PDA

View Full Version : How NOT to Do Large Format, Illustrated -- :o)

Alan Davenport
13-Apr-2006, 15:13
QT's list of various ways to waste film in large format cameras has been, and remains, both informative and humorous.

Here, an illustration: why we test fire the shutter BEFORE removing the dark slide... LOL

http://home.comcast.net/~w7apd/public/shutter_test.jpg

Kerry L. Thalmann
13-Apr-2006, 15:17
Alan,

Ah yes, the classic unintentional self-portrait. I love it!

Kerry

Daniel Grenier
13-Apr-2006, 15:31
And what words did you pronounce 1 second after this shot, Alan ?

Oren Grad
13-Apr-2006, 16:09
This photograph conveys the sharp contrast between the tangibly metallic character of industrial society and the ephemeral realities of human experience. The locomotive force of artistic expression manifest here cannot be denied, yet the artist clearly struggles with his place in the mise-en-scene. The void beneath the foreground vehicle is profound, but the artist's face nevertheless retains a certain transparency, hinting at a lightness of being entirely at variance with the weighty formalisms of the shop setting.

Definitely an artist to be watched...

GPS
13-Apr-2006, 16:12
Another good thing is to check the protruding camera bed while composing...

Lee Hamiel
13-Apr-2006, 16:14
Are you still alive?

David Karp
13-Apr-2006, 16:14
Oren,

That is beautiful.

Paul Metcalf
13-Apr-2006, 16:19
"Ah yes, the classic unintentional self-portrait. I love it!"

Also looks like the classic unintentional too-wide-of-lens-coverage-to-avoid-getting-the-bed-rail-in-the-picture problem.

"Definitely an artist to be watched..."

Oren - what say you about the intentional empy chair in the near-rule-of-thirds-part of the lower frame? A powerful metaphor for a bygone era of transportation? (BTW, I know I've read some of your art critiques. That was you, wasn't it?)

Kerry L. Thalmann
13-Apr-2006, 16:27
"Ah yes, the classic unintentional self-portrait. I love it!"

Also looks like the classic unintentional too-wide-of-lens-coverage-to-avoid-getting-the-bed-rail-in-the-picture problem.

A very efficient use of mistakes. I usually make mine one at a time, therefore wasting twice as much time, film and effort. Alan learned two lessons from a single sheet of film - much more cost effective.

Kerry

Robert A. Zeichner
13-Apr-2006, 16:30
This reminds me of something that happened over twenty years ago when I was repairing motion picture cameras for a living. A co-worker had just bought a mint used Rollei and he brought it in to work to show me. I removed the lens cap and stared into the taking lens while "testing" the shutter. After doing so I asked "is there film in this camera"? His response was "there's film in all my cameras". I figured he was just kidding. A week later I arrived at work, sat down at my bench and saw a 5x5 out of focus print of my mug sitting there. Written in the margin was "is there film in this camera"?

David A. Goldfarb
13-Apr-2006, 16:41
Ha! That's brilliant.

Allen Quinn
13-Apr-2006, 16:50
I agree with what Oren said. Whatever it was...(:

Alan Davenport
13-Apr-2006, 17:02
Well, technically, I learned nothing from this, since it ain't me in the picture.

Posted with permission of the victim, but sworn to protect his anonymity...

robc
13-Apr-2006, 17:24
are you sure that is not lens fungus?

Kerry L. Thalmann
13-Apr-2006, 17:50
Well, technically, I learned nothing from this, since it ain't me in the picture.

Posted with permission of the victim, but sworn to protect his anonymity...

So, is it a fellow large format photographer, or just a curious onlooker checking out the big, old camera and asking, "Is that a Hassleblad?".

Kerry

Wilbur Wong
13-Apr-2006, 17:59
Fabulous depth of field Alan, what lens were you using on the technica? F stop? Shutter speed I take it was a bit slow.

John Brownlow
13-Apr-2006, 18:17
are you sure that is not lens fungus?

No, it's face fungus.

David A. Goldfarb
13-Apr-2006, 18:51
Fabulous depth of field Alan, what lens were you using on the technica?

Given how much of the bed is showing, I'd say 75-80mm. Don't ask how I know this. I, umm..., just know.

Glenn Thoreson
13-Apr-2006, 19:07
Speed Graphic, is it not? Perhaps a Crown?

paulr
13-Apr-2006, 19:13
the expression says it all. it almost looks like the camera is running you over.

at any rate, it's a keeper, yes?

paul stimac
13-Apr-2006, 19:47
Oren,

Can I hire you to write an artist statement for me..

Alan Davenport
13-Apr-2006, 20:39
Kerry: He is a fellow LFer. In fact, this is the guy my wife blames for this facet of my photomania, since he had that 4x5 camera (unused) but got me energized to the point that I decided to give it a try. I had a small amount of experience using a couple of Speed Graphics some 30+ years ago, but rejected large format as too expensive at that time. In retrospect, that was the biggest photographic mistake I ever made. I find that 4x5 photography, once the initial outlay for equipment is made, has been much cheaper than 35mm ever was, since a day of 35mm usually had 4 or 5 rolls going into the soup, while a busy day with the 4x5 usually runs 8 or 10 sheets, which costs about the same to process as maybe 2 rolls of 35mm. Despite having had his LF camera much longer than I've had one, he's never been bitten quite as hard by the photo bug as I was.

Wilbur & Glenn: He's using a Speed Graphic. His camera has an interesting history, having been used for evidenciary photography by a member of the Chicago police, back in the day. He's got the complete outfit, camera, case, flashgun and a couple of lenses. Pretty sure the one he used here was 90mm, an Optar I think; similar to an Angulon.

Oren: LMAO.

I made a few shots of my own that day, but I haven't gotten around to printing them yet.

Paul Metcalf
13-Apr-2006, 22:13
"How NOT to Do Large Format, Illustrated -- :o)"

Upon further consideration (ok, not that much, but I have had a beer), I think this is proper large format technique. Or at least it's proper "popular" technique given the (re)onslaught of pictoralism in photographs these days. Any more stringent of a circle-of-confusion in the process and I think your friend might have lost that nifty, fuzzy, etheral and Oren-defined emphemeral thing going on. My wife thinks it's also a mistake (accidentally opening the shutter with the dark slide pulled and your face in frame). Sheez, she's a quilter, what does she know about photography?!

Ed K.
13-Apr-2006, 23:31
LOL! Hmmm, looks like an exposure and color balance test. Since he was expecting the engineer to show up for a portrait on the next day, he combined a test of exposure and skin tone plus verified his depth of field all in one go. And to top it off, he realized that he needed a longer cable release for sharp self portraits, as well as some lubrication so that he could drop the bed on the old camera next time. And how much more interesting even the test is with a person in it instead of just dull static machinery! Proof of concept!

He's doing pretty good. Accidentally pulling on the rear dark slide instead of the front one just a tad and then saying "@#$)X" doesn't produce anywhere near as nice an image!

Wilbur Wong
14-Apr-2006, 09:05
After thinking about this, maybe I should also take a similar photograph. As part of capturing a typical pose, I can relate to being seen with my head tilted way back so I can see the tiny numbers through the granny glasses while stuffing my fat fingers into those small spaces. . . . Perhaps we should spawn a new genre of photography.

Nick_3536
14-Apr-2006, 09:14
I think there is a ghost in the machine.

robc
14-Apr-2006, 09:24
"I think there is a ghost in the machine"

that would the ghost of Casey Jones then...

Walt Calahan
14-Apr-2006, 09:32
This is ART!

I see a museum show.

Keep up the good work! I want to see more.

Christopher Nisperos
14-Apr-2006, 14:13
Nice "bokeh self-portrait". What's all that junk in the background?

Brian Ellis
14-Apr-2006, 19:10
Reminds me of the time I was using a LF camera in a touristy type place. While I was doing something behind the camera some guy approached the camera, virtually put his nose on the lens, and just stood there staring into the lens without saying a word for what seemed like a minute or more. Then he left, still without saying a word or giving any hint as to what he was looking for inside the lens. The only difference between that situation and this is that I didn't take his photograph.

And Oren, that was great! You must have an art background, you do art-speak so well.

Oren Grad
14-Apr-2006, 19:21
You must have an art background, you do art-speak so well.

Nah, I'm just in a line of work (nothing to do with art or photography) where, from time to time, a good hot-air generator comes in handy. So I've had plenty of practice... ;-)

Richard Kelham
15-Apr-2006, 10:49
This does pose one more question: do all LF photographers have grey beards? And glasses? OK, so this is one for the fellows only... ;-)

Richard
(bearded and sometimes bespectacled)

Donald Qualls
15-Apr-2006, 12:35
Well, my beard is long and about 50% gray, and until I can afford contact lenses again (actually, I should make an appointment) I wear glasses (and will have readers when the contacts go back in and I can't just look over the lenses to read stuff close up). I also have about one 4x5 worth of additional forehead beyond original equipment... ;)

Oren Grad
15-Apr-2006, 12:45
Never bearded, always bespectacled, vast expanses of extended forehead, becoming vaster by the minute...

Terence Spross
15-Apr-2006, 13:59
..Reminds me of the time I was using a LF camera in a touristy type place. While I was doing something...

That reminds me of a time I tried to use my 4x5 in public for the first time, (I had forgot about this when refering to my first public photo on a previous post --- well that was my first photo now that I think about it, since the first time I used the LF in public I didn't get any shots.
One kid kept staring into my lens while I looked at him on my ground glass. This went on for a while and I asked him to move, but he didn't at first. After he left, I finished composing/focusing, and then went to put the film in the camera. By then that particular family had left in their car. It seems that while my head was covered, his younger brother had pulled all my dark slides in daylight! (They had been on a folding chair beside me.) He even lost a slide - found later in a trash can - thanks to a tip from another tourist. That and other mishaps in public have made me no longer use LF outside. Only use it for technical photography now. I need to rebuild it - one reason I need to make a new bellows - somebody apparently dropped a smoldering cigarette and it landed between the folds of my bellows. A light leak exsists where a burn hole occured.

John Brownlow
15-Apr-2006, 14:06
no beard. specs. all my original hair and teeth.

Colin Robertson
15-Apr-2006, 17:39
What a great forum. There's no place like it! Just the other day saw a thread about best firearms to use on recalcitrant cameras. Now this. . My personal inventory? Got specs. Got hair (though now with some grey ones, working on the full Stewart Granger). Beard? Have been off work this week and refused to shave on general principles. Felt like a swaggering, dangerous Buccaneer. Wife looked me over and said "So, I guess most men would have a real beard by now . . . ."
As for teeth, bust one just the other day. Since I'm the only Dentist for miles around had to enlist the help of enthusiastic amateur. Gave myself the local, then talked a nurse through the procedure. Kept it simple and went for Forceps . . now relieved of one more piece of original manufacturers equipment. No dumb pictures to post yet, but I'm working on it . . .

robc
16-Apr-2006, 15:37
"do all LF photographers have grey beards? And glasses? OK, so this is one for the fellows only"

Just to lower the tone:

You've never seen a bearded lady?

Haven't you heard that Joan Collins has had so many face lifts that she's now got a beard....

Ed K.
29-Apr-2006, 16:58
As to beards and foreheads, it can be the result of facial shifting. As the hair migrates to the south, it is as though one pulls on the bottom end. The beard appears to grow and at the same time, the hair disappears from the dome! When the sun is out, it sure would be nice to have a way to release the rachet that makes the process go only one way; to pull the hair back up to the top for a while! There is one good part though: because line is a good element in composition, the beard often adds interesting mid tones and lines to the presentation, which can make for more interesting self portraits.

Christopher Nisperos
20-May-2006, 07:49
Well, my beard is long and about 50% gray... ;)

Donald,

Why not start thinning out the white hairs so you can get your beard down to 18% gray?

Donald Qualls
20-May-2006, 14:46
Why not start thinning out the white hairs so you can get your beard down to 18% gray?

Hmmm. Interesting thought, but I have a low pain threshold; that amount of plucking would probably leave me quivering and whimpering. I'll just continue metering my hand and opening up a stop and a half when I need a gray card reference...

Nitish Kanabar
20-May-2006, 14:49
This does pose one more question: do all LF photographers have grey beards? And glasses? OK, so this is one for the fellows only... ;-)

Richard
(bearded and sometimes bespectacled)

NOOOOOOO.....

I'm young and hip with nary a gray hair. :)

bglick
21-May-2006, 11:33
OK, where is this train depot? I remember shooting it some years ago...outside of Sacramento area?

Alan Davenport
22-May-2006, 08:19
OK, where is this train depot? I remember shooting it some years ago...outside of Sacramento area?
It's the Brooklyn Roundhouse in Portland.