PDA

View Full Version : Schneider-Kreuznach Filter Sizes Anyone?

Barry F
27-Jun-2006, 23:55
Hi all,

I've just entered the LF world and thanks to mum (Mum's are good for this :-) even at 77!) I've upgraded my very old DeVere monorail system to a newer Sinar one. The kit came with six Schneider lenses and I want to be able to use filters/filter holders with them (particularly ND Grads). I can't find any reference material which states the filter sizes. Can anyone help?

The lenses are: -

65mm f8 Super Angulon
90mm f8 Super Angulon
150mm f5.6 Symmar-S
210mm f5.6 Symmar-S
300mm f5.6 Symmar
360mm f5.6 Symmar

Mnay thanks in anticipation,
Barry

Ron Marshall
28-Jun-2006, 00:01
Here is a link to the Schneider site:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/pdfs/photo/LensCharts.pdf

Good luck, you have a wonderful kit to start with!

Emmanuel BIGLER
28-Jun-2006, 00:44
The Lens Chart indicated by Ron is excellent and I'm bookmarking it immediately (many thanks !!) ; but it does not mention many vintage Schneider Kreuznach lenses still in use.
So for the sake of completeness, we can add the following link to the original manufacturer's archives, on their web pages, not so easy to find from the main portal :

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/archiv/archiv.htm

You can access the directory listing of pdf files from here as well :
http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/archiv/pdf/

It is a nice repository of scanned vintage brochures in .pdf format ; and even if the download page is in German, the brochures are often multi-lingual : German, English and French (d, e, f)

Robert A. Zeichner
28-Jun-2006, 00:52
That's quite a range of filter sizes. I'm not familiar with the 65mm, but the 90 SA f8 will require a 67mm, the 150 Symmar S, a 58mm, the 210 Symmar S, a 77mm and I believe the 300 and 360 Symmars will need 90mm and 110mm respectively. It sounds like you might want to consider a couple of standard filter sizes to keep from having to attach heavy holders and adapters to the smaller lenses. I still have my 210 Symmar S, but leave it at home most of the time and take an old Kodak f7.7 203mm Ektar with me in the field. I have a slip on step up adapter for it that allows me to use 52mm filters which is what most of my other lenses require. The only exception is my wide angle which is a 110 Super Symmar that needs 67mm. That said, I don't make use of grads and so all my filters are round screw-in types. I have shades that fit in front and that pretty much takes care of it. With grads, you will probably need a compendium shade with filter slots so you can use square filters and adjust vertically to get the gradation positioned where you want it. These systems can cost a bunch of money when you start calculating the cost of large filters. One other difficulty you might run into with the older lenses is finding the adapters. 58mm, 67mm, 77mm are pretty common, but I don't know about the other sizes.

Capocheny
28-Jun-2006, 02:19
Barry,

I only have the 360 Symmar f6.8 from your gouping of lenses and can tell you that buying filters for this puppy is going to set you back the price of a small Volkswagon bug... especially if you like Heliopans and B&W! :)

IIRC, the size is a 105 mm.

If you have the leather lenscap... be sure NOT to lose it! It's also worth its weight in gold!

You've got a very nice kit there and I hope you'll remember "MUM" every time you trip that shutter! :)

Cheers

Barry F
28-Jun-2006, 02:36
Ron, Emmanuel, Robert and Capocheny,

Many, many thanks for the quick replies. From the advice given I've established the filter sizes (and gobsmacked at the prices of the larger ones :eek: ). I already have some 49mm, 58mm and 67mm filters so it could be worse I suppose. The 360mm is a heavy, large monster and unfortunately at the moment both the rear and front elements are unprotected. I have the leather front cap for the 300mm and the plastic rear cap - all of the others have both front and rear plastic caps and all lenses are excellent++ condition.

Just as an aside, I paid GPB1000 (USD1800) for the system which, in addition to the six lenses comprised: -
Sinar F2 monorail camera,
Wide angle bellows,
Wista 6x7 RF back,
10 DDS's,
Extension rail,
Sinar hard case,
2 Polaroid 545 backs,
10m air controlled cable release,
2 ' standard metal cable release.

Albeit I'm new to LF I think I got a good deal :)

Barry

Patrik Roseen
28-Jun-2006, 04:12
To keep the cost of filters down you can also look into using Cokin-P holders and filters to go with it.
There are cokin-p adapters that will fit most of your lenses, even the 300 Symmar, which I think is the 86mm one. These screw into the lens and the cokin-p holder is then attached onto the circular adapter. With this filter holder it is also possible to use a combination of rectangular filters e.g. circular polarizer, ND-grad and red filter etc.
This means you only need basically one filter of each type.

(I have not tried the cokin-p on the wider angle lenses such as the 65mm and 90mm angulon where the holder might cause vinjetting(?) )

robc
28-Jun-2006, 05:35
Since you are in the UK I would look at a Lee filter system. They are based in Andover in Hampshire and you can order direct from them. These are pro systems and they make filters for the movie/theatre industry as well as stills photography.

The initial system system is not too cheap but not too expensive either. There is a one size filter holder which fits to lens and bellows fits to holder. Each lens requires a step ring so that filter holder will fit it. filters are 100mm x 100mm size and they make very good filter kits for both B+W and colour work. Their ND Grads are good.

http://www.leefilters.com/home.asp

You can buy a bellows with a single or double filter holder built into it or if you want to combine more filters, then a separate bellows and holder is the way to go.

Whether its big enough for your largest lenses I don't know.

Ole Tjugen
28-Jun-2006, 08:42
Lee filters should do the trick, or at least they can be used for all your lenses. The filter is slightly smaller than your 360 Symmar, but that won't be a problem since you won't need anywhere near the full coverage: It was designed to cover 30x40cm (12x16"), and is a "normal lens" for 24x30cm.

The Lee holders can also be assembled (by yourself) in a wide-angle configuration which should avoid vignetting with all your lenses except the 65mm. But that lens has absolutely minimal coerage on 4x5", and is not really recommended for that film size (so it might well vignette even without a filter).

David A. Goldfarb
28-Jun-2006, 08:57
You've got a fairly extensive kit there. Are you sure you don't already have the Sinar filter holder? That could be your solution. It attaches to a rod that attaches to the front standard and swings away 180 degrees, so that if you want to use it with a polarizer, you can rotate it in the "off" position, and swing it back, and it will be oriented properly.

You can also attach a spare bellows to the same rod and use it as a shade. If you've got two L-shaped plastic clips, these are for attaching a bellows to the rod.

Capocheny
28-Jun-2006, 09:54
Barry,

That is a pretty reasonable price paid for the kit... :)

I agree with David regarding the Sinar filter holder... but, IIRC, the lens diameter is a bit bigger than the holder diameter. I'll check when I get home this evening. If you can pick up a used F standard to use as a bellows shade suppport, it's a good way of going. Used standards are selling for next to nothing thee days!

The alternative way to deal with filtration on this beast is to mount a holder behind the lens. Yes, it's a pita but it'll be far less costly than those big filters!

If you're looking for a filter for protective purposes, the leather lenscap is what I've been using for the past 8 years and it's always prevented damage to the lens. If you don't have one, S.K. Grimes can make a metal version that'll be more than sturdy! Not cheap... but it'll be sturdy! :)

BTW, when you're using the 360, depending on the magnification desired, I'd suggest you use it with a second rail clamp and the support bar for maximum stability. ANY slight movement / vibration (even when walking across a wood sprung floor) could cause a blurry image.

It's sure a gorgeous piece of glass though!

Cheers

Barry F
28-Jun-2006, 23:03
Hi all,

Once again, thanks for the excellent advice. I've put Lee filters at the top of my shopping list re my next purchase(s).

Barry