PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade my groundglass

brian steinberger
21-Jun-2006, 20:19
I have a Wista 45 SP and am looking to replace the original groundglass with something brighter and easier to focus. I've read a lot of things in here about different manufactuers (Beattie, Satin Snow,etc.) Any recommendations?

KenM
21-Jun-2006, 20:38
The Satin Snow GG, while a good GG, is a plain GG, and will probably be as bright as your current screen, or certainly within 1/2 a stop either way. I know that I switched from a Linhof Superscreen (warped piece of garbage!) to a Satin Snow, and it was noticeably dimmer - granted, the Superscreen is a combination GG/fresnel, so the decreased amount of light on the screen was expected. However, there is no issue of trying to focus with the grooves of the fresnel getting in the way....

I'm planning on getting a Maxwell screen. I've read in a few different places that the grooves on the Maxwell are very fine, and do not intrude when trying to focus with wide angle lenses. I believe Brian Ellis has a Maxwell, and he has nothing but good things to say about them (hope I got that right - if not, sorry Brian!)

The Maxwell screen for a 4x5 is certainly not cheap - it's something around $250 US. I'm not sure of the $$ for the Beattie screen. Satin Snow screens are very cheap for the quality you get - I have two in case I break one.

Brian Ellis
21-Jun-2006, 21:23
I've used Beattie, three or four BosScreens, OEM Fresnels with Ebony and Tachihara cameras, a Linhof screen of some kind, a Maxwell, and various plain ground glass screens. I ordered a Satin Snow but it didn't fit my camera so I wasn't able to use it.

IMHO the Maxwell is the best of the bunch, followed by the BosScreen. While the Maxwell is a Fresnel it doesn't seem to present the same focusing problems when using a loupe as most Fresnels do. It also works very well with wide angle lenses. I used it with an 80mm lens and the edges were as bright as the center. BosScreens aren't true "brightening" screens but they spread the light evenly across the entire screen so the image appears brighter. Because they aren't Fresnels they don't share the same focusing and "off-axis" problems as most Fresnels. OTOH, the wax inside can melt in extreme heat and bubbles can appear in extreme cold. I never photograph in extreme cold but I did photograph in Florida a lot and never had a melting wax problem so I don't know how extreme the heat has to be to cause problems. If you don't mind the $250 cost of the Maxwell that's what I'd recommend, otherwise the BosScreen for $150. Or you could try the Satin Snow, it certainly doesn't cost much and it might work well, if not you aren't out much money.

Ron Marshall
21-Jun-2006, 22:16
I have a Bosscreen, a standard Sinar and a Satin Snow. The Bosscreen is great to focus with, but a bit delicate; a slight separation occured after a light knock. The Satin Snow is definately brighter than the standard Sinar.

Capocheny
21-Jun-2006, 23:28
I have a Bosscreen, a standard Sinar and a Satin Snow. The Bosscreen is great to focus with, but a bit delicate; a slight separation occured after a light knock. The Satin Snow is definately brighter than the standard Sinar.

I don't know Ron, IMHO, the Sinar screen isn't terrible to use and is fairly bright. I'd say the SatinSnow is a tad bit brighter but it's not brighter by a long shot.

Brian,

Give the SatinSnow a try and if you don't find it that much brighter then go with one of the other screens. If anything ever happens to the screen you choose... you've at least got a back-up screen. The SatinSnow is, as Brian said, "doesn't cost much and it might work well, if not you aren't out much money."

Cheers

Bob Salomon
22-Jun-2006, 00:27
Does your Wista have just a ground glass or does it have the Wista sandwich of a ground glass, fresnel and a cover glass? If just a GG the sandwich is much much brighter.

brian steinberger
22-Jun-2006, 05:45
Bob,

I have the sandwich with the fresnel. But I'm trying to get something as bright and easy to focus as I can.

cblurton
22-Jun-2006, 05:54
Hi Brian:

In case you need the URLs for the manufacturers:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=18137

Best wishes,

Craig

brian steinberger
22-Jun-2006, 18:57
I just ordered a satin snow. It's only $15. I'll try that and see how I like it. I'll post an update on here when I get it.

Stephen Sample
13-Jul-2006, 13:13
I'd vote on the satin snow. For the price, you can't beat it! Also, Dave Parker has great customer service. I need a new screen for an upcoming trip and he had one to me in a week!

robc
13-Jul-2006, 13:30
fresnels have a focal length and in theory, there is an optimum FL fresnel for each lens you use with it. In practice, you get what the maker supplies and they work best with wider angle lenses because it is wider angle lenses which have most light fall off.
The finer the GG is ground, the easier/brighter it is to see. But, easier to see doesn't necessarily mean easier to focus. The coarser ground glass tends to snap into focus whereas brighter screens such as boscreen don't. i.e. you need to be very careful with a loupe to get true focus. My Linhof GG snaps into focus but isn't as bright as my Boscreen. Take your pick. Everyone goes through this process and often try many screens before realising that they are all much of a muchness. If they weren't, the camera manufacturers would all be using the one which stands out from the crowd.

Eric Biggerstaff
13-Jul-2006, 13:34
Brian,

I have used original screens on my Zone VI and Tachihara, Beattie screens, Satin Snow, and ones that I make myself.

I have to say, I prefer the ones I make myself with the Satin Snow a close second. They are probably equal in terms of brightness and quality but I just like the pride of making my own, and they cost maybe $3 bucks each.

I think you will find the Satin Snow a good glass and the service is good as well. I generally photograph in the evening hours and while it may not be the brightest screen in the world it works fine for me.

Have a great one.

Leonard Evens
13-Jul-2006, 14:22
I have a Maxwell screen for my Toho FC-45X. It cost about $220, but it was well worth the price.

G.A. Landrum
13-Jul-2006, 14:58
Hi everyone,

I am new here and thought I would throw something out that you don't hear much about anymore. If your looking for the brightest highest contrast image to focus on you should try aerial focusing. There is no groundglass artifacts to get in the way. You must bore holes in the ground glass large enough to be able to see a portion of the scene. The goundglass is still present to support your loupe on the correct plane, but you focus directly on the rear element of the lens. Sometimes it's a pain because what you want to focus on isn't near the hole in the glass. I have seen ground glasses that have several holes in different spots to help. I think it was more prevalent in the old days because the lenses where slower.

I bought a Satin Snow and didn't think it lived up to the propaganda.

G.A.

Andrew Ito
13-Jul-2006, 17:08
Another vote for the Maxwell. I had one on my little Ebony 23S and it was MUCH better than the stock Ebony screen. Very fine and easy to focus and brighter as well.

KenM
13-Jul-2006, 19:16
I have a Maxwell screen for my Toho FC-45X. It cost about $220, but it was well worth the price.

What are the min/max focal lengths that you use, and what screen did you get? I'm considering getting a Maxwell screen, and I'm leaning towards the 'normal' screen, since most of my lenses tend towards the longer lengths....

Tom Micklin
13-Jul-2006, 22:00
I use a Maxwell on my 4x5 and absolutely love it.
For 5x7, I decided to try the Satin Snow - couldn't resist the price.
Since I've been using it, I haven't had any problems and don't see any reason to continue with it and not spend the big bucks for the Maxwell.
Tom

Lazybones
13-Jul-2006, 22:35
Hey there! I have a Toyo 45AII. Would the Maxwell be of benefit to me?

Tom Micklin
14-Jul-2006, 06:18
I use a Maxwell on my 4x5 and absolutely love it.
For 5x7, I decided to try the Satin Snow - couldn't resist the price.
Since I've been using it, I haven't had any problems and don't see any reason to continue with it and not spend the big bucks for the Maxwell.
Tom

Sorry, that should read "don't see any reason to NOT continue with it" and then not spend the big buck for another Maxwell.

Satin Snow does a great job for a great price.

Tom

KenM
14-Jul-2006, 20:45
Hey there! I have a Toyo 45AII. Would the Maxwell be of benefit to me?

I had a 45AII, and it already has a fresnel....and a darn good one, if I remember correctly - it was about 5 years ago now :D

Ash
15-Jul-2006, 06:06
Eric are you using automotive grinding paste for your DIY screens?

Colin Graham
15-Jul-2006, 08:58
Eric are you using automotive grinding paste for your DIY screens?
Cant speak for Eric but aluminum oxide grit works very well. I go from 25 down to 9 micron. Any finer it starts to get clear again! http://www.gotgrit.com

Lazybones
15-Jul-2006, 15:22
I had a 45AII, and it already has a fresnel....and a darn good one, if I remember correctly - it was about 5 years ago now :D

That's what I thought. Thanks!

KenM
15-Aug-2006, 19:37
Just an update to an earlier post on this thread - I did go ahead and purchase a Maxwell screen for my Master Technika, and I received it today. It fits perfectly (better than the original Linhof Super Screen - by a mile), and installation was very simple. The brightness increase over the plain GG I had previously installed is very noticeable, and should help immensely with my wide angle lenses.