PDA

View Full Version : TOP lightmeters starlite vs L558 vs Flashmeter VI

archivue
2-Jun-2006, 20:52
While MinoltaKonica are discontinued, i've just found a shop that still have one in stock... but i don't know if i should buy it, considering the fact that MinoltaKonica is out of the race... warranty, parts, etc..

Considering this 3 meters, Gossen Starlite vs Sekonic L558 vs Minolta Flashmeter VI which one is the best (architecture photography) ? Prices are very close...

Thanks

palantiri7
2-Jun-2006, 21:12
I use a Gossen Starlight and, as it's the only handheld meter I have used, I cannot offer much in the way of comparisons. However, I will list my complaints!

1. No exposure information in the viewfinder;
2. It eats batteries, even if I use it sparingly and switch it off after use;
3. Its low-light sensitivity is disappointing; the light meter in my Canon EOS 3 can actually give me accurate exposures under moonlit conditions, whereas the Gossen reads "Err";
4. Easy to lose lens cap

Apart from that, it does what it is supposed to do. Exposures are accurate and the Zone function is useful. This is a good light meter, but I don't exactly 'love' it. :)

Capocheny
3-Jun-2006, 02:36
Even though Minolta is getting out of the business... I wouldn't worry too, too much about it. My personal experience with these meters is that they are pretty darn reliable and if you're going to have any problems with it... you'll know soon enough.

I've been using a couple of Minolta Flashmeter III's for the past number of years and have experienced absolutely no problems with them! :) (Knock on wood! :))

Secondly, I would think there are independent repair folks out there who are capable of repairing these meters and will have access to parts for the immediate future.

Aside from the above issue (and, I suppose it IS a very real concern)... I've found these meters to be really accurate and the only drawback to the III is their size. It's far from being a small meter.

Alternatively, the 558 is a great meter too and you wouldn't go far wrong with it. So, if you're really concerned about the meter giving you a hard time in the future... this is a good one to go with. As a matter of fact... I've been thinking about one of these strictly as a backup for my Minolta III's. :)

Cheers

archivue
5-Jun-2006, 14:27
Considering parts for Minolta Meters, here in france there's just one place to have one of this repair : PHOTO MS in Paris, they have a deal with Sony !

Amund BLix Aaeng
5-Jun-2006, 16:24
I went trough similar thoughts before buying a L-558, what sold me is that it`s almost waterproof. No complaints at all, great meter.

brian reed
5-Jun-2006, 20:19
I would give the nod to the L-588. I just got mine the other day, its a L-588r, has wireless flash trigger and also the L-588 has the 2nd ISO button which can be dedicated for filter compensation or used however you'd like.
BR

Graeme Hird
5-Jun-2006, 20:55
Just to even up the ledger: I love my Starlite.

1. I don't need to see the information in the finder. I have a memory and I can compare the numbers easily enough.
2. Mine does not chew up the battery - a single alkaline AA battery. Mine will last months without needing to change it. Carry a spare and you're never going to be left in the lurch.
3. I've never run out of sensitivity in normal picture taking light. Reciprocity failure would render a reading made in moonlight useless for me in any case. However, I'm often shooting after sunset and before sunrise. The meter has not let me down in these situations.
4. I took the lens caps off before I even took the meter into the field. Once the meter is inside its case (ie when I'm not using it) nothing scratches the lenses. I've had mine for two years - no scratches. I've still got the caps - somewhere - but I don't need them.

Unless I lose this one, I can't see myself ever buying another meter. And if I do lose it - I'll buy another one just like it!

Cheers,
Graeme

I use a Gossen Starlight and, as it's the only handheld meter I have used, I cannot offer much in the way of comparisons. However, I will list my complaints!

1. No exposure information in the viewfinder;
2. It eats batteries, even if I use it sparingly and switch it off after use;
3. Its low-light sensitivity is disappointing; the light meter in my Canon EOS 3 can actually give me accurate exposures under moonlit conditions, whereas the Gossen reads "Err";
4. Easy to lose lens cap

Apart from that, it does what it is supposed to do. Exposures are accurate and the Zone function is useful. This is a good light meter, but I don't exactly 'love' it. :)

palantiri7
5-Jun-2006, 21:04
Glad you have a memory and I don't, Graeme!

brian reed
6-Jun-2006, 12:09
Sorry, I meant the L-558r, it was late when I posted.
BR

archivue
6-Jun-2006, 12:17
i change my mind every 5 minutes... minolta....sekonic....minolta...

joolsb
5-Jul-2006, 10:52
Another vote for the 558. It's great to be able to spotmeter the highlights and then switch to incident for the foreground. Plus it'll remember a whole bunch of readings and display them simultaneously. Great for working out where to place your midtones.

Ted Harris
5-Jul-2006, 14:54
I don't recall if the Minolta meter you mention has spot metering capability. That canbe an important consideration depending on what you intend to use the meter for. If most of you ruse is outside and you will be limited to reflected metering from a distance then a spotmeter is a real plus. If, on the other hand, you are working indoors, shooting interiors and can use an incidence meter then perhaps the need for the spot meter isn't so great. Beyond that, do you need a flash meter? Once you h ave considered all the capabilities you want in a meter pick the one that fits your shooting style best,that feels good in your hand,whose display you like, etc.

Holy wars have raged over meters but basically they are nothing more than a reference tool and you can calibrate your shooting to any meter that works so pick one you like.

Ed K.
5-Jul-2006, 15:32
Another vote for the 558. A remarkably accurate, simple to use, versatile meter. While it seemed pricey, I've never looked back since getting it. Every feature I could want, when I want it, and simple when I'm in a hurry.

If you do end up getting one, or any spot meter for that matter, find a way to prevent stray light from falling on the front while you take readings. The 558 has a threaded filter-ring adapter that doubles as a small lens shade. You can then also install a really cool pop up cap that works as a lens cover - deploys in one press of the little red arm with your index finger. For me, this is the best setup. See attached photos for shade and cap.

Sheldon N
5-Jul-2006, 15:59
That's very cool, Ed. Where did you get the pop up cap? I'm considering a Sekonic 558 as a replacement for both my Pentax Spotmeter V and Gossen Ultra Pro flashmeter, and would love to have the flip cap as an addition.

Ed K.
5-Jul-2006, 16:28
Filmtools.com has them. Show them a photo of it if they aren't sure which pieces. They may have the filter adapter/shade, the popup cap, and possibly the meter itself, although they cater primarily to the film production trade ( don't buy the Cine version of the 558 unless you need cine features - it costs much more ).

Sheldon N
5-Jul-2006, 20:54
Thanks!

Kirk Keyes
6-Jul-2006, 08:13
I don't recall if the Minolta meter you mention has spot metering capability.

I've got a Flashmeter VI, and it does both spot and ambient.

I was carrying aroud both a Flashmeter IV and a Pentax Spotmeter V, and I've now replaced them both with the FLashmeter VI. I cannot recommend it enough!

The FM VI does show spot info in the viewfinder, which I find essential with a spot meter. Why spend all that time trying to remember a value when you can simply see it in the display. And it displays in real time - hold the button in, and then scan the scene, and it will show you the readings. It can display in both f/stop and difference from a reference measurement. I usually meter a desired value, and then lock that point into memory, and then take readings in defference mode to see the range of brightness in the scene.

Another thing I like about the FM VI, is I can meter in ambient, lock that reading as a reference, and then take difference readings in either ambient or spot. Really handy and quick.

I would not worry about the meter not lasting. My FM IV is about 20 years old and it still works great. The FM VI seems very similar in build and I would expect a long life as well.

If you pass on the FM VI, look at the Starlite. I borrowed one for a day and it had a really nice Zone System metering system and scale display built right into the meter.

ppisczak
15-Jul-2006, 04:10
Just to add my $0.02 I've used Minolta meters in the past and very much liked them. When I needed a spot meter I purchased a Gossen Starlite mainly because it is more weather and rain resistant than the other ones. Important when one is trudging around forests and glens with the early morning dew. I can't compare it to any of the Sekonics, though that was the one I orginally had my heart set on. Love the Gossen, but I have to admit it is the first fairly high end meter I've ever owned and considering it cost more than some of my lenses, I guess I better! :)

How about when you make your purchase you write a review after awhile and let us know how you made out? Would be great for the rest of us. Good luck!

PJ

Chan Tran
21-Jul-2006, 08:25
I bought the last Minolta flashmeter VI from B&H. I like Minolta meters having used the flashmeter II, 2 flashmeter III, 2 spotmeter M so I picked the Minolta. One thing I miss on the FM VI as compared to the Starlight or the L-558 is the ability to do non cord in spot mode. Other features are missing as well but I don't miss them like aperture priority mode, better analyzing feature on the Sekonic etc..