PDA

View Full Version : Peter Gowland just turned an active 90

Frank Petronio
10-Apr-2006, 21:20
Peter Gowland (http://www.petergowland.com/) just turned an active 90 on April 8.

Quit your bellyaching and go shoot!

Oren Grad
10-Apr-2006, 22:01
April 3, actually, but worth celebrating no matter what the date. Ted Harris has a nice appreciation in the current View Camera. Do follow Frank's link, too, and check out Peter's website - it's chock full of cool stuff. We should all have so much fun with our toys!

Doug Dolde
10-Apr-2006, 22:11
We should all be so fortunate to be well and kicking at 90.

Doug Dolde

www.painted-with-light.com (http://www.painted-with-light.com)

Ted Harris
11-Apr-2006, 07:15
Alice and Peter Gowland are two wonderful people. Both are active, happy and healthy and I consider it an honor to be considered one of their friends. Peter's contributions to photography in general and large format photography specifically are huge. The wide variety of images and cameras on his website testifies to his eye, his sense of humor and his genius.

Peter loves animals as much as people, perhaps more. A few months ago we were sitting in his dining room looking out at the pool which so often served as an extension of his studio. He stopped in mid sentence, opened the door to the patio and started making sounds. The sounds were followed by the arrival of several squirrels and a duck. “I went to call them for their lunch,” he said, when he came back inside with a big smile on his face. That is the warmth and humor that he brings to all his work.

Send him a “Happy Birthday” email at petergowland@earthlink.com

John Z.
11-Apr-2006, 08:12
I bought a camera from him about two years ago; one of the last of his Gowlandflex models. I spent a few days here and there at his workshop/home, and he is a real gentleman, always polite and and enjoyable and pleasant person to be around. He has that positive 'energy'. Even after working on a problem for what seemed days, trying to put a telephoto lens on one of his cameras, he never lost his pleasant demeanor and sense of humor, and was always generous with his time. I definitely learned a few lessons in life from him.
His positive outlook is very probably one of the reasons that he is living so well into his 90's, and also the fact that he still 'works'; although it is really more like play for him.

Ed K.
12-Apr-2006, 15:14
In many ways, Peter sets such a terrific example of how photographers should interact, he really has a great attitude. Although he and Alice did glamour for so many years, some of his other photographs are quite engaging - check out "War Years" and other sections. He has a great photo of Usher Fellig too.

It's really wonderful that people such as Oren, Ted and many others remind us of Peter and other great photographers. While too modest to say much about it, he must surely appreciate the kind words and attention.

He and Alice both still work hard - never a dull moment, and always so much to do. Imagine having perhaps a million photos in B&W negatives to sort or preserve, filling orders for prints and making cameras plus somehow doing the daily chores, not to mention still answering calls and emails...then imagine being "retired" and older yet still dealing with all that and taking care of the kids, excercising and having a hobby or two. Amazing.

CXC
13-Apr-2006, 12:40
I happen to have ordered an 8x10 monorail from Peter just yesterday. Interestingly, he says he's selling 8x10's like crazy, specifically the aerial models, that people are using for handheld stuff here on the ground.

A hand-held 8x10 -- finally, a camera that I don't covet!

Ed K.
13-Apr-2006, 12:56
Hey CXC -

Great to not covet anything, that's for sure - however, the Gowland 8x10 is really great to use in high winds because it is a solid body. Also good to look straight down or up for a change in POV. True, no movements, but light weight. It weighs less than a Canon EOS 1D/1DSII with lens, which is nice too. I like mine for unusual shots and street shooting.

Pawlowski6132
29-Jun-2010, 20:16
Wow. I just heard about this guy for the first time yesterday. Found this thread today and just found out he just died a few months ago. What a shame.

Michael Cienfuegos
30-Jun-2010, 09:47
Wow. I just heard about this guy for the first time yesterday. Found this thread today and just found out he just died a few months ago. What a shame.

Not a shame. The man led a very active and productive life. He was talented and produced some innovative cameras. He tells his story on his website. It looks like he was productive to the very end. We should all be so lucky. We have to remember that life is terminal, we won't get out of it alive. I am a retired RN, I worked for a hospice agency for many years, helping patients and their families in the last stage of life's journey. Peter Gowland was truly blessed with a long and healthy life. My condolences to his family.