PDA

View Full Version : shen-hao 4x5 and Kirk BH-3 head

davidb
1-May-2006, 00:46
I'm wondering if anyone is using the Kirk BH-3 head with a Shen-Hao 4x5 ?

Jim Peacock
1-May-2006, 04:57
I use the Kirk BH-3 with my Ebony 4x5 with no problem.

Scott Bacon
1-May-2006, 07:17
I've been using one for about 4 years with my Wista DX - no problems. It is a great ballhead.

Harley Goldman
1-May-2006, 16:30
I used one for a couple of years, with a Wista DXII, an Arca and a Toho. I found it slipped more than I liked and it was a bear (impossible) to totally tighten down the pan knob. I was happy to see it go.

P. Judd
3-May-2006, 06:52
I just received a BH-3 in the mail for my Shen-Hao, and although I haven’t used it in the field yet, I have done some informal tests at home. Even with considerable wrenching on the camera I can’t see any movement or slippage of the ball head. I would think that the rear standard would break before I am able moved the ball head. Additionally, I picked up a Wimberley P-30 Lens Plate, which allows for more freedom in positioning the camera over the CG. Using the camera at full extension with a heavy lens, the P-30 allows me to slide the camera forward providing a fairly balanced setup. Lastly, the P-30 has two screws, allowing you to take advantage of both screw mounts on the Shen-Hao providing increased stability. I would have to say that I’m quite happy with the setup thus far, but only time will tell. Hope this helps.