View Full Version : The large format journal

ADG
27-Apr-2006, 05:24
Anybody seen this ?

www.thelargeformatjournal.com

Seems to be subscription only and UK based

Richard_6553
27-Apr-2006, 06:36
In the past, you've been able to buy a single issue for $2.50 via Ebay or directly from the e-publishers using Paypal. I'm sure they'd prefer subscriptions but you can probably get an issue at a time. I've had an article in one issue, but would buy it anyway. I think it is an excellent use of $2.50.

Richard

Richard Kelham
27-Apr-2006, 06:52
I'll second that – it's excellent value. Watch out for it on eBay.

neil poulsen
27-Apr-2006, 09:54
This is interesting. It's the way things are going. I read most of my news online. I don't pay for it, though. Awhile ago, I'm not sure this form of magazine would have been successful. We'll have to see what happens.

It looks like one downloads a pdf, after subscribing. Dangerous. It could easily be distributed to others. By signing up though, I suspect one agrees not to distribute the journal to others.

From the samples, the text is quite small and can't be enlarged through the browser. But if the actual journal is a pdf, then the problem is solved. The photography comes across quite well on my system.

Also, the site doesn't state the identity of the individuals who are putting this together. Hmm. One can infer from the links who some of the supporters might be, but the site is not open on this. I wonder why.

Joseph O'Neil
27-Apr-2006, 11:35
>> It looks like one downloads a pdf, after subscribing. Dangerous. It could easily be distributed to others. >> By signing up though, I suspect one agrees not to distribute the journal to others.

I don't know if it's so dangerous anymore. For example, after I download and pay for a song off I-tunes, I make a copy for my computer, my MP3 player, my laptop, and a backup, but I'll be darned if I give a copy away to somebody for free. I'm more likely to tell that somebody that at 99 cents a song, go get your own song you cheap &&^%#@!!

:)

Also, consider the subject matter. I mean, who's going to spread pirated copies of a large format photo magazine? One music downloader I use is E-classical, and once you pay for the music, it is completely DRM free - you make as many copies as you want ad nauseum. They don't seem too worried about illegal copying. Brittany Speers latest hit - (whatever it is) yeah, people will copy that, but the latest recordered version of Vivaldia's the Four Seasons ----hmm, naw, don't think so.

Yeah, I can just see it now - the RIAA launches a lawsuit against a 50 year old man for illegal copies of a image circle chart for a 8 inch red dot artar......

:)

joe

Lee Hamiel
27-Apr-2006, 13:11
I bought the first issue & felt it was well worth it - would be nice to have them email you once a new one is available.

It's a lot easier to peruse back issues & topics in pdf form instead of the countless pounds of early magazines I have.

Chuck Pere
28-Apr-2006, 05:45
I'm not sure how I would like reading 99 pages off my computer screen. Maybe I'm too old or read too slow.

Colin Graham
28-Apr-2006, 07:59
How do you read it on the toilet? Suppose I could get a laptop...

David Luttmann
28-Apr-2006, 09:07
Colin,

I thought the large format Epson printers were able to take rolls ;-)

Marko
28-Apr-2006, 09:33
I thought the large format Epson printers were able to take rolls ;-)

As they say in the web business: content is king! ;)

neil: Also, the site doesn't state the identity of the individuals who are putting this together. Hmm. One can infer from the links who some of the supporters might be, but the site is not open on this. I wonder why.

I wonder too - Perhaps they didn't want to be identified with the attrotious design and architecture? ;)

Well, yes, content IS king, but I prefer to get it (and deliver mine) in a more pleasing and user-friendly manner.

As for subscrption issues, Joseph is absolutely right, on several issues. If I buy it, it's mine and even if I wanted to give it away, I don't personally know anobody who would have an interest in it. Obscureness comes with some fringe benefits, though - classical music does indeed come with no DRM and at great prices, which is a deft comparison in more ways than one. LF has become similar kind of niche and hopefully will reman as such.

Chris S
28-Apr-2006, 10:12
I ordered the single Winter issue over 24 hrs ago, and still no download code has been emailed to me.For those who have ordered this, how long did it take to get a download code emailed to you?

Chris

David Luttmann
28-Apr-2006, 10:39
Chris,

I'm glad I'm not alone. I sent them an email as I ordered mine yesterday morning. I still haven't received a password, nor any response to my email. As it is about 5:30pm there Friday, I doubt I'll hear back until Monday morning. Great service.....4 days to get a password for what should be an automated system. Unless they clear this up, it'll be my last issue!

darr
28-Apr-2006, 10:52
"For those who have ordered this, how long did it take to get a download code emailed to you? "

I received the code within 24 hours.

Here is some info about the publication for anyone that is interested. I have the first two issues that I printed so I could read them on the road. The PayPal payment is received by a "Tracy Heaton", and all e-mail correspondence I have received are signed by "Ray" with an e-mail address of: raytracymol@tiscali.co.uk. The issues I have already received are in my opinion poorly composed as far as graphic design goes. The type is way too large for my taste as it takes up unnecessary space, but I guess if your intent is to read it on-line only, maybe it is better "bigger". The content is adequate for the money. I paid US $15.00 for a two year (8 issues) subscription.

CameraArtist :: a photo a day (http://www.cameraartist.com)

Chris S
28-Apr-2006, 15:19
Well its only $2.50 for the single issue, so I thought I'd give er a try, but not automatically generating a pass code upon payment is weak and has already put a bad taste in my mouth, but who knows maybe it will be worth the wait

robc
28-Apr-2006, 15:39
FYI

this Monday (1st May) is a bank holiday in the UK. Many People take Friday off as well and make a short holiday of it so I wouldn't be surprised if you don't hear anything till Tuesday, especially since we have at last got some warmer spring weather.

doesn't make up for no automated system but there you have it...