PDA

View Full Version : Re-inserting dark slide with polaroid holder mounted

Rider
14-Jun-2006, 10:33
My first session with the view camera yesterday left me with a few questions. First and foremost on my mind:

How do you reinsert the dark slide in the polaroid holder in order to take out the holder and recompose or change to another holder?

The holder I am using is for 3x4 pack film (I am actually using the Fuji brand holder PA-45 or PA-145).

Because of the pressure from the back, the dark slide just would not go in. This would mean losing 1 sheet every time I wanted to focus, recompose or change film--not a very cost-effective option.

Any tips for reinserting the dark slide would be highly appreciated!

Donald Qualls
14-Jun-2006, 18:31
As I recall, the 405 holder has the dark slide slot on the opposite end from where you pull out the film to process -- are you sure you're putting it back where it came from and not where they go on every other 4x5 back ever made? ;)

Failing that, some cameras that aren't made for Graflok compatible accessories will have the "foot" end of the film holder pocket too "tall" and there won't be enough clearance to get the slide back into the slot (that was the case with my Aletta, built according to the Aletta assembly book). You could easily miss this when inserting the holder and work the dark slide over the end of the pocket, but if the 405 drops even a millimeter when you pull the dark slide out, you'll never get it back in. Solution: modify the camera back for compatibility, if use of the 405 is important to you (BTW, if this end of the film back is too high, you'll have trouble with a 545 back too, I think -- certainly, my 500 didn't fit). In my case, I removed the ground glass panel from the camera back and used a utility knife to cut down the wood at end of the pocket. Depending what camera you have, what tools are available, and what skills you possess, this may or may not be a DIY project...

Rider
14-Jun-2006, 19:57
It's a pretty heavy duty view camera (Toyo View 45G), so I think it's supposed to be designed to take these kinds of holders. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I will try again and see what happens.

Patrik Roseen
15-Jun-2006, 12:03
Rider, I have a Polaroid 405 holder and I find it hard to reinsert the darkslide even when it is not mounted to the camera.

However, as I pull my darkslide out there is an indication (red color) that comes visible to tell me when to stop pulling it, meaning that the film is fully exposed. It means that the darkslide is not intended to be removed all the way. Hope this helps...Good luck.

Patrik Roseen
15-Jun-2006, 12:31
...Because of the pressure from the back, the dark slide just would not go in....

Well it struck me? This 'pressure from the back' sounds strange to me...are you actually pushing the polaroid filmholder in under the ground glass? The holder I have got is supposed to be used without the groundglass attached. It is instead attached by pushing down the metal clips on the back.

Rider
15-Jun-2006, 12:34
I pushed the polaroid holder under the ground glass.

Patrik Roseen
15-Jun-2006, 12:59
Hmmm..as I have not seen the holder you are using and you managed to push it in there...then maybe that's the way it is supposed to be...but the pack film is quite thick is it not? Can you post a picture of the holder?

Anyway,try not to remove the darkslide completely and see if it helps?

Donald Qualls
15-Jun-2006, 22:19
The Polaroid 405 and 550, as well as the 500 and 545, are supposed to be usable with spring backs, not just with Graflok types with the focusing panel removed.

Rider
16-Jun-2006, 04:34
The Polaroid 405 and 550, as well as the 500 and 545, are supposed to be usable with spring backs, not just with Graflok types with the focusing panel removed.

I am not sure what that means. Is the one I have a Graflok back or a spring back? It's a Toyo View 45G. Should I try removing the back? Here is a picture of the holder (Fuji PA-145).

Patrik Roseen
16-Jun-2006, 05:16
Rider, I'm not familiar with your Toyo camera...but this is what Donald means:

Graflok back (http://cgi.ebay.com/GRAFLEX-GRAPHIC-4x5-GRAFLOK-BACK-ASSEMBLY_W0QQitemZ7628928959QQihZ017QQcategoryZ15247QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
NOTE: I have no interest in this particular product sale!!

If you look at the pictures in the add you will see that it is possible to push a filmholder under the groundglass back...as you do. Then it is also possible to remove the ground glass and attach the filmholder by sliding the blank metal-clips over the top and bottom edge of the holder (assuming these edges are there)...sometime the holder has rails into which the clips should slide in as you push them sideways.
As I said I do not know if your Toyo has these metal clips.

BTW, I could not see your picture.

Rider
6-Jul-2006, 07:51
Leaving the dark slide partially inserted seems to have done the trick. Thank you!

Patrik Roseen
6-Jul-2006, 14:28
Nice of you to come back and tell us about your success...Good luck in the future!

Louie Powell
6-Jul-2006, 19:13
My comments relate to the Polaroid 405 holder.

The darkslide is on the opposite end of the holder from the slot that the film comes out of. There is a red line on the darkslide - the instructions that come with the holder (which most folks don't have if they bought the holder used) say to never pull the darkslide out further than the red line. I know (from experience) that if you do, getting it back in is a PITA and generally involves wasting a sheet of film.

But with some cameras there is another problem. I used a 405 with my Zone VI for a workshop a few years ago. Fortunately, the 405 will slip under bail ground glass back of this camera (although just barely - it's a very tight fit). I found that I was getting some image fogging. After spoiling a number of sheets of material, I finally realized that the problem is that the darkslide handle is very short, and when it is fully "in", it is very close to the back of the camera. When I tried to grasp the darkslide to pull it out, I was inadvertantly slipping my finger under the darkslide handle, and in the course of doing that, pulling the holder slightly away from the back of the camera.