PDA

View Full Version : Bags, Bags, Bags

Ted Harris
24-Jan-2006, 16:14
For those of you that have noted and been interested in the Orvis Safe Passage Reel and Gear Case that Kerry and I have discussed it is now on sale at $29, way lower than ever before. There is also a Safe Passage Waterproof Kit Bag on sale for $49 and it is also quite impressive. I have been banging one of the kit bags around as part of a future VC article on bags (July - August issue). This is a medium to largish shoulder bag that meets airline requirements and holds a good amount of stuff. I currently have it filled with a Toyo AII, three lenses in wraps, spot meter, 545i holder, 30 sheets of film, a DSLR, a bunch of assorted odd bits and it is not nearly full. It went on the plane with me to LAX and back and on a couple of shooting excursions while there. It has a built in rain cover which is also nice to lay out gear on the beach or in the woods. At the price a real bargain.

Tom Westbrook
24-Jan-2006, 16:27
Thanks for the tip. I presume you mean here (http://www.orvis.com/store/product_directory_tnail.asp?dir_id=1137&group_id=9565&cat_id=10047&subcat_id=10048&bhcp=1).

Lee Hamiel
24-Jan-2006, 17:02
Thanks Ted

I also bought a few photographer's shirts at National Geographic & wanted to pass this along - they are on sale for 29.99 from 69.99 & are great.

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2303&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=2303

Curtis Nelson
25-Jan-2006, 09:08
Thanks for the tip, Ted.

Does this bag have moveable, padded inserts? Do you by any chance have a picture of your bag loaded with gear? This may be just the thing I've been looking for!

Thanks again,

Curtis

Ted Harris
27-Jan-2006, 21:45
Curtis,

Nice padding on the outside but no movable partions inside. Not a big deal for me with wraps doing a nice job.

If you still want apic send me a note offlist and I will snap one.

David Karp
27-Jan-2006, 22:26
Just a note to all. The Safe Passage Reel and Gear Case at $29 is selling out fast. I dropped by the Pasadena Orvis store to pick one up and they were sold out. The sales person called 4-5 stores in the western U.S., and they were all out of stock too. Eventually, we ordered one from their catalog ordering center, but they said they don't have too many left (however many that is). After this model is sold out, it will disappear, and a new design will replace it.

David Karp
3-Feb-2006, 14:07
I received my Reel and Gear Case today. Very nice.

Thanks Ted.

Ted Harris
3-Feb-2006, 14:10
Good deal Dave and a quick update for all. I just got my latest Orvis Fishing Catalogue yesterday and note that they have a 'new' sweries of Safe Passage bags shown. They appear much like the older series, maybe a tiny bit more padding or a tiny bit more ability to move dividers around but all in all largely the same .... except for the price. The reel and gear bag is back at $59 and the new kit bag is $129 so go gt the old ones while the supply lasts!