PDA

View Full Version : problem w/Pro compendium on Toyo VX125

Chris Gardner
19-Apr-2006, 16:16
I recently purchased a used, but nice, compendium shade for my Toyo VS125. I went to attach the hood and found that the center screw would not thread all the way into the front standard. By all the way in, I mean the hood bracket did not even come in contact with the top of the standard. It is seems like the threads bottom out too soon.

On top of that, the outside two alignment pins are too narrow for the holes in the VX front standard. If I ignore the center screw problem it looks like the alignment pins and their respective holes do not quite match, close, but no.

Finally, it looks like if I could mount the shade properly its center is 'high' for my lenses. Is this particular to the VX or is the shade off center on G Toyo models too? I suspect not, but maybe someone knows for sure.

I'm sure I didn't accidently purchase the field version of this shade because of its size. Is anyone else using the Pro compendium on a VX125?

I can attach an image later if my explanation is unclear. Also, as far as I can tell threads in the camera and on the shade are not dinged up.

While I have a VX125 crowd at hand... Does anyone have first hand experience and guarrantee that a Toyo G/GII bag bellows fit the VX. I know the VX bellows are soft, but I still find them to be a little binding with greater amounts of rise and shift together.

Thanks

Bob Salomon
19-Apr-2006, 16:35
Why not just ask Toyo or a Toyo dealer?

Don Cameron
19-Apr-2006, 16:51
I think you have the wrong shade!

The one you need is the field model, which is smaller in over all size, and uses a smaller top mounting block.

I own both and they are quite different. I think your Toyo has the tapered bellows which ends up with the same front standard as the 45A/AX/AII.

www.doncameron.com

Ralph Barker
19-Apr-2006, 17:38
Don - I believe the VX125 uses 158mm lens boards. It's the 45CX that has tapered bellows and uses the 110mm boards from the field models.

Chris -iIf the compendium you have sits high, it's probably the one intended for the smaller field cameras. The one you need is the Toyo #180-626 (with gel holder) or #180-624 (without gel holder), I believe.

Chris Gardner
19-Apr-2006, 20:51
Okay, I thought I would try to get a VX125 user to quickly confirm that they use their shade with no problems or not. Let me try with images, then I'll start calling product representatives.

I have uploaded several images that show the shade attached to the camera as such.
http://www.arch-clig.com/images/toyo.html

Top to bottom on webpage:
1. Three quarter view. Identify shade as real Pro compendium (not field version) right?

2. Ill fitting pins. See how the left alignment pin is entering hole and right pin is not aligned?
Nothing is bent.

3.I removed the pins (they unscrew). Image demontrates where threads 'bottom out'. Doesn't
seem right.

4. I'm holding shade down flush with front standard top (sans threaded center pin). Shade center
seems annoyingly high and will impede maximum shading on wide lenses.

5.Straight on view to show my lens is centered. I measured and the lens center is in the middle of
the 158mm lensboard regardless that I'm using the Techinka adapter.

What do you think?

Thanks again

Ralph Barker
19-Apr-2006, 22:42
The photos definitely help, Chris. The shade you have is certainly not the one designed for the field cameras. That model is considerably smaller than yours, plus the thread size is smaller. I'd suggest measuring the placement of the alignment pins on the shade and on your camera to determine which has the mis-located holes. Thealignment holes on the top of my 45C are 28mm from the center of the threaded center hole, and they all have a depth of 11mm. Depending on where the manufacturing error falls, you can then contact the appropriate people.