PDA

View Full Version : View Camera conference

steve simmons
23-Jan-2006, 11:11
View Camera is putting on its 4th Large Format Photo Conference this year in Rockford, IL. The dates are June 9-11 for the conference but we are also scheduling activities for the 8th of June as well.

We will be doing more hands on activities this year including a wet plate workshop all day on the 8th, an all day field trip to the Il. State RR Museum on the 8th, a portrait and figure workshop the morning of the 9th, a Ziatype workshop the morning of the 9th, and a scanning workshop the morning of the 11th.

We are updating the program on our web site

www.viewcamera.com

as we get more specific info

There will also be a trade show (free admission) the afternoon of the 9th, all day on the 10th, and on the 11th.

It is important that we all support this effort. Last year's conference helped encourage Ilford to make their current ULF film offering so companies look to this conference to see what is happening in the large format community.

steve simmons

Kirk Gittings
23-Jan-2006, 11:37
Count me in as always. This is one of the events every year that I look forward to the most.

Kerry L. Thalmann
23-Jan-2006, 11:51
Conflict of interest disclaimer: I write for View Camera and will be presenting at the conference in Rockford.

That said, I'd really like to encourage people to attend this conference. I have been fortunate enough to have been invited to present at the last three conferences and have enjoyed each one immensely. In addition to all the worthwhile presentations, the conference is just a great place to hang out and chat with other largef format photographers. It's a great place to network, meet new people, catch up with old friends, see some fantastic work, check out the latest equipment, and just plain have fun. Moving the location of the conference every year is a great idea. At each conference I've been able to meet, in person, several people I have known only online for years.

The trade show is also the best place I know of to see a wide variety of large format equipment. With many of the top large format equipment dealers and several manufacturers present, the trade show is the place to be if you're in the market for a new (or used) large format camera. It's the perfect place to see and fondle a wide variety of cameras and other LF gear before shelling out your hard earned dollars. Equipment reviews and the opinions of others can be helpful, but there is no substitute to a hands-on evaluation to determine if a camera, tripod or other peice of gear is right for you. It's also your chance to provide feedback to dealers, distributors and manufacturers on their products and what new and improved products you'd like to see.

I hope to see many of you there.

Kerry

Eric Rose
23-Jan-2006, 12:45
I'll be at the APUG conference in May.

Ted Harris
23-Jan-2006, 13:03
A conflict of interest disclaimer from me as well as I also write for View Camera and will be presenting at the conference.

I echo everything Kerry said above and want to add a few things. With a bow in Steve's direction for thinking hard on how to make the conference better and more hands-on, Kerry and I and others have made a number of suggestions to Steve on ways to change and improve the conference. I think the workshops that are being offered this year are exciting, offer something for a wide variety of interests and are a real opportunity for small group hands-on work that you don’t usually find at a conference such as this. As for the pricing of these sessions, I understand that the final pricing will be $100 for the full day workshop and $75 for each of the half day workshops and that there may be some discounts for those signing up for multiple workshops. Contact me offlist and I’ll be happy to answer any questions I can on the Portrait & Figure and Scanning workshops.

Regardless of your area of interest I think you will find the conference exciting and energizing. I look forward to seeing folks there and putting more faces to the names familiar from this and other online groups.

Ted

Richard Wasserman
23-Jan-2006, 14:46
I'll be there. Seeing as how I live about 45 minutes from Rockford, how can I not? I've never been to a Large Format Conference and am really looking forward to going.

Kirk Gittings
23-Jan-2006, 14:47
I should offer the same disclaimer as Kerry and Ted about my relationship with VC. What great company! Join us. I will be presenting on topics including my specialty Architectural Photography with (we think) one of the luminaries from Hedrich Blessing.

chris_4622
23-Jan-2006, 15:06
When I heard last year the conference was going to be held in Chicago I was excited. This will be my first, but I can't tell you what a drag it was when I read it is going to be in Rockford. With so many places in the Chicagoland area why Rockford? Ninety miles from Chicago. I'm sure I'll get some heat about my rant so I'll just say I'll be there...but Rockford!

steve simmons
23-Jan-2006, 15:15
If I had done the conference in Chicago it would be much more expensive.

steve

Patricia Langer
23-Jan-2006, 16:07
I loved last year's conference and I'm looking forward to Rockford.

John Berry ( Roadkill )
23-Jan-2006, 16:22
As long as your not talking about 35mm, I see no conflict of interest. I see common interest. I know the reason for the statements, I just have a weird slant to my views. Wish I could be there, but that's drag racing season for me.

Brett Deacon
23-Jan-2006, 18:41
Thanks to Steve and everyone affiliated with View Camera for putting this together. I am eagerly awaiting my first view camera conference! I currently live in Wyoming but was born and raised in Rockford and am looking forward to coming home. Rockford is not exactly a landscape photographer's mecca, but otherwise it will make for a great (and less expensive) place to host the conference. While O'Hare/Midway are likely the most accessible airports for most people, those in the Denver area should know that United Airlines will be flying non-stop twice daily from Rockford to Denver starting in March.

Kirk Gittings
23-Jan-2006, 18:41
John,

Is that post in the right thread? I have no idea what you are refering to. Maybe it is me. I've been getting by with 4 hours sleep of late.

kreig
23-Jan-2006, 19:10
I attended the first LF conference and would NOT recommend going. I fell in love with a 14"x17" camera, made a purchase and have been broke ever since!!!!! :-)

Joking aside, the first conference was the best ever, learned a lot, met many nice people, spent too much money and found the three days to not be enough. I plan to attend more and certainly encourage everyone else to attend. Traveling to Egypt in March and to mainland China in October, maybe Rockford is not so far away.

eric mac
23-Jan-2006, 19:20
I was always disappointed that the conference was on the wrong coast. I look forward to attending both the show and the shoot at the railroad museum. It will be nice to be able to shoot railway again. Perhaps the next O. Winston Link will be in attendance.

Eric

Ben Chase
23-Jan-2006, 22:32
It's too bad it's not happening any closer to the West Coast....I'm in Spokane.

John Berry ( Roadkill )
24-Jan-2006, 00:12
Kirk,
I was referring to the conflict of interest disclaimers by those involved with the conference.

Kirk Gittings
24-Jan-2006, 02:41
Sorry I get it now. Notice this post is being made at 2:41 am....

Robert Skeoch
24-Jan-2006, 05:32
Rockford.... isn't that where they keep all the files.
I'm planning to go.
-Rob

Kerry L. Thalmann
24-Jan-2006, 11:51
It's too bad it's not happening any closer to the West Coast....I'm in Spokane.

Ben,

Let Steve know where you'd like the next conference to be held. The first three conferences were out west (Albuquerque, Sante Fe and Monterey), but Steve has wisely decided it would be best to move the location of the conference from year-to-year to allow as many people as possible to attend.

Personally, I think a large format conference in the Pacific Northwest would be a great idea. Portland has a very active LF community and a strong history of prominent LF photographers. The late May/early June time frame also works well for location shooting and workshops. It's one of my favorite times of the year to shoot at the Oregon Coast or in the Columbia River Gorge.

Seattle would be another alternative (but probably spendier than Portland).

So, let Steve know your preferences. He has been very responsive to such requests in the past and has shown a willingness to move the conference location to accomodate as many people as possible. Besides, for people like me who attend every year, it's fun to visit new locations.

Kerry

kreig
24-Jan-2006, 20:14
Bellingham, WAshington is located 1/2 way between Seattle, USA and Vancouver, Canada. Close to the sea, the Cascade mountains, lakes, streams, water falls, inland sea islands, ferries, great beaches, great sunsets, great people, safe place to travel and to photograph. Completely different from the southwest and did I mention, a great place to photograph.

So my vote for the next LF conference is in Bellingham. Of course I just happen to live here . . . . . . . . . .

Kreig

Ben Chase
24-Jan-2006, 20:46
Put my vote in for Bellingham as well. I grew up there, and lodging isn't that expensive.

Actually, either Bellingham or Portland would be work for me.

Ben Chase
24-Jan-2006, 20:47
What I MEANT to say was: Bellingham or Portland would work for me.

Ed Richards
25-Jan-2006, 10:59
Consider airfare as well - Chicago works for that, although you still have to rent a car. I think you should think about New Orleans - we are pretty much back in busines, esp. for small groups. Lots of interesting things to take pictures of, including good field trips to old plantation houses.

steve simmons
25-Jan-2006, 15:07
There is a direct bus from O'Hare to the hotel. It is a one hour trip.

steve simmons

Diane Maher
25-Jan-2006, 16:32
Personally, I'm happy to see the conference in the midwest. It's not terribly far and I can drive and bring my camera. Having it on either coast is a plane trip and I'm not ready to pack an Ansco 8x10 plus lenses and accessories into a suitcase.

darr
25-Jan-2006, 17:12
Happy for all that can make the conference. I'm by the Florida Keys and can't travel far in June. Maybe Miami, Orlando, or Key West will be in the future? Have fun ;o)

Ted Harris
11-May-2006, 11:11
Large Format Photography Conference Free Trade Show

Remember the Trade Show is free and open to the public. Registration for the Conference is NOT required. There are still one or two possible vendors that may join the list but,for now it is reasonably complete.

The Exhibitors/Vendors by category include:

Manufacturers of cameras,lenses, accessories, etc: Arca-Swiss, Bergger Products, Better Light, Cooke Optics, Eastman Kodak, Fuji, Ilford, Lee Filters, MAC Group (Toyo), Ries, Tim Guetersloh.

US Distributers/Retailers: Badger Graphic Sales, Bostick & Sullivan, Bromwell Marketing, Calumet, HP Marketing, Hunt’s Photo, Igor’s Cameras, Inkjet Mall, Laser Light, Midwest Photo, Quality Camera.

The Trade Show will be open Friday evening, June 9th and all day Saturday and Sunday, June 10th and 11th.

Ted Harris
11-May-2006, 16:31
Apologies to all .... the Trade Show/Conference is being held in the Best Western Clocktower Resort Hotel in Rockford, IL. Rockford is about an hour and a half Northwest of Chicago.

Paul Metcalf
11-May-2006, 21:43
Well, I'll be 2 for 4 after this one (missed lasts year, as it turned out, I was in Connecticut the week of the conference but couldn't make it up) as I have to be in Rocky Mountain National Park that week, taking pictures, maybe a little fly fishing, some hiking, relaxing, visiting family. Well, an even trade I guess. Watch that VC Conference trade show, it is expensive (you will buy something, trust me). If next year's event is in the NW, I'm in (and I'd avoid Seattle as well, I live here, too busy and expensive. People can day trip into Seattle if they want).

Ted Harris
16-May-2006, 07:24
Two late additions to the free trade show. Schneider USA and Renaissance Photo Tec (photobackpacker.com).

steve simmons
16-May-2006, 13:10
We have two more additions to the list of exhibitors

Darkroom Automation and Pixilmation. DA makes darkroom equipment and Pixilmation is a scanning service.

steve simmons
www.viewcamera.com

Jim Grimes
24-May-2006, 06:36
Steve,
I know I am jumping the gun, but when and where will the next conference be held? Unfortunately, I cannot attend this year, but will plan on the next one.

Thanks,
James

steve simmons
24-May-2006, 07:28
Possibly here in New Mexico to coincide with PhotoArts Santa Fe. This would be in July 07.

I know Portland has a lot of fans and I will consider this for a subsequent location

steve

steve simmons
30-May-2006, 06:07
Keith Walklet of Blackjacket will be exhibiting at the View Camera Conference Trade Show as well. We are still hoping for Microtek.

The tradeshow is free and will probably hav the largest collection of new and used large format equipment and supplies anywhere in one place at one time. If you are interested in looking at equipment, etc., this may be your best opportunity.

The trade show is free and no adance registration is required. The locatin is the Best Western Clocktower Resort in Rockford, IL.Their phone number is 815-398-6000.

A complete program and trade show floorplan is available at

www.viewcamera.com

steve simmons

John Jarosz
30-May-2006, 07:58
Where is the floor plan?

I must be missing something....

john

steve simmons
30-May-2006, 11:04
Sorry, but it has been fixed. The complete program should now be there

We may be adding a seminar on making digital negs

steve simmons

Chuck Pere
5-Jun-2006, 16:48
Possible interest for people in the area for the conference is a Catherine Opie show at MCA:

http://www.mcachicago.org/

She is using a 7x17 camera. I haven't seen the show yet but it sounds interesting. An interview with her on the local public radio is at:

http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/audio_library/848_ramay06.asp

It on the May 24 show under Chicago at night.

Charles Hohenstein
5-Jun-2006, 17:35
A complete program and trade show floorplan is available at

www.viewcamera.com

steve simmons

Since Steve didn't give the full URL, it is:

http://www.viewcamera.com/pdf/2006/vc_conference_2006.pdf

Charles Hohenstein
5-Jun-2006, 17:46
I'm hoping to attend the free trade show, maybe on Saturday. Maybe I will run into some of you then.

Charles Hohenstein
5-Jun-2006, 18:22
By the way, is anyone from northern Indiana headed toward Rockford? It would be great if I could hitch a ride.

steve simmons
6-Jun-2006, 06:52
At this point if you are planning on going to the View Camera Conference in Rockford, IL feel fre to just show up and go. The trade show is free. If yo want to do the seminars you can register at the door. All of the special workshops sessions are full.

I am taking an informal and unscientific poll for next year's location. Here are the posibilities

Louisville, KY

Denver, CO

Portland, OR

Albuquerque/Santa Fe, NM

teve simmons

Tom Westbrook
6-Jun-2006, 07:09
I just added a poll to the thread, so people can vote that way instead of creating a bunch of messages (though they can still do that if they want).

Kirk Gittings
6-Jun-2006, 07:39
I would like to argue for Louisville Kentucky. There will be a history of photography show from the George Eastman House there at the Museum (courtesy of Paul Paletti), The Paul Paletti Gallery will host something related to LF and knowing Paul he will involve half the city and arts community in activities surrounding the conference. besides Paul Paletti it is a great city in a wonderful location.

Eric Biggerstaff
6-Jun-2006, 08:19
Is it possible to get the poll set up on it's own thread so it won't be buried in this one? I think we might have more responses that way.

All of the places are great but of course I am partial to Denver as I live here ( there is a fairly large LF community in the area) or Santa Fe ( there is a lot of photography to enjoy there).

I used to live in Lexington, Kentucky and agree with Kirk that it is a beautiful area of the country for sure, but I am pulling for Denver or Santa Fe!

Jay Wolfe
6-Jun-2006, 19:08
I lived in Louisville for two years. The worst place I ever lived. Nice countryside. Ugly city. Sorry, I have very bad memories.

Scott Davis
7-Jun-2006, 10:37
I'll add another pitch for Louisville. Someplace I could actually conceive of driving to!

Paul Paletti
7-Jun-2006, 11:10
I'm sorry Jay has such bad memories. But Louisville has changed dramatically in the last 5 years, particularly with regard to the visual arts. The First Friday Gallery Hop downtown is an amazing monthly event, with over 10,000 people coming out to enjoy the art and nightlife scene.
Come to Louisville, and you won't be disappointed.

Christopher Perez
7-Jun-2006, 11:33
For a large format conference, I say come to Portland, Oregon.

At least we have big mountains and a big ocean just down the road.

:D

... Come to Louisville, and you won't be disappointed.

jshanesy
7-Jun-2006, 12:03
I lived in Louisville for two years. The worst place I ever lived. Nice countryside. Ugly city. Sorry, I have very bad memories.

So do I. I grew up there. Lousiville is the "best place in the world to be from".

However, as quite a few accomplished LF photographers will attest (many of whom frequent this forum), if Paletti hosts the event you'll have the photographic time of your life. I promise.

BTW, the worst place I've ever lived is Ft. Wayne, Indiana. Louisville is like Vienna under the Hapsburg Empire by comparison.

jshanesy
7-Jun-2006, 12:21
The First Friday Gallery Hop downtown is an amazing monthly event, with over 10,000 people coming out to enjoy the art and nightlife scene.

They also come out to buy fine art photographs. Paul's operation is a gallery. I know more than one photographer who's moved a lot of pictures out the door during those gallery hops.

Jay Wolfe
7-Jun-2006, 15:06
Oh, great! I have a work assignment in Ft. Wayne in two weeks. Ugh.

Capocheny
7-Jun-2006, 16:59
For a large format conference, I say come to Portland, Oregon.

At least we have big mountains and a big ocean just down the road.

:D

I agree with Chris... besides the beautiful mountains, water, and other great things the region has to offer, Portland is just a grand ole place for LF shooters!

And, the drive along the Oregon Coast is spectacular! It's a LF shooter's paradise!

Lastly, Vancouver, B.C. is just a short couple of hours away from Seattle... great place to visit! :)

All the best of luck on a successful Conference, Steve!

Cheers

Paul Paletti
9-Jun-2006, 08:23
I think Portland would be great for the 2008 conference. I'm trying to get you all to Louisville in 2007 because of the confluence of photographic events which will be going on in June-July 2007. These include a great History of Photography show (154 prints) from the George Eastman House, which will be at the Speed Museum. The galleries in town will also be having the Photo Biennial, and most of them will be showing photography. And I'm sure the Louisville Photo Archive will participate with a special show. The Archive is one of the best kept secrets in the photographic world, with over 1.5 million images, including the Roy Stryker collection from his time at Standard Oil, after the Farm Security Administration years.

FarmerBill
12-Jun-2006, 11:59
I'd like to invite you all to Louisville next year on behalf of the University of Louisville's Photographic Archives. We'll be mounting an exhibit of the best of the large format photography from our collections in our gallery. We've got everything from Ansel Adams to Edward Weston (and now we've got a "Z", just added 2 prints by Ion Zupcu to our fine print collection) with a lot in between: Dick Arentz, Paul Capinigro, Clarence John Laughlin and Aaron Siskind. The Roy Stryker collection contains some of Roy's favorite photos from the FSA project, hundreds of vintage prints by Evans, Lange and Lee, to name but a few. Then there's the Nineteenth Century photographs and the Twentieth Century studio work, particulary the Caufield & Shook and Royal Photo Studios. Click on the link at the end of my signature to see more.

Don't forget that Kentucky is the home of bourbon whisky, which we classified as a photochemical when I was studying photo at RISD back in the last century.

The Photo Archives is located in the Ekstrom Library which is next door to the Speed Art Museum, where the Eastman House show will be and just a short drive from the Market Street gallery district, so things are conveniently located and parking is plentiful and cheap and/or free.

While we don't have the dramatic landscapes of the West, I like to think of the eastern hardwood forests, streams and waterfalls as thought provoking landscapes, even kinda Zen. If photos of the Western landscape are the equivalent of abstract expressionism, then photos of the eastern hardwood forest are like field painting, right?

Ok, enuff BS for now. Hope to see you all next summer.

steve simmons
12-Jun-2006, 13:17
OK, here is what I want from/for a location

large enough area, or very close to one, that will create an audience of sufficient size to make it worthwhile. Also, an area that is easy to get to without three transfers, or even two, on the airlines, etc.

a place to hold workshop sessions like we did this year - wet plate, Ziatype, portrait and figure, scanning, etc. This could be a private residence, a community darkroom and studio space, etc. These were very successful this year and a good addition to the program

local support from photo groups to help promote the conference

Here is what we will add next time - portfolio reviews. This was, I think from what I've heard, the single most requested addition from the attendees

I am open to more thoughts, suggestions, etc.

thanks

steve simmons

Paul Paletti
12-Jun-2006, 13:59
Steve:
We will be able to do all of this in Louisville.
We are centrally located, and have air service by Delta, Southwest, United, Northwest, Continental, American, US Air and Midwest.
I have been working on facilities, and we should be able to have workshops in Bernheim Forest, a 14,000 acre nature preserve south of town with a reputation of hosting fine photographers in their Artist in Residence program. I will also search out industrial venues for photographic outings.
The Louisville Convention Visitors Bureau is extremely helpful with the logistics of bidding out facilities for the group, and will help with inspecting the facilities and evaluating the bids. They are a great resource.
And of course the photographic community here is anxious to have the LF Conference come in, so we can show you what we've got going, and learn what others are doing across the country.
Everyone will have a great time here.
Paul Paletti

Christopher Perez
12-Jun-2006, 14:09
Has a trip report from the most recent LF Conference been posted yet?

I'm curious to hear how it went.

Steve Sherman
12-Jun-2006, 18:55
My vote is for Louisville in 2007 for three reasons.

#1 You don't go to a View Camera Conference to make wonderful images, sorry Pacific Northwest. You go to the View Camera Conference to learn, meet others who enjoy looking at upside down images under a darkcloth at F 8 or smaller and immerse yourself in photography for three days and nights.

#2 With the numerous and varied photographic events which will come together during next June and July, there will be multiple activities and interests for each and every LF photog.

#3 Paul Paletti knows the city, he knows photography and most of all knows how to keep the lights burining into the wee hours so rest up now for the best Conference to date

Robert Brummitt
12-Jun-2006, 19:20
Living in Portland, Oregon. It would be nice to have a conference here. Oregon has a strong photo community. Portland Photographers Forum is one of the major groups there in.

Kirk Gittings
12-Jun-2006, 19:26
Though I spent most of my time filling in for Steve (as did Ted Harris and Michael Mutmansky, Steve was unable to travel because of emergency eye surgery), what I did manage to get to was very useful and informative, Cone's representative, Michael Collette/Betterlight, the keynote speakers, Jet Lowe, Kerry Thalman on backpacking, Peter LeGrande on the figure, Alan Labb opn inkjet etc. There were many others that I wanted to get to but could not because they conflicted with my own presentations, but I heard they were great, Gordon Hutchins/Alan Ross, Hutchins/Sullivan on pyro, Ted Harris and Michael Mutmansky on scanning, etc. All went very well except for Liverpool refugy, Mike Walker, who was flooded out of his room and couldn't find the soccer games he wanted on the cable channels. The lack of portfolio reviews, I think was an oversight that should be reinstated, but overall it seemed first rate.

There are many people who I only see there every year and it is always great to see old friends in the business and catch up.

I am still in favour of Louisville. It was clear to me after some in depth discussions with Paul Palleti at the conference that his committment to the event and his connections in the Louisville art community will make for a memorable conference.

Tom Westbrook
12-Jun-2006, 19:50
I just got back home, so here are some random comments on the parts I participated in.

I think it went quite well. Ted Harris and Kirk Gittings (and maybe others) are probably worn out since they had to run the thing. Steve Simmons couldn't attend. Rockford has some nice urban decay, old factories and interesting old architecture that proved to be nice to photograph in the off hours. The seminars that I attended were uniformly informative and the presenters were all well prepared. I wish that a better sound system had been available so you could hear some of them better. The hotel was adequate--their wireless network didn't relaly work in the room I was in, so I had to schlep my laptop closer to the front desk to be able to use it--annoying. The trade show was great with a nice selection of vendors. It was good to meet various people that I hadn't before. Kirk Gittings and George Lambros presentation on architectural photography was very informative--their approaches are quite different but both had some really beautiful images to show. Kerry Thallman brought his spanking new custom built 7x17 for show and tell--it was a beautiful thing to behold. He actually intends to backpack the thing, which I find completely insane, but I'm sure he'll figure out how to do it if anyone can. His backpacking with LF presentation was also very good. There were a number of digital seminars, but probably still more traditionally oriented ones. One theme I noted in a few of the seminars was the observations about archiving digital images and the problems still to be worked out. I particularly enjoyed Gordon Hutchings beginners quickie course on lenses. The Better Light presentation on their scanning back was nicely done, and didn't shy away from discussing the shortcomings of a scanning back (motion in the subject can have some surprising effects in the image!). One really interesting talk was by Jack Boucher, a photographer with Park Service's HABS (http://www.cr.nps.gov/habshaer/) project, who showed some really cool images, including some of Kalaupapa the leprosy quarantine site in Molokai, Hawaii. He said that while they didn't have money any longer to farm work out to photographers, you can go to your state or local historical preservation agency to see if you can get work from them. Probably the most surprising session was the final one where Fuji, Bergger, Kodak and Ilford (in that order) sat at the same table and echoed the same thing: use film or lose it, use your favorite lab or see it disappear or quit processing film. All those guys agreed that film would be around as long as we kept using it. They were seeing declines, but not as bad as had been expected, so there is a bit of good news there.

All in all, it was worth the fee and the gas to get there. I really appreciate that it was relatively close to home so I could justify going. I might actually go to the next one.

Has a trip report from the most recent LF Conference been posted yet?

I'm curious to hear how it went.

Joseph Kayne
13-Jun-2006, 07:16
I had a good time for the short period that I was at the conference. All the participants in my presentation on Photographing the Midwest Landscape were egaging and a tribute to the large format arena. Good image making to all!

Thanks.

Joe Kayne
www.josephkaynephoto.com

Mary Yates
13-Jun-2006, 08:29
To those of you who don't like Louisville - You obviously haven't been here in awhile. Louisville rocks! We've got a wealth of artists, musicians and other cultural fascinations. Ok, so the humidity is bad in the summer - turn on your ac and have a Mint Julip!

Mark Carney
13-Jun-2006, 08:49
What Mary Says!
1 Hour away from Louisville is the heart of the world's horse industry. Well worth a daytrip over. A bit over from that is the Red River Gorge, a fantastic place for a more rustic time. It's know the world over for it's climbing.

Besides, with my schedule, there is almost no way I could get to any other location.

Mark

Diane Maher
13-Jun-2006, 09:07
I had a blast while I was there. I got to meet and put faces to so many names including Kirk Giddings, Michael Mutmansky, Keith Canham, Tom Westbrook, Jim Andracki, Kerry Thalmann (only at a distance, I didn't actually get to speak to you), and many others. I took both the wet plate and the portraiture/figure workshops and got to meet some new people. I even managed to run into some LF shooters from St. Louis, one of whom works in the building across the street from where I do! The other one shoots 12x20.

It was delightful to be around so many people who shoot LF and the trade show was like a candy shop (okay, an expensive candy shop :) ), but well worth the trip to see everything in person. You can only get so much from an image on a computer screen. I thought the trip to Rockford was well worth it.

schvetybetty
13-Jun-2006, 09:29
Louisville's Fine Art scene is getting tastier and tastier by the minute. There is amazing cuisine (yes, I said cuisine) by local talent, music to suit everyone. Downtown suprises me every time I'm there because there are people walking around everywhere shopping, eating, touristing, you name it. 20 minutes in any direction and you can be in the woods, you can see rolling hills of farmland. You can drive a little while to Bourbon County and sample the goods. I moved here in 1994 from LA, and although I'm originally from the South (Charlotte), Louisville's version of South is weird. And I mean that in the most complimentary way. It's so weird that I stayed. I don't usually stick around anywhere for long, but this place keeps me interested. It's not too big, not too small. I love it here, and the View Camera Conference-goers will find plenty to love, too.

John Flavell
13-Jun-2006, 09:40
Louisville is a great place for a conference. The National Press Photographers Association has held several seminars there. Great food. The best BOURBON. Fine airport. The best hourse racing, if the seaon is on. Also, many great places to make pictures. If we have a conference there, I'm in.

jshanesy
13-Jun-2006, 10:18
The best BOURBON. Fine airport. The best hourse racing, if the seaon is on.

I'll take Belmont or Saratoga over any track in Kentucky.

But you're definitely right about the bourbon, and the best ones aren't available outside the state. (Having said that, I should also state that they're also not available for more than about a week after being released every year. They get bought up the instant the bottles hit the shelves. But I'm sure Paul will be willing to pull the cork on some of his small batch bourbon collection as a further inducement to a Bluegrass Large Format Conference.)

steve simmons
13-Jun-2006, 10:28
As is probably known I was not able to attend my own party. I had a retina repair on my left eye the Friday before the conferecne and I was told not to get on an airplane. The worst part about missing the party was that my frriend Susan Goldman, who is a food photogrpaher and spoke Friday evening. told me I missed the most amazing game of volleyball on horseback Thursday evening :)

I do want to thank Andrea Miles, my office manager, for doing such a great job. I talked her into going three weeks before the conference because I wanted her help and then 5 days before we would have left I had to cancel. I have to admit that she looked at me a little askance when I told her I couild not go. Ted Harris also took over in my absence as did Michale Mutmansky, Kirk Gittings, Kerry Thalmann and many more I am sure and we all owe them a big thanks. 95& of what I've heard was complimentary and they should get the credit.

steve simmons

Kerry L. Thalmann
13-Jun-2006, 11:47
My vote is for Louisville in 2007 for three reasons.

#1 You don't go to a View Camera Conference to make wonderful images, sorry Pacific Northwest. You go to the View Camera Conference to learn, meet others who enjoy looking at upside down images under a darkcloth at F 8 or smaller and immerse yourself in photography for three days and nights.

Steve,

I respectively disagree, to a degree. Yes, the focus of the conference is the learning and networking, but with the limited amount of traveling I get to do every year, I would welcome a location that would allow me the opportunity to photograph subjects that interest me before and after the conference. If such opportunities existed, I would arrive early and/or stay after the conference. In short, it would give me added incentive to attend the conference.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the last two conferences in Springfield and Rockford, for exactly the reasons you mentioned, and would not have considered missing them. However, I knew in advance that there would be nothing that appealed to me photographically and didn't even bother to bring a single sheet of film. Don't get me worng, I'm sure others found plenty to photograph at those locations, they just lacked the subject matter that appeals to me (grand landscapes).

By comparison, I used to be a NANPA member (North American Nature Photographers Association). For the first several years of my membership they always held their annual summit conference during the month of January in locations that provided plenty of photo opportunities for those who liked to photography migratory waterfowl, but offered little to appeal to other types of nature photographers. So, I never bothered to spend the time and money to attend the conference - until they held it in Las Vegas. Nothing in Vegas appealed to me, but the location offered me the opportunity to spend time photographing in Southern Utah before and after the conference. Had the conference been held yet again in South Florida or San Diego, I would not have bothered to attend.

I wonder if there are members of our community who have avoided attending one of the large format conferences for similar reasons. And, if they never attend a conference, for whatever reason, they'll never know what they are missing.

I'll make my sales pitch for Portland in another response, and I have nothing against Louisville (took my kids their three years ago on our family summer vacation). However, my concern is if the 2007 conference is held in Louisville, it will be three years in a row that the conference location is east of the Mississippi. Travel distance and cost are always the major reasons people give for not attending these types of events. I'm concerned that many western LF photographers will start to feel excluded and will miss the conference for the third year in a row due to the travel distance and cost.

Kerry

Kirk Gittings
13-Jun-2006, 12:06
kerry,

I understand your points. Were it not for the specific request by people in Louisville that next years conference in particular be held there, I would have liked to have seen it in the west somewhere (except Santa Fe, I can go there anytime). There are particular things going on in Louisville next summer that will make them active partners with us in bringing the conference off on a broader scale than we have been able to do before.

I think this is a unique opportunity to do a conference that is really special.

Shawn Dougherty
13-Jun-2006, 12:52
If it's held in Louisville, I'll show.

Christopher Perez
13-Jun-2006, 13:28
What Kerry says rings true for me as well.

Years ago my father asked me "Is there any life east of the Rockies?"

I guess I have to tell him there must be. A bunch of LF photographers seem to meet east of the Mississippi on a yearly basis. :) :) :)

Don't get me wrong. I realize there are some seriously great places east of I5 (the interstate that runs from San Diego, California to Vancouver, BC). In fact, I have visited some of them. Neat stuff back there. Sometime I'll have to return for a visit.

As a counterpoint, I recently read where Portland has the most photographers per capita of any city in the nation. Some of these photographers are serious nutters about their art. Makes me wonder how much Pt/Pd material Bostwick and S. sell to the Portland area compared to the rest of the nation.

We have John Wimberly, Ray Bidegain, Patrick Kolb, and y'all know Kerry Thalmann. We span the distance from Azo to Pt/Pd with everything in between. I mean this quite literally.

The one thing I love about Portland over any other city in the nation is that art is so accessible here. If you compare Portland against Seattle or the Bay Area or New York or Miami, there's really no competition. Access to art is far from stuffy or reserved for just those with money (even considering the many times high price of admission).

Want to talk with working photographers who make their living at art? Got it.

Want working steam locomotives to photograph? Got it.

Want urban settings without all the usual inner city crud and filth? Got it.

Want a walk in a quiet forested park right in the city? Got it.

Want waterfalls in a secluded but still reachable area? Got it.

Want the finest microbrew this side of England? Got it.

Want the finest wines this side of France? Got it.

Want rock formations just off shore at the beach? Got it.

Want the Grand Landscape. Well, we have some of that too.

I'm sure Steve will accept certain ahead of the fact tokens of appreciation without running the risks that the Olympic Commitee has come across. :)

... I have nothing against Louisville (took my kids their three years ago on our family summer vacation). However, my concern is if the 2007 conference is held in Louisville, it will be three years in a row that the conference location is east of the Mississippi...

Kerry L. Thalmann
13-Jun-2006, 14:31
I think this is a unique opportunity to do a conference that is really special.

Kirk,

I'm not lobbying against Louisville. It certainly seems like the planets are aligning favorably for Louisville to host the conference in 2007. I just want to see the conference be as successful as possible. To me, that means maximize attendance, maximize vendor participation and maximize value for those attending. Obviously, a strong case can be (and has been) made for Lousiville.

As I mentioned in my other post, if the 2007 conference is held in Lousiville, it will be three years in a row that the conference location lies east of the Missisippi River. It seems ironic that just a couple years ago people were complaining that the conference locations were too far away to allow those from the east and midwest to attend. It seems the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction. Now, I am afraid western photographers and vendors will feel ignored and neglected and write the conference off as yet another "eastern event" (like PhotoPlus Expo in NY) and lose interest.

Everyone (I think) knows about Portland's great surrounding scenery (mountains, coast, gorge, etc.). In addition, Portland has abundant award winning arhitecture and public parks and gardens (The Japanese Garden is widely considered the best, most authentic Japanese garden outside of Japan, Forest Park is the largest natural urban forest reserve in the US, the International Rose Test Garden is the oldest public rose garden in the US, the Classical Chinese Garden, etc.). All of these locations offer abundant opportunities for pre/post conference workshops and just give people a chance to go out and do some photography while they are visiting the area.

What hasn't been discussed is Portland's long tradition of supporting photography and the facilities available. Robert mentioned the Portland Photographers Forum - a very active local group. The Portland area has a long legacy of producing top notch photographers, especially large format photographers (Ray Atkeson, Christopher Burkett, Steve Terrill, Stu Levy, etc.). Several local colleges and universities (Oregon College of Art and Craft, Portland State University, Mt. Hood Community College, Portland Community College, Marylhust University, etc.) have active photography programs. The Photographic Image Gallery is the oldest gallery in the NW dedicated solely to photography, and there are several other galleries in town that also frequently/regularly exhibit photography.

In terms of facilities, Portland is big enough to meet all of Steve's requirements - in spades. In addition to the facilities of the institutions listed above, Portland has at least two rental darkrooms (U-Develop and Newspace). Newspace also has a gallery and a rental studio. Between all the local schools, these commercial facilities and local pro labs and photo dealers, Portland could easily support any type of photo workshop needs imaginable. Conference facilities and hotel rooms are abundant and affordable - both in town and in the surrounding suburbs. Portland has a major international airport and an excellent public transportation system.

And finally, the one thing people have mentioned lacking at the Rockford conference - portfolio reviews. In April 2007, Portland will once again host the Photolucida Conference (formerly Photo Americas). The heart and soul of this conference is an extensive program of personal face-to-face portfolio reviews. These aren't just other photographers reviewing your work and giving you helpful tips (nothing wrong with that), but people who can actually make a difference in your career as a photographer. The list of 2005 Photolucida reviewers reads like a who's who of gallery owners, museum curators and magazine/book publishers. The list for 2007 has not been released, but the list of past reviewers (including over 70 reviewers in both 2005 and 2003) can be seen here (http://www.photolucida.org/crit_reviewers_archive.aspx). I know of no other venue that offers anything close to this opportunity to get your work seen by those whio actually buy/sell photography. It is a very unique opportunity. If the large format conference could coincide with Photolucida it could really be a special event for members of the large format community.

I personally plan to attend the conference no matter where its held. Should Portland not be chosen to host the conference in 2007, I nominate it as a possible location for 2008 (or maybe 2009 - should there be another Photolucida Conference in 2009).

Kerry

John Jarosz
13-Jun-2006, 15:32
Jet Lowe's presentation was very engaging and interesting. That guy has had an exciting career considering the organization he works for. Just the name of it exudes dust settling. But his activities are far, far from that. What a life, and he was able to convey the excitement during his talk. He was fantastic.

I've been flip-flopping on the issue of a location for next year. I can see the different perspectives from all the comments thus far. Steve will probably regret asking for an "unscientific poll". I'm glad I don't have to put forward the decision.

The conference was really good, informative, and helpful. Kerry's presentation on making/modifying cameras was first rate.

As far as portfolio evaluations, I have a slightly different twist. I'd like see round-table talks/critiques by all the participants with their images out on the table. These should be divided up by subject matter/area of interest/unique processes. I'd love to see all the prints that participants bring in platinum and carbon (which is my primary interest).

Great conference, thanks to all that worked to bring it off.

john jarosz

schvetybetty
13-Jun-2006, 16:28
I just have to add that Louisville gots all that, save the beach, not sure about the locomotives, though.

Keith S. Walklet
13-Jun-2006, 17:09
While I voted for Portland, I'll bump all that Kerry said, especially the bit about Vegas. I sat in on an early NAMPA meeting where Vegas was shot down as a potential conference site because of what "it" (Vegas) represented. If it is possible to swing the economics, it has the flights, the facilities, and the central location to some of the most spectacular landscape in the southwest. Some of us talked about this in Chicago. National Parks were also floated as locations for the same reasons. As a photographer and vendor, it is much value added if I can tack field time onto any major travel. Aside from the benefits of concurrent events, is the time of year open to discussion?

Eric Biggerstaff
13-Jun-2006, 17:59
Even though I think next year we are looking at Louisville, KY ( which is fine, I am a former resident of Lexington and will tell you that area has A LOT to offer), I still have to put my plug in for Denver.

Here is my list of reasons:

Central location

Air fare is getting cheaper all the time ( Frontier and Southwest )

Great photographic community in Colorado ( several well known LF'rs in the state)

Great architecture in Downtown ( modern and old )

Great field locations ( to name a few):

Great Sand Dunes ( 2.5 to 3 horus)
Rocky Mountain National Part ( 2 hours)
Mt. Evans ( 1 hour)
Eldorado Canyon ( 1 hour)
Garden of the Gods ( 1.5 hours)
Boulder Canyon / Boulder ( 1 hour)
Old Mining Towns ( everywhere)
Aspen/ Independence Pass ( 4 hours)

Great places to eat all over downtown and a great nightlife

More Microbrewies than Portland ( if I remember correctly)

Sporting events at that time of year - Colorado Rockies in Downtown

Many great hotels to host the event in a Downtown area that is safe for the size city

Friendly folks

Nice galleries

AND.......................

I don't have to fly! :-)

Well, anyway, I needed to at least try!

Thanks,

Eric

Eric Biggerstaff
13-Jun-2006, 18:19
Oh , almost forgot:

Easy drive from New Mexico, Wyoming, Utah, Kansas, Nebraska ( there may be a few LF'rs there), Montana, North Texas, Oklahoma, etc.

And.................

Really good weather ( over 340 sunny days per year).

And..........

Well, I think that about does it, hopefully some of my Colorado counterparts will chime in!

Maybe we locals will form an action committe and get out the vote for the 2008 conference!

Eric

C.J. Pressma
13-Jun-2006, 19:56
Louisville is a great city with over 40 art galleries, a new contemporary hotel called 21C built around a contemporary art collection, some of the best dining in the country, and of course, the University of Louisville Photographic Archives that includes the Standard Oil Collection. The State of Kentucky enjoys some of the most beautiful landscapes east of the Rockies. Come enjoy Louisville.

jackies
13-Jun-2006, 20:59
Just wanted to share that I found the conference was great. It was my first but not my last.

Every lecture I went to was very well organized and informative. Would have liked some handouts - but then I took notes. Learned alot.

Would appreciate a time set aside for networking ie groups divided into regions ie NE, SE, SW, NW, MidWest. It was difficult to connect with others as I was totally new and didn't know a soul there.

So, thanks for a job well done. Hope your eye is healing quickly Steve. I know that you were missed but your sidekicks did a FABULOUS job filling in for you. You all deserve a standing ovation for your efforts.

Jackie

Ralph Barker
14-Jun-2006, 05:49
Eric - you can use a Mastercard for all that other stuff, but not having to fly is priceless. ;)

Eric Biggerstaff
14-Jun-2006, 08:23
True Ralph, very true! :)

Peter Collins
14-Jun-2006, 09:00
Steve,

Thank you for soliciting opinion on the conference location. I offer a comment regarding Denver. I suggest you do it OUTSIDE Denver, much as you did for Rockford, for the reasons you offered re: Rockford: cost/cost to participants. Too, Denver is now a smoggy destination, not the city with the pretty, and the view of the mtns, that it was in the '60s, which is my touchstone for what the Front Range was.

Thank you,

Peter Collins

steve simmons
14-Jun-2006, 09:08
How about Ft. Collins or Colorado Springs?

In the future how about Yosemite (I do not know if they have the facilities and how far ahead we would have to book with them but I am checking.

steve

Kerry L. Thalmann
14-Jun-2006, 09:20
In the future how about Yosemite (I do not know if they have the facilities and how far ahead we would have to book with them but I am checking.

Steve,

I'd do Yosemite in a heartbeat. Not sure on the facilities. I've never gone there with a group of more than ten people and we just reserved a few adjoining campsites. Keith Walklet, who had a booth at the Rockford tradeshow might be able to help point you in the right direction. He no longer lives in Yosemite, but did for several years and has contacts there. Rich Selig of West Coast Imaging, who has also participated in past conferences, would also be a good source of information on the park and surrounding area. If not in the park, there are conference facilites near the park, such as the Tenaya Lodge in Fish Camp.

If you do hold a future conference in Yosemite, I suggest sometime in May before the Memorial Day weekend. The weather is usually great that time of year and the place gest REAL crowded during/after Memorial Day.

Of course, I'm still pulling for Portland, but would love a conference in Yosemite as well.

Kerry

Michael Mutmansky
14-Jun-2006, 09:23
Steve,

I'm not a fan of Colorado Springs for various reasons, but Ft. Collins would probably be a good location. If I remember correctly, Longmont just built a new convention center, and is closer to Metro Denver and Boulder than Ft. Collins. It's a smaller town and less prone to big traffic problems as well.

Think about possibly Georgetown, Idaho Springs, Silverthorn or the smaller nearby ski towns in the mountains as possibilities as well. Silverthorn is about 1.75 hour or so from DIA so relatively accessible, and it's IN the mountains, rather than looking onto them as the front range cities are. Some of those towns should be big enough to have appropriate facilities and if the timing is right, may be a good value as well.

Colorado would be a nice place to have a conference, but I see the merit to the other places proposed as well. I think it will be a tough decision.

I've always said that a conference like this needs to be in a place the paople WANT to go. Just give them a reason to hop on a plane to a great location, and they'll be there. But it also has to accessible to local people and to the vendors. I think Santa Fe is a great place for that reason, and Yosemite may be as well, with some additional effort. There aren't any industrial places in Yosemite, though...

---Michael

Scott Davis
14-Jun-2006, 09:44
If you're talking about being in the mountains, why not aim for someplace like Tahoe, or Reno, or even Mammoth, Ca? There's enough hotel rooms in Mammoth that there should be at least one lodge with conference capacity.

Michael Mutmansky
14-Jun-2006, 09:52
If you're talking about being in the mountains, why not aim for someplace like Tahoe, or Reno, or even Mammoth, Ca? There's enough hotel rooms in Mammoth that there should be at least one lodge with conference capacity.

No good. Mammoth is going to be blown off the face of the planet any day now.

---Michael

Keith S. Walklet
14-Jun-2006, 10:31
There are conference facilities in Yosemite (Curry Village), though the conference season in the park only runs from November to March, which is one reason I asked about seasonality. The other is that I was wondering about an autumn conference. Just a thought.

When I was in PR in Yosemite, we were collaborating with GAPW to put on a large workshop, and had concluded that the first week in March of 97 provided a good window of opportunity (widlflowers in the canyon, and either waterfalls or winter light in Yosemite Valley). Unfortunately the flood of 97 put the kaybash on that.

As Kerry mentioned, the Tenaya Lodge conference center just outside the south entrance is an option, and then there is Yosemite View in El Portal. I've not toured the Yosemite View meeting rooms in some time, but know there are more than enough hotel rooms.

The company I used to work for in Yosemite (DNC) runs hotels just outside the Grand Canyon and in West Yellowstone as well, and their competitor (Xanterra), that runs everything in Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon is operated by a bunch of former Yosemite folks. Each of those places means driving as well as flying, but I'd be in car anyway to maximize my movements before and after the conference. I'd be happy to put you in touch with the sales/caterning folks at each destination. I have no idea of what deposits/deadlines are like.

And if Mammoth did blow during the conference Mike, just think, we'd all be there to get it on film. ;-)

Sal Santamaura
14-Jun-2006, 10:37
How about Ft. Collins or Colorado Springs?A vote for Estes Park. Lots of conference facilities and, by the time you schedule one there, I might have retired and moved to town! Substantial basement darkroom and workroom are in the construction drawings.

David Karp
14-Jun-2006, 11:47
I seem to recall being in Yosemite when there was a group using some of the facilities near Yosemite Lodge. That might be a possibility. However, once in the valley, it is easy to get from the Lodge, Ahwannee (Sp?) Hotel, or a campsite, to the facilities at Curry Village. I try to get to Yosemite every year. I would do everything I could to get to a conference there. If it was between semesters at school, I would even love to do it in the winter time. Winter in the valley is beautiful, and there are no crowds. Only problem is, access to other parts of the park is limited or not available in winter time. (But there is skiing at Badger Pass.)

Charles Hohenstein
14-Jun-2006, 12:30
How about Ft. Collins or Colorado Springs?

steve

What do they have in Colorado but a lot of unnecessary mountains that need leveling? Stick to the midwest! It's a central location for everyone, and we have amber waves of grain and corn-fed women to photograph. Haven't there been enough pictures of mountains anyway?

Capocheny
14-Jun-2006, 13:16
Steve,

Alternatives to the other locations mentioned... how about Vancouver, British Columbia in Canada? :)

Think outside the box and come on up for a visit.

There's great facilities here (very nice convention center, hotels, transportation,) the environment is clean and beautiful... and the food and wine is first rate as well!

Plus... the American dollar goes further up here! :)

Sooooooo, how did the conference go?

Cheers

Sal Santamaura
14-Jun-2006, 14:27
Plus... the American dollar goes further up here! :)For how long? :)

Hugo Zhang
14-Jun-2006, 14:29
Second to David. White Yosemite in winter!

Christopher Perez
14-Jun-2006, 14:39
Thinking outside the box, as it were: Victoria, BC could be fun too. Though Vancouver isn't a 1/2 bad idea either. But how to get all those 'merikans into another country? They'll need their passports. :)

I think Portland Oregon would still be a great place to hold the conference next year. I don't care how many votes Louisville gets.

I checked with United to see how I could fly to Louisville, KY. Guess what? They want me to take a 2.5 hour puddle-jumper prop-plane flight from Chicago to KY. This, on top of a 4.5 hour flight earlier in the day. Is Louisville that remote? According to United Airlines it is. :(

At this point (not considering future prices of energy) roundtrip airfare would set me back $500. That's nearly what it would cost to fly to Europe.

...Alternatives to the other locations mentioned... how about Vancouver, British Columbia in Canada? :)

Think outside the box and come on up for a visit.

There's great facilities here (very nice convention center, hotels, transportation,) the environment is clean and beautiful... and the food and wine is first rate as well!

Plus... the American dollar goes further up here! :)

Kerry L. Thalmann
14-Jun-2006, 15:00
Vancouver, BC is a beautiful city and would make a great location for a future conference - except for the hassles involved with customs and border crossings. All US citizens will be required to have a passport to get back across the border. It's not a major hassle getting a passport, but not everyone has one. So, it's just one more barrier that could limit attedance. Also, getting all that large format gear through customs twice can be a hassle - especially for the trade show vendors, some who probably have more than $100,000 worth of gear in their possession on the way to/from the conference.

So, let's compromise... Vancouver, WA anyone?

Kerry

P.S. For those who don't know, Vancouver, WA is just across the river from Portland, OR - making it bascially a suburb of Portland.

Kerry L. Thalmann
14-Jun-2006, 15:34
I think Portland Oregon would still be a great place to hold the conference next year. I don't care how many votes Louisville gets.

I checked with United to see how I could fly to Louisville, KY. Guess what? They want me to take a 2.5 hour puddle-jumper prop-plane flight from Chicago to KY. This, on top of a 4.5 hour flight earlier in the day. Is Louisville that remote? According to United Airlines it is. :(

Chris,

Yes, getting to Lousiville will be a pain for anyone west of the Rockies. There are no direct flights and plane changes and extended layovers will be the norm.

I think the reason Louisville is getting so many votes is not so much what it is as where it is. Louisville is located within a reasonable driving distance of several large cities. It's only a five hour drive from Chicago, and of course, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Columbus, St. Louis, and Nashville are even closer. Expand the driving time to 7 hours and you can also include Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Atlanta, Memphis, etc. Remember the states are a lot smaller back there and the cities bigger, more numerous and closer together.

Pretty much any place east of the Mississippi is going to be within driving distance of a substantial portion of our nation's population. That gives any eastern/midwestern location an advantage in this type of informal poll. Throw in the fact the the "western vote" is divided between three locations (Portland, Denver and Albuquerque/Santa Fe) and the results aren't surprising. Basically, almost everyone East of the Mississippi is voting for Louisville and the western vote is split three ways. Makes you wonder how Portland would do in a head-to-head vote with Lousiville.

Again, I'm not against a conference in Louisville, just concerned that the travel distances and costs will exclude many/most western large format photographers for the third year in a row.

Kerry

Scott Rosenberg
14-Jun-2006, 15:48
Again, I'm not against a conference in Louisville, just concerned that the travel distances and costs will exclude many/most western large format photographers for the third year in a row.

Kerry

interesting idea, kerry. steve, why not take the top east coast city and the top west coast city and do a run off?

Tom Westbrook
14-Jun-2006, 16:05
If one thinks back, the location of the conference was heavily skewed toward the west for years. Wasn't last year's in Springfield the first ever held east of the Pecos? I think Steve should institute some sort of regional round-robin so everyone gets a fighting chance to attend.

steve simmons
14-Jun-2006, 16:34
OK, some thoughts.

I do not foresee doing the conference in Canada. Too many of the exhibitors are US distributors who don't/can't do business in Canada and it would also be difficult to get their materials and products across the border.

Kerry has a legitimate concern about 3 years in a row east of the Mississippi.

It won't be in Denver proper. Too expensive in a major metro area. Colorado within an hour or two drive from Denver is being considered.

We are talking with people in Yoseimte. If not for 07 then soon after.

I appreciate the input and interest. We are listening.

steve simmons

Capocheny
14-Jun-2006, 17:01
Sal,

Fair question! :)

Kerry,

Yes, I understand... but I thought I'd throw it out anyway. You know what they say, "If you don't ask... you don't receive!"

FWIW, I agree with you. Vancouver, WA would also be a great choice. I'm all for it! Lots of natural beauty down in your part of the world... and a stone's throw away from Vancouver, BC for all those who would enjoy doing some photography in our neck of the woods. And, fine dining, fine food, fine hotels... great times!

[I'm vying for the Tourism Minister's job!!! HA! :)]

Steve,

Ok, ok... Vancouver, WA it is then! :) If it WERE held out west... I'd sign up right away. I've never attended one these conferences but would sure like to!

Sooooooo.... how did the conference go? :)

Cheers

Kerry L. Thalmann
14-Jun-2006, 17:08
One more reason to hold the conference in Oregon... NO SALES TAX!

Think of all the money you'll save on that $6000 12x20 Canham and $5500 550mm Fine Art XXL lens you purchase at the trade show.

Kerry

Kerry L. Thalmann
14-Jun-2006, 17:21
While I've been lobbying hard for Portland, I am a bit unique in that I'll attend the conference no matter where it's held. To be honest, last year when I heard the conference was going to be in Springfield, MA I dreaded the long travel times to/from Portland. However, I had such a great time at the conference that it was well worth it and convinced me that no matter where the conference is held, it's a worthwhile event.

The most encouraging thing about this thread is the number of people participating and lobbying for their favorite location. That shows that there is tremendous interest in future conferences and people are passionate about having a conference near them. This bodes well for the future of this event.

And Steve, if you ever do decide to hold the conference in the Potland area, I'd be happy to help out in any way I can. There's a ton of conference facilities in Portland and the surrounding suburbs, as well as at Mt. Hood, the Oregon Coast and in the Columbia Gorge - lots to choose from in terms of facilities, location and price range.

Kerry

steve simmons
14-Jun-2006, 20:45
Kerry

As I have aid bedore I like Portalnd and yes I will make use of you if I ever pick Portland.

You have been a great friend to View Camera and I appreciate all of your efforts in our behalf.

steve

Capocheny
14-Jun-2006, 20:48
Well, since Vancouver, BC, Canada is out of the running... I'll back Kerry T and Christopher P in their suggestions of Vancouver, WA or Portland, Oregon!

As Kerry said, "There's no sales tax!!!" Just think... how often can you buy a 550mm Fine Art XXL lens without a sales tax? I'm sure you didn't buy one at the conference this year because of the additional dollars needed to fund that darn sales tax! Yup, I can see all of you nodding your heads! :)

So, Steve, think of how happy the distributors of this fine piece of glass will be with The View Camera Conference when people start buying it because there's NO SALES TAX on it. :) YOU can make it happen by holding the conference in Vancouver, WA or Portland, Oregon next year!

Lastly, as the old saying goes... "Go WEST, young man, go WEST! :)"

Cheers

Kerry L. Thalmann
14-Jun-2006, 21:06
So, Steve, think of how happy the distributors of this fine piece of glass will be with The View Camera Conference when people start buying it because there's NO SALES TAX on it. :) YOU can make it happen by holding the conference in Vancouver, WA or Portland, Oregon next year!

Actually, Washington does have a state-wide sales tax of 6.5%. Plus many cities, including Vancouver, tack on an additional local sales tax. In Vancouver's case, this is an additional 1.6% for a total sales tax of 8.1%. Of course, Washington has no state income tax, compared to Orgon's very high 9% for anything about $10,000 (graduated scale for the first $10,000 of annual income). That's why, tax wise, it's cheaper to live in Washington, but cheaper to shop in (or visit) Oregon. In Oregon, the residents bear the tax burden, in Washington, out-of-staters pitch in to help.

So, you'd save $445.50 in sales tax on that $5500 lens if you bought it in Oregon compared to Washington - a rather substantial savings.

Kerry

Capocheny
14-Jun-2006, 21:46
Kerry,

Thanks for the correction. I should have read your posting a little bit closer than I did. The "NO SALES TAX" got me all excited! :)

So, I guess we'd better push for Oregon then! :)

Cheers

Jon Shiu
14-Jun-2006, 22:45
Yosemite would be an inspiring place to have a photography conference, preferrably in the off season. I wouldn't want to go to a big city for a conference/vacation.

Jon Shiu
Elk, CA (population 200)

John Flavell
15-Jun-2006, 05:36
What are the estimated dates for this conference? If it's in Louisvile, I can go, but I'd have to start planning asap. The nature of the job.

robert
15-Jun-2006, 06:44
Louisville would be awesome. Great place for the conference

Paul Paletti
15-Jun-2006, 08:03
Here's a little more information about air travel to Louisville. You may find that Southwest is one of the best bets, and the travel sites on the web generally don't include it. You have to go to their website. The fares are usually very good.
And as for the 2 1/2 hour flight on United from Chicago someone mentioned, the data is wrong. Louisville is a one hour direct flight from Chicago, with lots of flights on various airlines every day. One confusing point may be that Louisville is on Eastern time, and Chicago is in the Central time zone- 1 hour difference.
And as for sales tax, most of the dealers will be happy to ship things to you, and if you are in a different state from theirs, the aren't obligated to collect sales tax. As a practical matter, I was not charged sales tax on any of my purchases in Rockford.

Paul Paletti
15-Jun-2006, 08:35
One more thing about Louisville-- Kerry was right when he mentioned our accessability by car. We are within a one day drive of half of the population of the US. That is a real plus if you're hauling big cameras and film.
Please understand that I have nothing against Portland, and I would love for the conference to be there in 2008-- and I will certainly go to it. But Louisville will have a number of big photographic events going on in June-July 2007, and I think you will all enjoy the these photography shows (154 masterpieces from the George Eastman House, and most of the art galleries featuring photography during the photo biennial), in addition to Louisville's famous hospitality, food, bourbon, horses, landscape, and very reasonable prices.

Christopher Perez
15-Jun-2006, 09:24
I have nothing against Louisville. I would travel there if my schedule allowed. I'm sure it's everything you write and perhaps more.

From what Kerry has written, it sounds like a great event, regardless of where it's held.

If Steve follows your suggestion, Paul, then that will be four years in a row that his conference will be held back east. And I don't count New Mexico as exactly "west" either. It's more like mid-states to me. Not a big deal. It's Steve's show to run as he see's fit.

I'm amazed at the amount of passion and interest in hosting Steve's event. LF appears to be alive and well in the US.

Besides, I'm not sure I want all you fine upstanding folks discovering the sweet goodness we have out here in Portland, OR. Organic microbrews, boatloads of working photographers, a very progressive social environment, great facilities, clean friendly city sitting on two beautiful rivers, good access to photographic materials (finished and unfinished), or great settings for practicing one's own art. :)

One more thing about Louisville-- Kerry was right when he mentioned our accessability by car. We are within a one day drive of half of the population of the US. That is a real plus if you're hauling big cameras and film.
Please understand that I have nothing against Portland, and I would love for the conference to be there in 2008-- and I will certainly go to it. But Louisville will have a number of big photographic events going on in June-July 2007, and I think you will all enjoy the these photography shows (154 masterpieces from the George Eastman House, and most of the art galleries featuring photography during the photo biennial), in addition to Louisville's famous hospitality, food, bourbon, horses, landscape, and very reasonable prices.

Kerry L. Thalmann
15-Jun-2006, 09:40
If Steve follows your suggestion, Paul, then that will be four years in a row that his conference will be held back east.

Correction: If the 2007 conference is held in Louisville, it will be three years in a row east of the Mississippi. The 2004 conference was in Monterey, CA.

Kerry

Christopher Perez
15-Jun-2006, 09:45
As Homer would say: DOH! :)

My bad.

Correction: If the 2007 conference is held in Louisville, it will be three years in a row east of the Mississippi. The 2004 conference was in Monterey, CA.

Kerry

steve simmons
16-Jun-2006, 13:57
As a maybe, a BIG maybe and not necessarily for 07

Yosemite.

It would have to be in March or April to keep the room rates down.

steve simmons

Mike Lopez
16-Jun-2006, 16:57
What's the projected population increase of Portland if/when a conference is held here?

Paul Paletti
17-Jun-2006, 09:45
What's the projected population increase of Portland if/when a conference is held here?
Regardless of where the next Conference is held, let's ALL commit to attending. The paid attendance at Rockford was about 150. The more people we attract, the better and bigger the conference can be.
By contrast, an international ceramics arts conference being held this year in Louisville (which was held in Portland last year) is expected to bring in 6000 people.
We really need to get out there and push our friends and colleagues to attend. And I'm going out right now to visit a group of photographers who congregate on Saturday morning at a great local used camera store to do just that.

Mike Lopez
17-Jun-2006, 13:39
Regardless of where the next Conference is held, let's ALL commit to attending. The paid attendance at Rockford was about 150. The more people we attract, the better and bigger the conference can be.
By contrast, an international ceramics arts conference being held this year in Louisville (which was held in Portland last year) is expected to bring in 6000 people.
We really need to get out there and push our friends and colleagues to attend. And I'm going out right now to visit a group of photographers who congregate on Saturday morning at a great local used camera store to do just that.

Hi Paul,

My question was more or less tongue-in-cheek. There was another thread on here about Portland recently, and it was pointed out that more and more people are moving here, etc., so I was pointing out that having a convention here is another way to advertise relocations to Oregon.

Thanks for all the info you are sharing about Louisville. I've "cut the corner" of Kentucky on a road trip before, but I've never been to Louisville. Sounds nice.

Mike