NY. I had the pack on the table along side the road - the camera was set up, focused and ready to go, so I took out my meter that I keep in a Calumet lens wrap. I put the lens wrap on top of the pack while I was making the light reading, and when I finished and turned around, I found that the wind had blown the lens wrap (and the lens cap for the meter) off the pack. I saw where it landed - about 20 feet below me in a ravine - but there was no way that I could climb down to retrieve it.

Your question raises another concern that has been discussed recently - in addition to worrying about equipment, one should be very aware of the terrain. The instance a week or so ago of the woman who fell while making a photograph in one of the National Parks in the western US should be an object lesson to us all.

Timothy So
3-Jul-2006, 06:50
Thanks everybody for the helpful suggestions. I gather I need to consider the photovest or belt bag solution. I might also look for the canvas table/seat which sounds quite attractive as well.
As for bag hanging, I understand that if one just hang it free, the bag will act as a heavy pendulum and induce vibration. But if the bag is kept in contact with the tripod legs would this problem be minimised? I have thought of one way to do just this: to loop a belt around the tripod head region, the belt then go to suspend the bag. The harness system of the bag then go around one/ two of the tripod legs and buckle upon itself thereby creating secure contact between the tripod and the leg. (pictures attched) Does this sound complicated? or will it work?

Ron Marshall
3-Jul-2006, 07:09
Timothy, as long as the bag isn't moving it is not a problem. I have taken many very long exposures with a bag hanging and it is fine. But, you must make sure that it is absolutely still.

Kevin Crisp
3-Jul-2006, 07:18
It depends on the backpack, but with a lot of them you can just put it on backwards with the pack in front of you. You can reach things you need and you don't have to put it down.

John Kasaian
3-Jul-2006, 17:32
On snow, a small sheet of plastic is handy---bungee corded d or strapped on to the outside of your pack, but I usually keep everything in 'the bag' On steep slopes you can sink your ski pole through one of the shoulder straps to keep your pack from sledding away(a powder cord or bright ribbon for your pack is a nice touch) A small shovel is sometimes useful for cutting in a level spot. Mine's a german army surplus job but they make lighter wieght plastic 'avalanche' models for mountain climbers.