PDA

View Full Version : Fidelity holders

Serge J-F. Levy
26-May-2006, 08:43
I just purchased some used Fidelity holders and some of them had darkslides that were familiar to me while others were not. Normally, the darkslide has a glossy finish and slides in and out smoothly. However, some of these holders have darkslides that are rather matt and sound almost sandy when they go in. They are literally cut from the same mold (at least what is apparent to my eyes) but have a different finish. Could someone tell me their thoughts on what the difference is and whether I was sold bum materials?

Thanks,
Serge

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
26-May-2006, 09:01
The newest Fidelity holders have a kind of matt or hammered darkslides.
Those are just as good and slide smoother than the old ones.

Robert Skeoch
26-May-2006, 10:06
I have both types also... someone told me the new ones were Kevlar but I'm not sure if it's true.
-Rob

Brian Vuillemenot
26-May-2006, 10:26
I have both types also... someone told me the new ones were Kevlar but I'm not sure if it's true.
-Rob

Good to know- next time I'm using my 8X10 in a field of bullets, I'll be protected! ;)

Steven Barall
26-May-2006, 16:31
I've had my share of bulletproof negatives but I've never had any bulletproof holders.

Ralph Barker
26-May-2006, 16:35
They come in handy when the trees and rocks start shooting back.

Michael Graves
26-May-2006, 18:25
Hey Steve,

I'll bet you've never had any negatives as bulletproof as the first ones I ever processed in HC-110. I didn't realize the instructions for diluting the developer were based on having already made a stock solution. So I diluted the syrup 1:9 and went merrily about developing my film. Still; those films came in handy. I use them for light-proofing material in my darkroom.

Brian Vuillemenot
26-May-2006, 19:54
They come in handy when the trees and rocks start shooting back.

Yes, "Mother Nature" is usually not the benevolent benefactor she's made out to be!
Any advice for when the trees and rocks start talking back? ;)

Ralph Barker
26-May-2006, 20:11
. . . Any advice for when the trees and rocks start talking back? ;)
Does this mean that you're not already listening to what the trees and rocks have to say, Brian? I talk to them all the time, and they seem to be responding. Then again, it might just be the wind whistling through my cranial void. ;)

Emrehan Zeybekoglu
27-May-2006, 13:51
Fidelity holders are OK but TOYO is much better. You can feel the difference in quality as soon as you pick up one. Their dark slides also slide in & out smoothly. They're a bit more expensive than Fidelity but I think they're worth the difference.

JW Dewdney
28-May-2006, 21:47
I think someone was just having you on. Kevlar is a woven fabric - and you'd never be able to conceal the weave texture in a sheet that thin. No way.