PDA

View Full Version : Bogen/Manfrotto 410 Head

Caroline Matthews
17-Apr-2006, 16:00
I understand that some photographers have added an Arca-compatible quick release to this head. If you have done it, which quick release did you use (manufacturer/model)? Did you simply attach it to the Bogen quick release plate, or did you use some other means? Thanks for the help.

Mark Stahlke
17-Apr-2006, 18:22
I use a QR7 from Kirk Enterprises (http://www.kirkphoto.com/platformsc.html). It fits in place of the original quick release plate. There is no reason you couldn't mount a generic QR platform on the Manfrotto plate. You might save a couple of bucks by going that route.

Cheers

Brian Ellis
17-Apr-2006, 20:10
I also use the Kirk QR7. Like all Kirk products I've used, it's beautifully machined and fits into the head perfectly. It doesn't actually attach to the Bogen plate, it's inserted in the head in place of the Bogen plate. I still carry the Bogen plate around just in case of a problem but I've had the Kirk plate for about three years now and haven't had any problems at all.

Caroline Matthews
17-Apr-2006, 20:35
Thanks guys. Just what I needed.

Capocheny
17-Apr-2006, 21:54
Hi folks,

Just curious... what's the advantage of using the Kirk QR7 on the 410?

Is there a problem with the QR plate that comes with the 410?

Thanks in advance! :)

Cheers

Mark Stahlke
18-Apr-2006, 00:11
Henry,

I have the Bogen/Manfrotto plate installed on one field camera. It works great. I use the Kirk QR7 for another field camera and 35mm/digital bodies that were already equipped with Arca style QR plates before I bought the 410. I didn't want to buy a pile of Bogen/Manfrotto plates or use a single QR plate as an SR (slow release) plate.

Cheers,

Capocheny
18-Apr-2006, 02:05
Hi Mark,

Oh, I get it now. :)

Initially, I was thinking it made more sense to buy additional plates (from Manfrotto/Bogen) for other cameras that you may want to use with the 410 head rather than buying a totally different QR plate from Kirk . However, it now makes sense why you'd want the QR7. :)

BTW, isn't the 410 a great geared head? I only wish it could support a bit more weight... that's why I'm picking up the 405 in the very near future. :)

Thanks again Mark.

Cheers

Brian Ellis
18-Apr-2006, 11:18
I use an Arca Swiss B1 head for cameras other than my 4x5 and they all have an Arca style plate. I didn't want to have to carry two tripods on trips, or be bothered with switching plates around all the time on trips, so the QR7 allows me to use the same quick release plate on my 4x5 as I use on my other cameras.

Jeffrey Sipress
18-Apr-2006, 12:27
I have Arca type plates an all my gear, so the 410 head was a challenge. Fortunately, I was able to machine, in my shop, an adapter that fills the plate void in the head after removing the spring-loaded lever and some other hardware from the stock QR. The new plate platform provides a solid mount for the nice RRS lever operated clamp, my preference. And, unlike the Kirk rig, you are not dealing with TWO quick releases on one head, and the associated risks and lack of rigidity. I'll have to make a snap of it and post it here soon.

Richard Schlesinger
18-Apr-2006, 12:36
What is a QR7? I can't find it on the Kirk site.

Caroline Matthews
18-Apr-2006, 13:53
Grump: Try the link Mark gives us. It goes right to the page on the Kirk site.

Henry C: I, too, use the Arca type plates on other cameras and don't want to have to switch plates.

Brian Ellis
19-Apr-2006, 18:56
"And, unlike the Kirk rig, you are not dealing with TWO quick releases on one head, and the associated risks and lack of rigidity."

The Kirk rig doesn't involve two quick releases on one head. The original 410 plate is removed, the Kirk QR7 fits on the head in its place.

Jeffrey Sipress
19-Apr-2006, 22:01
If what you're saying is correct, then you must have meant 'clamp' instead of 'plate'. It sounded like the adapter is a plate that goes in the 410 clamp (as any camera plate would) and then has another Arca type on top of it. I suppose I need a pic, but we're probably just dealing with terminology here.

Andre Noble
19-Apr-2006, 22:28
That Kirk plate costs as much as the gear head itself!