PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Lens Board: Copal 1 Needed

John Dziadecki
5-Apr-2006, 20:00
I'm in need of a Nikon lens board, Copal 1 size. Midwest Photo used to supply these but state the boards are no longer being made by Nikon. I would prefer a lens board that can accomodate the Nikon lens set screw that "anchors" the lens to prevent minor pivoting. Thanks.

Kirk Gittings
5-Apr-2006, 21:55
I must have missed something over the years. Needing a Nikon lens board implies that there was once a Nikon View Camera. When was that?

tim atherton
5-Apr-2006, 21:58
they are Nikon Technika boards - very nicely made and substantially cheaper than linhofs (Toyo makes some as well I think).

MPEX still lists them on their website though? (I bought one only a week ago - though it was a Copal O)

Oren Grad
5-Apr-2006, 22:16
Tim - they're gone from the MPEX website now. John, you might try KEH - perhaps they will have some used ones.

John Brownlow
5-Apr-2006, 23:15
You can also try Harry's Pro Shop (http://harrysproshop.com/) in Toronto -- he had a load of used Nikon Technika boards in stock the last time I was there.

Failing that it takes about 30 secs to drill a hole for the set screw.

tim atherton
5-Apr-2006, 23:23
nope - they are still listed at MPEX (now whether they still ahve them or not?)

David Karp
5-Apr-2006, 23:23
Or, you can just remove the screw. I have my 300mm Nikkor M on one of those boards without the screw, and it does not pivot at all.

Those Nikon boards were very nice, and priced very well too. Sorry to see them go. I have a Toyo board too. It is pretty nice, but it fits very tightly in my Walker Titan (making it hard to remove), while the Nikon, Horseman, and no-name generic Technika-type boards I have fit the camera perfectly.

darr
5-Apr-2006, 23:34
I prefer the Nikon boards for my Ebony. They fit better (and look better IMO) than the camera named knock offs.

Oren Grad
6-Apr-2006, 06:55
nope - they are still listed at MPEX

Dang! They are indeed - just in the "large format basics" section, rather than in the "adapters & lens boards" section where I looked for them last night...

John Dziadecki
6-Apr-2006, 13:57
Thank you for the many responses!

Kirk -- I've never seen or heard of a Nikon view camera. I suppose Nikon manufactured these fine boards to complement their fine line of large format lenses. Since, I am told, Nikon has discontinued manufacture of LF lenses, they have also ceased manufacture of the boards.

Tim -- I ordered a Copal 1 borad and received an email from them stating they no longer have the No. 1 Nikon board, don't expect they will be able to obtain further units and are expecting a shipment of Toyo boards as replacement items. My guess is the Nikon lens boards will remain listed on MPEX until their Toyo boards arrive and they get their webmaster to update the information.

John -- Thanks for the Harry's tip. Harry says they're discontinued and he's sold out. And, yes, it takes but 30 seconds to drill a hole for the set screw. I could probably rig something up to do it myself but if I could get the genuine article and not risk ruining an otherwise perfectfully fine board ... ?

Dave -- I bought my 300mm Nikkor used and went after a set screw. My 90mm Super Angulon does pivot in its generic board. My 150 Nikkor stays put in its Nikon lens board.

Oren -- As you say, they are still listed on the MPEXwebsite. Their search function takes a little getting used to but, as you discovered, they do show up. KEH lists a used one -- EX -- with a 42mm hole, Copal 1 size -- I just ordered it. $12.95 for shipping a lens board -- ouch.

Thanks again for all the responses!

tim atherton
13-May-2006, 09:49
apparently they still ahve other sizes - I recently ordered a Copal 0

Ted Harris
13-May-2006, 15:51
I assume you know you can also remove the set screw and no damage will be done. Some argue that the lens will then wobble/wiggle/move around but I have never found that to be the case as long as you tighten the retaining ring.