PDA

View Full Version : finding a tripod

Richard Schlesinger
15-Feb-2006, 12:45
I am looking for a tripod and San Diego has a very limited selection. I would very much appreciate rcommendations. I presently have a Gitzo and a Majestic. I love the Majestic and the head, but it is often heavier than I would like. I mostly hate the Gitzo because of the twist locks. And the model I have has limited, fixed leg spread (it is older than some of you). The twist locks hurt my hands - I just returned from Bryce Canyon (below freezing) and especially in the cold twist locks are an abomination.

What I am looking for is a tripod that is appropriate for my Manfrotto geared head and a 3 to 6 pound camera. It should have locks on the legs that are like 'flip' locks, or a twist knob or some such. Also an elevator for fine height adjustment, and variable leg spread ability as does the Majestic.

All in all the tripod should weigh I suppose 4 to 6 pounds. Berlebach (from the pictures) looks nice but no elevator (how does anyone adjust camera height without an elevator?) so wood is not out of the question (in the cold it would be far superior to aluminum) .

I will most likely have to purchase by mail so looking at catalogs is all I can do - a trip to LA is possible but who knows what Samy will have at a given time. E-Bay would be best (where to look for tripods?)

This is too long a post, but on the other hand I think there must be many of you in similar straits - tripods don't seem to be reviewd and described much in the press (only the latest digital offerings) - and they aren't very exciting - no resolution numbers or MTF charts.

I know many of you have lots of experience with tripods and will be helpful. I am eagerly anticipating responses!

Bob Salomon
15-Feb-2006, 13:09
You are lucky to be in an area that has some good full service stores with lots of tripods like Nelson's and George's as well as a Calumet nearby and a great telescope shop that stocks tripods in Oceanside.

have you visited all of them?

CXC
15-Feb-2006, 13:19
Tripods are not terrifically difficult to locate in ePay. I would advise looking in the "Tripods" section under the "Cameras and Photo" heading. Currently there are 5,579 available.

Bogen, aka Manfrotto, makes reliable, reasonably priced tripods with the snap-locks that you prefer. Careful with those fingers, though, those things can pinch pretty hard.

Capocheny
15-Feb-2006, 13:53
Grumpy,

I concur with CXC about locating one on &ba& and they can be had at pretty reasonable prices if you catch it right! :)

That said, I use a Manfrotto model 475 with a geared center shaft. It's made of aluminum but you can buy these leg-wraps for use in the winter climate. Mounted on it is a Manfrotto model 410 head that supports 5 kg and is geared... easy to use!

I've seen the 410 heads on &ba& for a little under US$180 but the legs seldom show up... and, when they do, they're fairly hot commodities!

You might consider taking a look at the carbon fibrer Manfrottos as well...

Cheers

Lee Hamiel
15-Feb-2006, 15:11
I second the Manfrotto 475 as I have one now - legs will go down almost to ground level & can be adjusted individually but still maintaining struts back to the center post, has a geared center column & it has flip locks. Closest thing I've used in years to the older Bogen models where Lester Bogen would advertise that he wouldn't sell a tripod he couldn't sit on & of course the picture of him sitting on one. I bought a Bogen 3030a because of this ad ... This 475 model is the closest thing to it.

With that said - I used to have a Berlebach 7023 & 8043 - There are two-piece center columns available but I simply modified mine so as to have a short stub for low angle as well. The concept with non-geared center posts is that you are essentially using the legset to get you in the zone & if need be raise or lower the column a bit. Other concept is to go slightly higher than desired & then balance it all out by adjusting the top leg screws to the desired level. These are nice tripods & also recommend them as well.

Robert Skeoch
15-Feb-2006, 16:08
I have a few tripods..... The zone vi works great with the 8x10 but is way to heavy... it won't be going back into the field.
My gitzo is too light for an 8x10 and is hard to open... it's an older one and the metal gets too cold in the winter.

My manfroto will hold the 8x10 but it's too cold in the winter... and the last two or three times I've used it pieces have been breaking off, the leg fell off three weeks ago after a piece broke. Now it was cold out but still.

I've just bought a Berlebach wood model. Haven't tried it yet but it looks fine for the 4x5 and isn't so heavy. Report 3042

-Rob Skeoch

Juergen Sattler
15-Feb-2006, 16:13
Actually many LF photographers prefer a tripod without the center column because of the increase in stability. I modified my Gitzo and removed the center column and replaced it with a Markins insert - the gain in stability is clearly noticeable. I agree that the twist lock on the Gitzo are a PITA especially in colder weather, but I put up with it because I think they are some of the best and lightest tripods out there. LF is all about compromises - isn't it:-)

Frank Petronio
15-Feb-2006, 17:14
If you can find one, some of the Linhof tripods looks attractive - solid designs with flip locks.

Mike Boden
15-Feb-2006, 17:30
I currently use a Gitzo 1325, and it's the only tripod I own. Although the twist locks are a PITA, I love it and it's plenty stable for my 8x10 use. I only wish I could have the exact same tripod but with a different locking system. I actually had to use a pipe wrench the other day to get one of the twist locks open. I was so frustrated that I can't even begin to describe it. It took me about ten minutes to get it open, and I'm still not sure how it ever got so tight.

Jerry Fusselman
15-Feb-2006, 17:34
Juergen,

Would you please write a little more about your Markins insert? What is it?

Brian Ellis
15-Feb-2006, 17:41
My favorite for 4x5 is the Gitzo 1325 carbon fiber tripod but it has the twist locks you don't like. I also own a Bogen 3221 that I don't normally use for 4x5 but on the few occasions when I have it supported my Linhof Master Technika (6 pounds) o.k. It has the flip locks that you want. 3221s (and the 3021s, which are identical to the 3221 except for the color) show up on ebay all the time.

Juergen Sattler
15-Feb-2006, 17:44
Here is the link to Markins' website.

Juergen Sattler
15-Feb-2006, 19:37
And I have not even had a glass of wine tonight - sorry I forgot the address for the Markins' site: http://www.markins.com/2.0/eng/products/accessories/tb.html.

Jerry Fusselman
15-Feb-2006, 23:42
Thanks, Juergen, I see now what you mean. Is the insert an improvement over the tripod-head-mounting plate that comes with the tripod?

By the way, my usual tripod is a Gitzo G1325 mk 2 (with a G1321 leveler), and I see no need for a center column. With a little practice, it usually ends up at eye level when you set it up. You kind of learn how to set the legs for good viewing.

Capocheny
15-Feb-2006, 23:55
Lee,

You have GREAT taste in tripods! :)

Rob,

Look into those leg wraps from Manfrotto for your pod... it'll be a LOT warmer on the hands in cold weather.

Grump,

The Burlebach pods are also nice... you should take a peek at one!

BTW, the locks on the 475 are also flip-locks.

:)

Cheers

neil poulsen
16-Feb-2006, 01:04
I have the 475, and it's excellent. Before the 475, I had the tripod it replaced for 10 years, the 3036. It goes one better than your needs. While it has individually adjustable legs for landscape, slopes, etc., it's also possible to spread them out evenly at one time, like on a standard tripod. If you're on the flat, you don't have to individually spread each leg. It's a winner.

Ted Harris
16-Feb-2006, 07:32
If you cruise the archives here for tripods you will see lots of additional posts. I don't like the Gitzo design either. Like many of us I have accumulated a number of tripods over many years. The two that get the most use are both Linhof's. A Linhof 3414 is my main field tripod, it stays in the back of the Explorer. It's rated load capacity is 13 pounds but that is very conservative. I have used it with several 8x10's (lighter weight ones to be sure) and it was rock solid. With my Canham 5x7 racked out to full bellows extension it is rock solid. I haven't bothered to try and work through in my head the difference between the squarish U leg design of the Linhof's and the round tube design of the Gitzo, manfrotto, etc. but IMO the Linhof design is much sturdier. The 3414 weighs a bit over 5 pounds soit is not the lightest tripod available but it is easy to carry and sets up fast.

My 'traveling tripod' is the Linhof Profi-Port II. It handles any 4x5 field camera you can think of with ease, folds up to less than 17" meaning you can easily put it in any carryon suitcase and weighs about 4 pounds. It is absolutely the best tradeoff I have ever found for a tripod I could "carryon" when traveling by air.

Frank Petronio
16-Feb-2006, 07:48
If only Bob S. would put some Linhof tripod info online - with some photos of the beasts beyond the brochure shots - he could sell a lot more of those tripods. But I'll be danged if I am going to special order one unseen. Especially when places like B&H only have little dark jpgs and don't list the specs right (see the Profi-Port II listing).

I like my Gitzo but I agree, the twist locks are a pain with arthritis.

Bob Salomon
16-Feb-2006, 08:14
Frank,

What would you like to know about the ProfiPort?

Currently it is on close out and will be discontinued. It should retail on closeout for about $200.00.

It is 18" long when collapsed so it will fit into a typical briefcase for travel. Opened up with both center columns in use it is 59" tall + head. For 35mm with lenses of 400mm or longer only half of the base column should be extended. It weighs 4.5 lbs and supports up to 9 lbs. It is equipped with Linhof's small (42mm) Dual Thread Top Plate which can be ussed either on top of the column or 3" up from the bottom of one leg. The column is reversible for low angle work.

Also being closed out is the Twin Shank Pro tripod which will now have a list price of $360.00. Previously it was over $800.00 list.

Supplies are limited to supplies on hand.

Diane Maher
16-Feb-2006, 08:16
For what it's worth, the Manfrotto 475 weighs about 9 lbs.

Bob Salomon
16-Feb-2006, 08:20
" list price of $360.00"

Sorry, the new list is about $550.00 not $360.00.

Lee Hamiel
16-Feb-2006, 09:22
Frank:

A few more images on Linhof's site

http://linhof.de/german/index.html

Click on Zubehor & then Stative - has a few pics collapsed & extended

Ted Harris
16-Feb-2006, 10:23
Check the archives and you will find several earlier posts of mine on the Profi-Port II. I have now used it off and on for a number of months. During that period it has taken 2 plane trips where it got extensive use. In both instances I was using it with a Toyo AII. Fully opened with neither center column extended it is a bit short but it is rock solid. With only one center column extended it will get you up to most working heights you need and is still very solid. Using the second column to get up to the full 5+ feet of extension with a head it gets a bit top heavy but, ,IMO, no more so than any of the other tripods in its size/weight class but that is the tradeoff. I am happy with the tradeoffs here in that I never consider using it when I can carry a heavier 'pod. OTOH it is the only 'pod I have ever found that I can carryon inside a standard, airline approved 22" bag without going through lots of contortions and/or taking up way toomuch space in the bag.

Anybody that wants additional pictures and/or info send me a note offlist please.

Richard Boulware
16-Feb-2006, 13:25
Bob Salomon mentioned the Linhof Twin-Shank Pro, which IMHO is one of the finest tripods ever made. Why do I say this? It is my belief that the weight to strength ratio is one of the best I have ever seen. I also have other makes of tripod, but the Twin-Shank Pro is the one I pack on a shoot, and why the others are left behind. I think so much of the Twin-Shank Pro, that I even have a 'spare'. They come up on Ebay regularly.

IMHO the finest Linhof tripod ever made is the De Luxe Studio Pro with elevator center column. The legs on this tripod are reinforced with inside outrigers, and because of this enique leg design and clamping system, the tripod legs can be extended into positions, and locked, in positions only a contortionist could appreciate. (Once, I had to shoot an auto ad up near Mt. Whitney and had to fix the legs of the tripod...one on the ground, and two against boulders on either side. The De Luxe Studio performed well. Any other tripod could not have done this.) Oh...another thing.
The perfect head for the De Luxe Studio, is the Linhof De Luxe 3-Way Pan Tilt Head. Another amazing Linhof engineering product, with more 'surface area to lock' that 99% of any tripod ever build. The reason that Linhof heads and tripods are still bringing good prices, far after their time has come and gone....is simply that they are/were .....designed right and built rugged...and with precision.

Richard Schlesinger
17-Feb-2006, 12:27
Many years ago I had a Linhof twin shank with a Linhof head. I attended an Ansel Adams workshop, leaned the tripod in the corner of my room where it fell over. The attachment for the head to the tripod broke and the whole thing was unusable. This on the second day of the workshop! Al Weber loaned me a steel Majestic (my memory is that it weighed at least 200 pounds). Anyway, that kind of soured me on Linhof tripods.

But I think, after reading all the above recommendations I'll have another look.Maybe things have improved in the last 40+ years!

Many thanks for all the information/suggestions.