PDA

View Full Version : Please help this beginner ( special situation)

Eitan Waks
26-Feb-2006, 13:16
Hi,
I'm looking forward to starting down the journey of large-format photography. Up until now I've been using mainly 35mm cameras. The first one I've used was an SLR. Subsequently I moved to rangefinder cameras (contax g2). Lately I have been trying medium format photography in my studio. I enjoy the larger film that I get out of the medium format however I wished I had movements so that I can control perspective.

To give your short arc round of who I am I'll write just couple of lines. I began doodling with cameras like most of us as the young child in the family. I remember myself really enjoying taking photographs on family trips and I always had my dad's SLR around my neck. At that time I didn't really know what I was doing, only getting a sense of the world through the lens. Years went by and I kept on taking lots of photographs but never seriously. At the age of 19 I had an accident which left me paralyzed from the neck down. Through lots of rehabilitation I began using my arms to some extent. As part of my rehabilitation I went to a year-long photography course with one of the leading geographical magazines in Israel. This was definitely a big step in my rehabilitation and connected me back to my love of photography. Ever since the course photography has been on my mind daily. I began taking photos with an SLR as I mentioned courteously with a tripod that I built especially to fit my wheelchair. Every camera I've had I have had to adapt to my abilities. When I finished the course I began working for the magazine for a short period of time but realized that I wasn't doing what I wanted. I was taking photographs to suit other people's visions and not mine, though it was interesting to do geographical work (similar to National Geographic's style). I began studying at a university (mechanical engineering) and continue to do photography on the side. Recently I did of course in studio photography which reintroduced me to my love of photography yet again. Slightly before entering the course I bought a medium format camera because I wasn't satisfied with my prince from 35mm cameras. I also got to the understanding that you should use the camera which best fits a situation. For me, that means using the 35mm rangefinder when I want take either travel or snapshot pictures, using a medium format camera (in the meantime) for my studio, and using my SLR for everything else.

Sorry about that long intro.

Now to the question:
due to my handicap I would probably need a camera with geared movements. I don't want to spend too much money on my first camera as I am sure that I looked at this and maybe buy a different camera or build a camera altogether from scratch eventually. I've taken a look at cameras such as the Cambo Legend. Although I don't have access to a camera the pictures look as though it is well built. What other cameras are there that has geared movements?

What cameras would you suggest for a beacon or like me?
Please take into consideration the fact that what really is not an issue because I don't travel and hike that much in wheelchair. I'll probably using this camera primarily in my studio or next to the car when I travel.

Thanks for all the help,
Eitan Waks

manuel johson
26-Feb-2006, 14:19
Hi, I am a beginner 4x5 user as well and I recently researched various types of 4x5 cameras before I purchased mine. I am totally new to this forum who has real photographers with a wealth of knowledge about cameras that you could tap. My angle come from a medical point of view as I have been practicing medicine for more than 20 years and dealt with patients with similar disability that you have mentioned. I have been thinking about your predicament. I think it would be difficult to recommend any particular camera without understanding first how much fine motor control, range of motion and muscle power you have. Also would you have any one helping you when you go out using your camera seems important to know. The question about "the best camera for me" it is usually a difficult one to recomment even for individuals without disabilities, as there are many issues such as weight, stiffness, range of movements, applications, and many subjective personal choices to consider. I am not trying to discourage you on the contrary I would like to offer you what I know. I commend you for your determination, you may be breaking new grounds.

Juergen Sattler
26-Feb-2006, 15:53
Hello Eitan, is there any chance someone who lives close to you could show you what is involved in setting up a Large Format Camera and how to control it? I agree with Manuel that it is very difficult tto recommend a camera without knowing how linited you are in your movements. It would be ideal if you could see and feel one of these cameras and try out how you would handle it. Maybe if you tell us where you live we could find someone on this forum who is in close proximity?!

Ralph Barker
26-Feb-2006, 15:59
There are many participants here who are far more familiar with the various camera designs than I am, Eitan. But, until they read your post, I'll try to get you started.

I think you'll need to define a couple of points more tightly. First is budget. The second is what you're looking for in "geared movements". There are several variations in that respect. Most studio monorail designs include geared rise and fall, similar to the Cambo you looked at. Only a few, however, include geared tilt and/or shift. You might take a look at the Arca-Swiss models (the Metric in particular) and the higher-end Sinar models.

Not knowing how much manual dexterity and strength you've been able to regain since your accident, it's difficult to guess which features might be more convenient for you to operate.

Oren Grad
26-Feb-2006, 20:19
Eitan, monorails with extensive geared movements tend to be very heavy, very expensive new, or both, though there have been some excellent deals on eBay recently as many commercial studios have been migrating to digital.

I agree with the other respondents, we can give you better advice if you could be more specific about what kinds of movements you think you'll need and why, what your own limits are and what kind of help you can get in manipulating the camera and carrying it around, and how much you're prepared to spend.

B'hatzlacha...

John Kasaian
26-Feb-2006, 21:02
Eitan,

Geared movements are a feature some shooters prefer, but I don't see how they'd be any more convenient than more conventional movements. Of course I don't know what limitations you're dealing with either. I think Wisner built a 4x5 with geared movements.

I'm trying to get a mental picture of a 4x5 mounted aboard a wheelchair and how it could be best operated. Aside from hand dexterity, I think the most awkward part of using a lf is focusing on the ground glass while manipulating the front standards. It takes quite a reach with an 8x10 but not nearly so much with a 4x5... I think you might fare better getting something like an old metal Calmet with a shorter rail (so it dosen't get in your way) and using a ball head of some type to level your camera on your wheelchair tripod. Perhaps one of those magnifying glasses used by dentists would be more useful than a loupe as it would free your hands more.

This wouldn't be very expensive(Metal Calumets 4x5s often go for well under $200)...and playing around with it, tweaking it to suit your needs. Probably the ball head and magnifying glasses might be more costly (but maybe not) I hope this helps.

Paul Fitzgerald
27-Feb-2006, 07:24
Eitan,

I'll be the heretic here, the jump from 35mm to 120 is very obvious, the jump from 120 to 4x5 is not. You might look at the Fuji GX-680 system if you need the movements.

If you want to try out 4x5, find a GraphicView or GraphicView II, usually on ebay cheap, just find one with good bellows AND original fresnel. Nice little camera, all the movements you can use but only the focus and front rise are geared.

Good luck with it.

David Richhart
27-Feb-2006, 07:44
I think Paul's suggestion of a Graphic View II, would be an excellent place to start. Not too big or complicated, and very affordable. Later, if you want to move to another camera, you can likely sell it for what you paid.

Eitan Waks
27-Feb-2006, 13:57
Thank you everyone for contributing to the answers. The following are the answers to several of your questions.

Manual Orellena,
here are the details about my disabilities. I was injured at C4/5 of my spine. I am however somewhat incomplete. At the beginning I could not breathe by myself but with time I regained both breathing and some motor control in my arms. The detail of regarding my motor control are as follows. I have no fine movements in my finger however due to my spastic condition I can use them without much dexterity. I mostly rely on levers to move small buttons and things of the like on the cameras that I have right now. I have control of my biceps, deltoids, a little of my pec's, and everything above. I have no use of my triceps and wrist extensors and contractors. I have sufficient power in my muscles to propel myself in wheelchair as well as lift objects that way up to 5 kg maybe even 10 kilograms although I may lose my balance so I don't try to lift weights that heavy.
Regarding the help, I always have a caregiver next to me 24 hours a day therefore I always have held at hand. I wouldn't think of trying to use a large-format camera without some help. I do on the other hand wants to do as much as possible by myself. When I use my medium format camera as well as my 35mm SLR I need help attaching them to the tripod. With my medium format camera I sometimes need a little help focusing (although that might just be a little bit of laziness). I will also need help switching lenses. All of this isn't a problem. The problem is in making all of this as independent as possible. I do believe that every problem has a solution and that these are only hurdles to be passed.

Juergen Sattler,
I would love to be able to see a large-format camera in person as to ascertain what I need in order to be able to take pictures with such a camera independently. This is what I did when I bought my first SLR. After observing several models from different manufacturers I choose a certain model that could easily be adapted to my needs (it happened to be a Nikon 8008s and a Nikon N90s).
I currently live in Israel. How can I figure out where people live on this forum? I would not have a problem traveling anywhere around this country in order to find someone that could possibly teach me the beginnings of using a large-format camera. I will appreciate all the help I can get.

Ralph Barker,
as to my budget, I would like to keep things under $1000 including everything. In fact, if possible I would like to keep things under $500 for my first camera. I have a feeling that after buying my first camera I will probably build a camera my own which was cost quite a bit more to build. I don't have that much trouble building the camera because they do have an in-house manufacturing mill so that I can build things whenever I want. I'm also a student of mechanical engineering so I usually draw things on CAD software such as SolidWorks and can manufacture these drawings very precisely. It is somewhat of a hobby of mine to do things in the DIY realm.
I think I want as much as I can get injured motions because the way I see it, and correct me if I'm wrong, with nine year emotions you have to manually adjust the movement and then it lock it down. I think that would be much more difficult for me to hold something in place while turning the knob in order to prevent it from moving further. I'm pretty sure that turning a knob to which I will attach levers would be easier than moving or sliding the front part or back part of the camera, holding it in place, and then tightening the knob in order to lock it in place. If things are done otherwise please let me know. I'm still a beginner at this.

Oren Grad,
I have been looking at eBay extensively these past couple of weeks in order to get a sense of what type of cameras are out there. I do intend to buy secondhand has firsthand seems to be much much much more expensive. Buying from eBay, shipping, paying taxes and anything else involved is still a whole lot cheaper than buying a used or new camera in Israel. This is from what I've seen and some of the larger stores and forums in Israel.
I'm not quite sure as to the movements that I will be using on a constant basis however I do suppose that I will use the rise and fall quite a lot. This is something that has been on my mind for quite a while. When I'm taking shots in my wheelchair I sometimes wish I had a perspective that was either closed the floor or higher up. The same problem sometimes occurs with right and left shift. I'm sure they could enjoy the other movements in order to create creative compositions. I enjoy using my studio quite a bit however I would probably like to use this camera outdoors as well. I guess it's for everything from portraits to still life to landscape.
Although I can get help for all of the movements in the camera I would prefer doing everything by myself if possible.

John Kasaian,
the tribe by the village for the wheelchair is a little bit difficult to describe in words. It's a pity that I don't have a web site to show you exactly what I mean. It would be quite easy to code a large-format camera with its rail on this tripod and make it very comfortable for me to sit and view the ground glass. My tripod is modular and I can make it adapts to any type of camera by changing and attachments to the base of the tripod. I know that this is a very vague explanation however a picture is worth a thousand words.
It's an interesting idea you mentioned about the dentist magnifying glasses. I'll have to keep that in mind when I'm looking for my loupe.

Paul Fitzgerald,
the reason I want to move into 4 x 5 cameras is partly movements, partly quality of print, part interest and curiosity, and lastly because I think it could be much more enjoyable. I believe the picture taking act becomes much more involved (in a good way) and that is something that I am looking for.
I will check out both the Fuji and graphic view cameras. Thanks for the advice.

Everyone,
now that I answer some of your questions, what are your suggestions now? How should I proceed?

Once again, thank you so much for your help,
Eitan Waks

neil poulsen
28-Feb-2006, 04:55
The Cambo Legend is heavy, at just over 13 lbs. But, it sounds like it might work.

There used to be a Toyo camera that was an off-white color that had geared rise and fall. I don't recall the model identification. They sold for about $400 or so used. They were frequently seen on Ebay, but I haven't seen one for quite awhile. Perhaps someone else can recall the model name?

Anyway, they were lighter than the Legend, and they worked with Toyo accessories. (e.g. bag bellows.) So, they were versatile.

Another possibility is a Toyo F. Also lighter than a Legend, and has geared rise and one can use a bag bellows with them. (I believe.) I recently saw one for sale for $399.

One recommendation. A lot of less expensive cameras combine swing with shift, so that changing one can alter the other. One sort of has to adjust both shift and swing at the same time with these cameras. Swing and shift are separate controls on other cameras. I suspect the latter might be more advantageous for you. (I don't recall whether the Toyo I mentioned above was like this.)

Dan Jolicoeur
28-Feb-2006, 07:17
Once you get an inexpensive camera to try, and play with; I can see this as a very nice engineering opportunity for you. You could design a nice 4x5 camera that is fairly light with stepper motors on the camera controls. It sounds like you have the time if you are taking a few courses and with some help from some robotics gurus you may have yourself a nice project on your hands? You may want to model it from the above mentioned; " Arca-Swiss models (the Metric in particular)". Give that Solid Edge program a wirl with some time and effort you may have an ideal camera for a very good price. If you have access to a University you may even find a machinist that will be happy to get involved. Start networking with people in your community, There maybe a program that will offer the assistance you need. For example; the University I work at has done modifications for some people that need special wheel chair controls to fit there individual needs. Network, network , network, with as many people as you can in your area!
Keep up the foward thinking attitude and you will get there!
Regards,
Dan

David Karp
28-Feb-2006, 12:38
At your price, you might want to try a Toyo 45C. This camera is not that heavy for a monorail, has geared movements and a 360 degree revolving back with a bail arm. The revolving back with the bail arm provides some benefits. First, it helps keep dust out because you don't have to remove the back. Second, and more importantly in your situation it would make it possible (I think) for you to reposition the back from horizontal to vertical and back without assistance. Finally, the bail arm might even make it possible for you to put the film holders in by yourself. This last one might be a stretch. Only your experience will tell you. The camera is also part of a fairly big system that has been around for a while. There are lots of used cameras and parts around. A heavier and more rugged (and more expensive) studio monorail with similar features is the Toyo 45G. Check out www.toyoview.com.

I believe that there is at least one fairly regular poster, and probably a few more, on this forum from Israel. One of them posted a link to some beautiful Infrared photos (I think) a while back. Try using the forum search function and type in Israel. It will bring up their posts. Then you can click on their name and follow the directions to obtain their e-mail addresses.

Good luck and enjoy LF.

David Karp
28-Feb-2006, 12:46
If geared movements turn out to be a problem, another camera to consider is a Cambo SC or Calumet 45NX (same camera). This is the camera depicted in Simmons' "Using the View Camera," and Stones' and Shamans' view camera books also. It is lighter than the Legend, and many versions also have a revolving back (as should the Legend). The 45N or 45NX-II do not have the revolving back, so be careful while shopping. The camera is fairly inexpensive used, and there are tons of them out there. You should be able to get the camera, a used lens or two, and a bag bellows within your budget(not sure about shipping though).

Focusing is by friction and uses fairly large knurled wheels as the control. The rise and fall is by friction, so you might need some help, but turning those knobs on a geared rise and fall system might be a problem, only you know for sure. To swing or shift, you just loosen separate controls, slide or swing the standard, and then tighten the control.

It might be worth your while to contact Jim at MPEX.com. He has so much experience in LF, he might have worked with someone in your situation before. He has always given me good advice, including steering me away from a camera he was selling because he did not think it was agood one for me.