PDA

View Full Version : RB Graflex, convert Grafmatic back to a Graflok

David Richhart
1-Apr-2006, 15:17
I have 2 items sitting on the shelf. I have a 4x5 RB Graflex B series with a Grafmatic back, and I also have a spare Graflok back. I would like to change the back of the camera (for all the obvious reasons).

I'm certain it can be done, but I would like the change to be reversible. It appears the old back could be unscrewed and the Graflok back screwed in it's place for a light tight seal. My experience tells me that sounds WAY TOO simple. One of the major concerns would be maintaining the film plane spacing so that the mirror focussing would be correct. It should not be too difficult to check the focus considering the mirror and the Graflok back would both have a ground glass ;0D

I doubt that I am the first person to have such foolish thoughts... so if anyone has had the experience any and all advice would be appreciated. What else do I need to consider? What unforseen pitfalls lay ahead? Where did I leave my screwdriver, or should I just go for a liquid screwdriver and reconsider?

Bill_1856
1-Apr-2006, 15:21
Don't do it. Find yourself some Graflex "Bag-Mags" instead. They're actually nicer than Grafmatics (they're just not as speedy to use), and hold 12 exposures.

David Richhart
1-Apr-2006, 15:24
Thanks Bill... and it looks like I just found the answer to my question...

http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/500865.html

j.e.simmons
1-Apr-2006, 15:37
Why do you want to change backs? Is it to use Grafmatics? You may not need to - my Grafmatics fit both my graphic backed Speed Graphic, my Graflex backed RB and my Graflock backed Crown. I don't know if all do, but my Grafmatics have both the slots for Graflex/Graflock backs and the ridges for Graphic backs.

juan