PDA

View Full Version : Cases for Photo Gear

neil poulsen
25-Jan-2006, 10:39
I'm thinking about getting some cases for photo gear, and I'm considering Pellican. I like their idea of hard plastic that's waterproof with replaceable O-rings. They have padded inserts that are flexible for holding a lot of different types of gear, lenses, etc. Their gear can also be locked for airline travel.

I don't know much about cases. Is this good quality stuff? Does it break easily? Can it handle heavy gear, like a couple of Dyna-lite M2000 power packs? (I would use some padding with the power packs.) I'm wondering about other photographers' experiences with Pellican cases.

Mike H.
25-Jan-2006, 10:46
Unless it is "carry on", it is not supposed to be locked. TSA has to be able to open and inspect, and if locked, they may break the lock.

Ellis Vener
25-Jan-2006, 10:48
I have Pelican and Lightware and I much prefer the Lightware cases. less deadweight and more protection for my gear: I use Lightware cases for lighting, grip and cameras. The downside is that I can't stand on them the way I can with a Pelican, Anvil or Zarges cases. If you can find Zargs cases those are a better choice than the Pelicans as well. My oldest Lightwar cases go back about 21 years. I've replaced a Pelcian or two in the less than 10 years time I've owned them.

http://lightwareinc.com/site/index.cfm

Ted Harris
25-Jan-2006, 10:52
Neil,

See my post yesterday about bags but the concentrationt here is flexible bags which are sturdy and padded but not bombproof or hard sided such as the Pelican. My general feeling is that,of those readily available in the US Pelican gives you good protection for the dollar. There are some other choices which you should consider though:

1) Rimowa Tropicana cases ... no longer imported by HP Marketing Corp. (not sure if they are still made) but IMO the solidest cases ever made for photo gear and possibly also the heaviest.

2) Amabilia ... Bogen is the US impoerter or was and these too may no longer be made but nearly as good as Rimowa and in the same price ball park.

3) Porter Case .. a real marvel but only available in one or two sizes. Sturdy and airline carryone size. I once had mine filled with 8x10 gear and United made me check it ... it was fine.

4) Zero Halliburton ... solid but IMO not in the same class as the others above,also much less expensive (BTW I have one of these for sale .. contact me offlist for details if you are interested).

5) Used ATA rated cases such as those made by Anvil. Most cases of this type are custom made for something else so you often need to do some work to get the inside the way you want it. When you do they are as bombproof as Rimowa Tropicana cases and waterproof, etc. as long as thy were not abused by the previous owner. Often very,very heavy. I have one that I use to transport a Horseman monorail system when I have to and the case alone weighs some 20 lbs.

Tim Brazelton
25-Jan-2006, 11:09
I have a Pelican 1660 that came with the Pick-and-Pluck foam. It's a pretty large case about 30" long, 20" wide and 20" deep. The outside of this case has tons of scratches and nicks but it still seals well. It has held up to dropping and dragging from airlines around the world and my gear has never been damaged. It saved my gear when a wave came into the open back of a fishing boat off of Molakai. Overall it is a very tough case offering great protection. However, the weight of the case and foam alone is significant. It probably weighs 40lbs empty and with equipment inside it usually exceeds airline weight restrictions so you have to pay the $50 or 75$ oversize luggage fee.

Beware: after you pluck out the foam to make holes for your gear you need to vacuum inside the foam because there will be a lot of foam dust. The foam dust builds up over time from vibrations so you will need to periodically vacuum. For long trips, I put dust sensitive gear in plastic garbage bags inside the foam holes to protect from the foam dust.

A bonus to the 1660 is that it is the perfect height to stand up boxes of Quickloads in the case. I usually include a row or two of Quickloads along one side of the case insead of the extra foam. Security has always been great about not x-raying the film even when it is in checked luggage. I just include 3 sheets of Polaroid Type 53 at perpendicular angles (because I don't know the angle they might x-ray it from) and shoot and develop it when I arrive to ensure that my film hasn't been x-rayed.

Mike Cockerham
25-Jan-2006, 11:20
Take alook at StormCase page (http://www.stormcase.com). I have both Pelican and StormCase. StormCAse is just as durable but has much easier to operate latches.

resummerfield
25-Jan-2006, 11:36
I've used Pelican 1600 with the dividers for over 10 years with no problems other than surface scratches. I just bought a newer one, and it is much improved (hinges, handles, etc). The best case/protection for the money.

Michael Graves
25-Jan-2006, 11:36
I have an Eddie Bauer duffle that set me back about forty bucks. It holds 8 5x7 film holders in anti-static ziplock bags, an extra lens mounted on a Toyo board, two cable releases, a spotmeter, six filters, a notebook and pencil and is still easy to sling over my shoulder.

Arne Croell
25-Jan-2006, 12:41
Ted, the Rimowa Tropicana is still made, see:

www.rimowa.de/index_int.asp?spr=Amerika (http://www.rimowa.de/index_int.asp?spr=Amerika)

There is a list of US dealers on their web site, too.

Ben Calwell
25-Jan-2006, 14:26
To piggyback on Neil's question -- is there a Pelican case that could handle a Sinar F-1?

robert_4927
25-Jan-2006, 14:39
I use pelican cases for my 8x20's. They are about as strong as any case I've ever seen. The pick and pluck foam makes it as versatile as you will find for any configuration. Great cases and sledge hammer tough.

Ellis Vener
25-Jan-2006, 21:15
it is funny to see cases made for photo gear described as bombproof.

The best cases for storing fragile gear are made by Zarges: waterproof, dustproof, far more rugged than anything else mentioned here , also light and stackable , are the Zarges cases, which are made to NATO military spec.

http://www.apgcases.com/zarges.htm

I've got two of the K475 model cases-- there is literally nothing else like them.

jhogan
25-Jan-2006, 21:31
Tenba. Tenba. <b>Tenba!!!</> (http://www.tenbagear.com)

Stan. Laurenson-Batten
26-Jan-2006, 06:56
I use Pelcan for all my photographic gear: Blads & Sinars. The largest takes my Sinar 10x8 slides lenses and other bits with ease.

I have it fitted on a ss rack on the rear of my RV. Very sturdy and watertight. Easy to use, secure and fit out with foam that is supplied in abundance.

Not cheap-but neither is the gear they protect!

Walt Calahan
26-Jan-2006, 07:22
For travel, Pelican for the camera and lenses; Lightware for lighting gear. The airport gorillas haven't broken anything yet.

Around town, Tenba camera bags and Lowepro backpacks.

I am really enjoying the "lunchbox" case I found at Duluth Trading company for carrying 8x10 holders, film and changing tent.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/searchresults/35629.aspx

This case is amazing for what I can put in it while protecting the 8x10 holders!

Frank Petronio
26-Jan-2006, 08:50
</b>

The Lightware cases I've had work really well and have outlasted the similar Tenba styles. Lately I have been carrying my smaller stuff in regular daypacks and briefcases because they look less tempting than camera bags, and I like going minimalist. But for lighting I stick with Lightware for the protection and weight advantages.

I use a Lightware 1629 for my 8x10 and it holds everything - including a daypack with holders, spare ground glass, and even a 300 series Gitzo tripod and dirty clothes. Carry the film and DSLR in the carry-on and fuggidaboutit.

Caroline Matthews
26-Jan-2006, 22:58
A clarification on locking checked baggage: My understanding is that TSA must be able to enter a locked bag. There are locks available for which TSA has a standardized key. They can open the lock and relock it. These locks are available from Brookstone and others. While I do usually lock my checked bags with these locks, the only times I've found notes from TSA indicating they have inspected my bags is when a bag has been unlocked, so I don't really know if they actually honor their own system. I never check my valuable photo gear (camera, lenses, meter, etc.), but carry-on instead and check everything else. It's also advisable to put a prominent note in your checked baggage requesting TSA to relock your bags.