PDA

View Full Version : Vast Collection of Photo Memorabilia For Sale

Saulius
26-Jan-2006, 19:02
I know some of us on this board like to hoard photography equipment and related paraphernalia but this one just takes the cake!
Vast Collection of Photo Memorabilia For Sale (http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/newswire/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001883867)

Wish I could check it out in person.

Michael Graves
26-Jan-2006, 19:11
That's too good.

"My wife and children have no interest in it. I'm sure they'll use the 5,000 square feet I've taken over in the house for something else."

Like put my entire yard and house together into it and still have room for a swimming pool!!

Tracy Storer
26-Jan-2006, 20:26
Jack Naylor is a good man, a gentleman and a scholar. His interest in cameras, photography, and photographers is genuine and intense. He worked hard to earn the success that allowed him to indulge in collections that he has generously shared with many many visitors to his home and museum. He doesn't just buy the stuff, he researches, studies, uses it, and writes about it to educate others.
When I lived in Boston I used to go over occasionally to visit. His enthusiasm for cameras and images is contagious. I wish there were more like him around.

Oren Grad
26-Jan-2006, 20:52
Have to second Tracy's point. Naylor is perhaps the premier camera collector of our time, and has pursued his enthusiasm with energy, intelligence and generosity.

Donald Brewster
27-Jan-2006, 08:38
$20 million is a lot of scratch (sounds like Getty money to me), but it sounds like a collection that it would be a pity to break up. I hope some institution is able to work out a deal to acquire it and display this fascinating collection properly. I imagine the Eastman House would be out of the question . . . . .

Mark Sampson
27-Jan-2006, 08:52
Eastman House (like the rest of us) doesn't have that kind of money. Too bad though- a collection like that will never be equalled. BTW, the GEH got most of its early (non-Kodak) holdings from Alden Scott Boyer, who had a collection like Mr. Naylor's back in the '30s and '40s. Of course in those days photographica was not thought of as valuable- and Beaumont Newhall got Boyer to donate his collection. Won't happen today!

Scott Davis
27-Jan-2006, 12:04
Well, if he dies before the collection is sold, I'm sure the heirs will be more than happy to donate it to a major institution (Smithsonian, or GEH, or other such establishment) for a nice big fat tax writeoff. $20M takes a serious bite out of your estate taxes.