PDA

View Full Version : Pentax digital spot w/LCD-experiences?

Tom Westbrook
20-May-2006, 09:32
Due to a mishap, I need to replace my Pentax digital spot meter. I noticed that Rbt White has one with an LCD EV display in place of the red LEDs mine has. Does anyone have any experience with the new one and can say how the LCD model works in various ambient lighting conditions? I sometimes use mine in the dark and want to be sure the display is visible in those conditions, but also, if back-lit, doesn't overwhelm the scene being metered. The LEDs were dim enough not to be a problem, but just want to be sure about the LCD before committing. I also want to know if in a brightly lit situation the display is easily visible.

Some advice in return: Never drive over your light meter--it's bad for it.

Ralph Barker
20-May-2006, 10:19
Some advice in return: Never drive over your light meter--it's bad for it.

All I can say is, "Ouch!" (I use Sekonic meters, so can't comment on the Pentax digital w/LCD. The backlight in my Sekonic comes on automatically when needed, and is quite easy to read. I would assume [with your money ;) ] the Pentax to be similar.)

Tony Lakin
21-May-2006, 01:42
Hi Tom
I have tried both of these meters, the lcd readout on the latest imroved version is almost the same as the original one, I expected the new one to have a completely different display showing actual figures however it has red lights similar to the leds on the old one however they are a bit brighter, I bought the new one because I purchased a used Zone VI modified old version to replace my (heavier but accurate) zone VI modified Pentax V analogue meter.
In view of my experience and the fact that I have had a cataract operation which affects both my close up vision and my ability to see in low light I would say the following.
The new digital meter lcd display is definately easier to see in both brightly backlit and dark conditions than the older led version however personally I have reverted to my old faithfull Pentax V which I find to be the best compromise for me.
I hope this helps you.
Regards
Tony

Bob Gentile
21-May-2006, 09:26
"... Never drive over your light meter--it's bad for it..."
Hmmmm. I'll have to remember that.

Tom Westbrook
21-May-2006, 10:27
Thanks Tony. Just the info I was looking for. I remembered to look on Ebay and there are a bunch up for sale now, so maybe I'll just get a used one.