PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Monorail

munz6869
12-Jun-2006, 04:10
Hello everybody,

I have a lovely 70's-looking KenHansen View 4x5 monorail view camera, which I assume is from Mr Hansen's (now closed?) New York shop. It looks very similar to a Toyo of the same era, and maybe is a re-badged one of some sort - in any case it's a fine camera, but the bellows on my example are ruined, and so I'm wondering if anyone knows any info about them - can I use a Toyo bellows on them, and were many made?

I posted this on APUG a month ago, and stacks of folks have read the post but noone replied... so, to the experts, if you can!!

Cheers, Marc (newbie-ish)

Frank Petronio
12-Jun-2006, 04:26
If you have the original front and back frames, a bellows manufacturer can fabricate a new bellows to your specs. Do a search or ask advice for the best manufacturers, but it is fairly common to do this.

Ralph Barker
12-Jun-2006, 08:14
Although I've heard of the Ken Hansen cameras, I've never actually seen or used one. The big issue on bellows replacement, I think, is how the original bellows was attached, and whether they were interchangeable (i.e. removeable). The Toyo bellows use top and bottom slider bars to secure the bellows into the standards, with the slider bar fitting into slots along the top and bottom of the bellows frames. If the Hansen is similarly constructed, there is a slight chance that a Toyo bellows might work. If you need precise measurements from a Toyo to see if it might work, let me know.

Ted Harris
12-Jun-2006, 17:18
Ken Hansen is still in business although the retail store has closed. Why not send him an email at: KHPNY19@aol.com

munz6869
13-Jun-2006, 06:56
Thanks everybody!

I do have the bellows frames (and the old bellows) and they look very "toyo-like"! That said, I have off an email to Ken Hansen and shall duly report any findings!!

Cheerio, Marc