PDA

View Full Version : tripod heads

joanne_6447
20-Mar-2006, 22:35
hi what is the best tripod head available for commercial work

Ron Marshall
20-Mar-2006, 22:51
How much weight must it support and will it be used outside of the studio?

Jack Flesher
20-Mar-2006, 23:13
Maybe the Arca CUBE...

Jack Flesher
20-Mar-2006, 23:15
Sorry, here's a link to a review: Cube Review (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/arca-cube.shtml)

Capocheny
21-Mar-2006, 01:35
Joanne,

What camera are you going to be using this head with?

What is its weight?

Are you using it only in the studio or will you want to take it out into the field with you?

Jack,

That cube is suppose to be the cat's meow. But, doesn't it cost 3 arms and 4 legs? :)

Cheers

Frank Petronio
21-Mar-2006, 06:26
The "ultimate" is probably a large studio stand with a geared head. The stand is much sturdier than a tripod and it allows you to position the camera in places the tripod legs would interfere. Companies like Cambo, Foba, and Redwing make heavy ($2500 plus) 200 lb. studio stands capable of holding 8x10s upside down.

The geared heads alone would be a Majestic geared head (or a Bogen/Manfrotto, Cambo, or Arca-Swiss Cube in ascending price/quality order). Foba probably makes a good geared head too.

neil poulsen
21-Mar-2006, 10:14
How do you plan to use the head? Will it be for studio use, location, etc? Do you like ball or pan-tilt? Whether ball or pan-tilt is a preference, more than one is better than the other.

What weight and size of camera do you want to support? A head that would be considered perfect for one camera could be terrible for another.

I have a 3039 Bogen head for my large format camera (about 8 lbs), and I think it's first rate. It's an upgrade from the 4047 head that's been popular with many LF photographers. (e.g. Fred.) It can hold up to a 26 pound camera.

jarrod connerty
21-Mar-2006, 18:17
Unquestionably the Cube; I bought one a year and change ago and am terribly happy with it. For its precision and weight I don't think it is too terribly overpriced.

e
21-Mar-2006, 20:58
Jarrod, How much weight is the cube rated for? Thanks, Emile

Jack Flesher
22-Mar-2006, 07:49
The Cube is not weight rated. All Arca claims is that it is adequate for 8x10. Since their 8x10 can weigh 20+ pounds (10kg) with a large lens, that would suggest a weight limit. In use, I have had 18 pounds of camera and lens on it and had no issues even racked over at 30 degrees. HOWEVER, it can clearly carry more weight with its base in its "normal" position than it can with it let out to the 30 to 60 degree positions. Also, it appears more stable with the top platform axes in the zero to say +/- 15 degrees each direction.

Hope that helps,

e
22-Mar-2006, 08:54
Thanks Jack, that helps a lot. Emile