PDA

View Full Version : Alaska National Parks - July 1-11

QT Luong
13-Jun-2006, 23:14
I plan to be around Anchorage July 1-11, with two main objectives: Kenai Fjords NP and Wrangell St Elias NP. The first one will involve backpacking and kayaking (with boat drop off), the second hiking/backpacking with plane drop-off. The total cost should be around $1000/person from Anchorage. So far, I am solo. If interested in joining, please let me know. Note that this will be one of the last occasions to shoot alongside me for free :-)

Peter Collins
14-Jun-2006, 09:11
QT,
I saw a little bit of the Kenai Fjords NP and I hope you have a well-researched, based-on-sound-info plan. It was in June. Expect lots of overcast skies and banks of shore-hugging fog--like ground clouds. On land, with this visibility, you may be restricted to pointing your camera down for small details! Or wait for a break in the weather!! If the former, you can find similar subjects without resorting to a kayak!

I 'lucked out' at Denali. A huge high-pressure system settled over south-central Alaska and delivered four clear days in a row at the solstice (Sunset: ~12:20, Sunrise: ~3:40).

Best of luck!

QT Luong
16-Jun-2006, 01:33
As you can see from David Muench's images of the Northwestern Fjord, a bit of light fog can be very nice.

Robert Skeoch
29-Aug-2006, 14:52
Hi QT,

A couple questions about the trip you took.
What type of Kayak are you using to carry the gear and camp equipment.
Do you use a plastic boat or a lighter composite.
Do you find you can get enough gear in the hatches?
-Rob Skeoch