PDA

View Full Version : what tripod for (20-lb) Horseman LX?

gaetano catelli
28-Mar-2006, 06:21
i bought a Horseman LX on that large auction site. the camera alone weighs 20 lb. when lens, lensboard, and film holder are added, it's probably a total of 25 lb.

1. would tripods rated for a maximum of 25 lb be sufficient, or would they not allow enough room for error?

2. if the answer to 1 is yes, would any of the 25-lb max Velbon tripods on this list be satisfactory: http://xrl.us/kk45 ?

3. any other recommendations?

Ted Harris
28-Mar-2006, 08:41
I wouldn't trust a tripod rated for 25 lbs. with your new Horseman, especially if you are planning on using it with the bellows extended to any length. In fact, your absolute best bet for stability and rigidity is to use a studio stand. These are very expensive new but you can usually find them reasonably priced on the used market. I have used the Horseman L Frame system in my studio for many years so I am speaking from experience. I use the amera mounted on a Cambo Studio Stand. When I have to move it someplace out of the studio, which happens very very rarely, I mount it on a Gitzo Tele-Studex which is rated at 30++ pounds (the 'pod I use is so old I can't tell you the model number or what is it's equal today). I am assuming you got the camera with the telescoping rail and when you have that rail extended to over 500mm you need as much support as you can get. When I use the camera mounted on the 1000mm with two bellows for extreme closeup work it gets a bit unstable even on the Cambo stand and I sometimes add a second tripod block and use the Tele-Studex as a second support.

The Horseman system is an absolute delight to use but it among the heaviest manufactured so give it the most support you can.

CXC
28-Mar-2006, 10:35
Just so you hear an opposing view, let me mention that I routinely use tripods with loads in excess of their stated maximums.

That said, don't forget to take into account your longest likely bellows extension. Like Ted says, if you go 500mm, you need some serious support.

And don't scrimp on the head.

Capocheny
28-Mar-2006, 11:44
Gaetano,

Congratulations on the new camera... :)

I agree with Ted and suggest a studio stand as well... I use a Bogen 280 for my Sinar X, which is a heavy, heavy beast as well! That said, those Cambo stands are beautifully made as well.

For the head... I use a Manfrotto geared head Model 400. Beautiful unit!

I NEVER haul this beast out into the field... :)

Cheers

Ted Harris
28-Mar-2006, 16:14
BTW, CXC's point on a head is also very well taken. I use a Majestic geared head. A solid pan tilt head would do as well. I use ballheads in the field all the time but they make me very nervous with a big rail camera, just too much torque going on and too easy to potentially drop something.