PDA

View Full Version : Stock Photography Web Portal

Kirk Gittings
23-Jan-2006, 10:22
There is a new stock photography web portal, with a ton of good information. And I am the first featured photographer!

STOCK PHOTOGRAPHER.INFO

www.stockphotographer.info/ (http://www.stockphotographer.info/)

Christopher Perez
23-Jan-2006, 10:55
Kirk, v.nice! Many congrats. Dude. :-)

Kirk Gittings
23-Jan-2006, 11:00
The dude abides...

Joe Forks
23-Jan-2006, 13:25
Hard earned, and well deserved... congrats!

Best
Joe

Ed K.
23-Jan-2006, 15:32
Congrats Kirk! You're web site is also great - so many years of solid work.

John Berry ( Roadkill )
23-Jan-2006, 16:12
Very nice to be chosen from a long list of those that would qualify. Congrats.

Kirk Gittings
23-Jan-2006, 17:05
Thanks all for the kind words.

If you sell stock though pay atention to the site. I think it holds alot of promise as a large scale stock directory.

Ralph Barker
23-Jan-2006, 17:29
Wow, we have a celebrated stocker in our midst! ;-)

Congratulations on the recognition, Kirk, and thanks for bringing the new stock site to our attention.

QT Luong
23-Jan-2006, 19:23
Just curious, why did they choose you as their first featured photographer, Kirk ? I thought you were primarily a
commercial (assignment) and fine art photographer. Correct me if I am wrong, but with the type of photography that you do, I couldn't see you making a living if you were relying only on stock, whereas there are quite a few others who rely on such a business model.

Kirk Gittings
23-Jan-2006, 19:49
QT,

I make a substantial part of my income from stock sales, primarily to magazines of architecture images. This month for instance I sold 18 images, one for a website, 4 for ads, and thirteen for editorial (8 national, 5 regional). That is pretty much an average month. It is not enough to live on, but it helps. It is all part of the mix.

As to why they chose me? You should ask them. I was pretty surprised myself, but I didn't ask why. I registered three days ago and they asked me yesterday. Clearly there are bigger stock shooters out there, but maybe with a new organization allot of the big stock shooters have not signed up yet. Typical of all pr in this business, I do know one of the staff people, and he knows what a high profile I have in some areas. Go figure. I don't look a gift horse...............

Jim Hunter
24-Jan-2006, 11:17
Awwww, come on Kirk, you can tell them the real reason you were chosen to be the first.

Kirk Gittings
24-Jan-2006, 18:39
Worried that people would think Jim's post implied some under-the-table-quid-pro-qou, I emailed him asking what he meant by that statement. He emailed me back saying:

"sorry if that did not sound quite right. I was simply trying to make a comment about the humility you showed in your replies. Maybe I should have just said something like "Awwww, come on Kirk, you're being too humble" to be more specific about it.

You have a consistent body of work that stretches back many years and everyone on the LFF knows that very well. I think everyone there also knows that tend to be very humble about your success which is a rather fine attribute. Actually, I had nothing what so ever to do with you being chosen as the first featured photographer. Theo [Tech Director] is the one that first suggested it and Frederic [Directory Manager] agreed with him. They asked if I thought you would be agreeable and I said I was sure you would be."

Anyway I think what these guys are doing has major potential and people should keep up with it. personally I am honored to be a be able to make a contribution to its startup.