PDA

View Full Version : Scanner for LF

Hugo Zhang
2-Jun-2006, 06:23
Being a person who stubbornly believes only in contact prints, I have been resisting the idea of storing my images in the computer and sharing them with friends over the internet. When people ask to see my pictures, I always say that we have to meet in person. I bought my daughter a Sony digital for Christmas last year and now see the ease it has over internet. Now even Michael and Paula have their AZO images on their website, the unthinkable for me just one year ago. So I guess the time has come for me to use a scanner for my 8x10s.

So the question: what is a basic easy-to-use scanner for 8x10 B&W pictures?

Thanks.

Ralph Barker
2-Jun-2006, 06:33
For scanning prints for Web display, almost any scanner will do, Hugo. The first question is budget. The second question is the software that comes with it, and how much control over the scanning process it (the software) provides. My preference, software-wise, is Silverfast, which comes bundled with some of the better Epson scanners.

steviebabes
2-Jun-2006, 06:52
Hi Hugo,

The Microtek i900 is super value if you shop carefully. I got mine a year or so ago for £330 ($500, once UK sales tax is removed?). Anyway, if you are looking for a balance between price and performance then do pop across to the Microtek website and review the features of the i900. I like its separate scanning methods - glass flatbed (large!) for prints, documents, etc, and sliding tray underneath for negs & trannies (complete with sturdy plastic 35mm, 6x6/7, 4x5 holders for negs/trannies, and a glass holder for other sizes).

Some might regard it as big and heavy, though. Solid, sexy and reliable is how I see it!

Steven.

Brian Ellis
2-Jun-2006, 07:03
Buy the least expensive scanner you can find. Virtually any functioning scanner will work if all you want is internet quality. I have to respectfully disagree with Steven's suggestion, I wouldn't pay $500 or anything very close to that for a scanner that will be used only for that purpose. But watch out - you just might start to like this. : - )

Ron Marshall
2-Jun-2006, 07:12
Hugo, any scanner will do for the web, but you may like the control offered by Photoshop and consider some sort of digital output. In that case a better scanner, such as the Epson 4990, will give you that option as well.

I recently tried Piezography on a refurbished Epson 2200 ($445) with seven neutral gray inks and was completely satisfied by the quality.

Capocheny
2-Jun-2006, 13:38
Hi Hugo,

For what you want to do... I'd go with an Epson 3200.

It's a very low cost scanner that gives more than enough functionality for what you want to do... and more!

However, as Brian suggests... "you might start to like this!" :)

Cheers