PDA

View Full Version : "Photographers Notebook"

Richard Boulware
9-Jan-2006, 17:15
A couple of months ago I considered writing a series of post on my life and career as a professional photographer. After many weeks of consideration, and responses to some post, advice from others like the late John Cook and others, I have decided to not pursue this project on this board. Nothing against this LF board...quite the contrary. This is a very fine forum that answers many question from 'newbies' and answers other important questions. For "Q.T" and others....applause, applause.

My decision is based upon my observation about the attitude I see on this board. I see a lot of techno-speak, and little about the most important issue I feel is relevant to photographers.
That issue, is: "How to be a better photographer". It's about seeing. Or as Shelly said , "Strip the Veil of Familiarity from the Commonplace". It's about seeing with new eyes. .Not imitating someone else. Not an issue of technique, or adapter rings for some lens, or JoBo processors, or where the code notch on a piece of sheet film is supposed to be.

In some recent posts I asked a simple question, hoping for a simple as possible answer. The first post ripped my head off. Subsequent posts were polite and answered some of my questions. For those who did so....thank you. It is not that I have a thin skin. Quite the contrary. I have a very thick skin, and much of the ego BS runs right off my back. It is simply a question of where and how I spend my time. I asked a simple question.."What time is it. My answers were,..how dare you ask what time it is.....or this is how you build a clock"!

My great desire is to pass on information that I have learned, that I think might be of substantial value to those wanting to climb higher of the rungs of the ladder of professionalism, or artist/photographer...in exhibitions, or wherever. I have little time for "BS."

If your just a hobbyist and have no desire to be a better shooter. FINE! Go in peace and be well.
I have no problem with this concept. It's just not the people I hope to serve.

Photography has allowed me to go places, and do things that most people dream about. Some was luck, most was skill and experience. When I go....it goes with me. I'd like to leave some of that here with those who hunger...to want to be 'more'!

I have no time for weekend snap-shooters in LF who think there personal worth is their ego on internet postings. This is crap. I have not time for this. Serious professionals do not tolerate this kind of nonsense.

For those who yearn to grow, and be more.....I hope to be a resource for you. Why? Photography has been a blessing for me and I feel a moral obligation to 'pass-it-on'! When I go...as a senior citizen...my experience and knowledge goes with me. I'd like to leave some of what I know, behind with those you yearn to be more. I guess it makes me feel good about myself to do this. That's about as honest as I can be.

Presently I am assembling a group of folks as a resource for those who want to be 'more'!

Perhaps we will start a web site.

Right now, they are: one "Pulitzer Prize" wining photographer and some others who are outstanding in their field of advertising photography, industrial photography, and nature photography. Heavyweights all!

It isn't going to happen overnight, but the future hold great promise. I hope to assemble a group of professionals in all fields of photography, who's sole purpose is to provide answers and leadership to those who genuinely want to grow, and learn. Just for the pleasure of doing it. Those who desire a helping hand up the ladder of excellence!

To those ego-trip types that let reign their... "hummingbird minds, while their elephant fingertips type on their computer keyboards"....forget it. That's why God invented the 'delete' key.

Honest, earnest questions for guidance will be answered in kind.

For those interested please contact me directly at: www.boulwareden@msn.com.

Obviously....this is a labor of love,... for those who want to make better photographs.

Good shooting, good light, and a wish to each of you for clear, creative thinking. Push the envelope! Go for it! Good luck!

Blessings.

Richard Boulware - Denver.

Witold Grabiec
9-Jan-2006, 17:58
Richard,

Have you thought of starting a blog to get things going? I also hope that your crateria for choosing one over another for your close group of interested individuals will NOT end on his/hers professional success. I'm not sure how you intend to measure their suitability for your project, but a blog would give you a great chance to better explain your vision (no doubt quite correct, but not that the technical side of it isn't important) and gather more interest in what you wish accomplish.

Good luck and please let me know where I can find you on the net.

Ed Richards
9-Jan-2006, 18:00
Write a real book before you finish, and get it published, or publish it yourself, so it is available after these sites fade away.

Eric Biggerstaff
9-Jan-2006, 18:31
Richard,

I am sorry you won't be posting the "Photographers Notebook" on the site, but please continue to develop the idea and try to find a publisher ( perhaps ViewCamera, Photo Techniques, or one of the new publications).

Perhaps one of these days I can get a Dever area LF outing put together and we can all meet, it is nice to have faces with names sometimes. With the warm weather we are having there is no excuse not to!

I think we need to have more posts about the art of photography but we need people such as yourself ( and others I am sure) who are willing and able to write them.

Take care and thanks anyway.

Yours,
Eric

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

matthew blais
9-Jan-2006, 18:34
I totally understand your reluctance based on the change this forum seems to have taken...seems to be more about volatile responses-one upmanship if it were, and way too much digital speak for me. May as well be "Large format digital photo forum" these days.

I applaud your effort to initially make the offer, and QT's in starting this site, which was invaluable to me before I ventured into LF.

I check in more out of habit I think, and truly miss Mr. Cook's nostalgic musings, truly someone I wished I'd met.

Good luck with the endeavor Richard.

Bill_1856
9-Jan-2006, 19:21
"If you're just a hobbyist...." "I have no time for week-end snap shooters...." That pretty well describes me. Just what the heck do you think that I could learn from an egotistical, pontifical j**k like you? Writers write -- loudmouths talk about writing.

John_4185
9-Jan-2006, 19:24
bill Just what the heck do you think that I could learn from an egotistical, pontifical j**k like you?

Hook, line and sinker!

Bill_1856
9-Jan-2006, 19:33
Well, it takes one to know one.

John_4185
9-Jan-2006, 19:38
Well, it takes one to know one.

Peewee Herman? Is that you?

Jim collum
9-Jan-2006, 19:49
thanks Richard, it sounds like something that's needed. this forum had reached the abusivness of dpreview, so somthing that has a little more focus (and a lot more moderation) would be welcome.

Paul Kierstead
9-Jan-2006, 20:08
How about if you are a pro and no desire to be a better shooter? Is that OK? Is it OK to be have an oversized ego snap shooter, so long as I shoot on the weekdays?

I see some interesting possibilities. If I manage to -- say -- sell a postcard or two, work on the weekdays, I can act however I want and be in your club. Cool.

Paul Kierstead
9-Jan-2006, 20:10
I haven't got my letter of acceptence yet. Can get in? Please??? Pretty please? I so want in!!!

John Kasaian
9-Jan-2006, 20:14
Richard,

I for one will miss your participation here. You went well out of your way to help me on numerous occassions with my aerial photography projects and I always learned a great deal from you, not only the nuts and bolts stuff, but "seeing." I've always enjoyed your posts along with those of Merg Ross and the late John Cook. Those are among the things I'm very grateful for---not only for the great photographic advice, but also for the opportunity to interact with real gentlemen.

I'll eagerly look foreward to your book/forum/blog/ homepage or whatever route you decide to continue to impart your knowledge by.

Happy Trails!

Richard Boulware
9-Jan-2006, 20:56
John Kasaian: Heck John, I'm not leaving forever. I just decided not to waste my time with my life story of failures and successes in the world of a professional. To long and to complicated. I may stick my head in here now and then, if I really need some important, mind numbing information like what adapter ring to use for a series eight step up.

Besides, who would be left to irritate psychos like "Mr. Bill"!

Cheers!!!!!

Kirk Gittings
9-Jan-2006, 21:10
I was really taken in by your post at first, but the more I read the angrier I got. I really hesitated writing this but......what the heck, yours is the most pompous post that I have read here in years.

Your words are lofty words but........I find some of your complaints about the forum disingenuous since 90% of your own posts are purely about techno speak. In addition (in case you are not aware of it) you write with a very condescending tone about "weekend" shooters who you have decided are not as serious about real photography as your "serious professionals" and "heavyweights all". Please, listen to yourself. You get challenged on this forum because of your condescending tone.

I only know of you through this forum since you have little presence on the web beyond your postings here and on PhotoNet. Of the few railroad images I find, a few are very beautiful but hardly in the spirit of "It's about seeing. Or as Shelly said , "Strip the Veil of Familiarity from the Commonplace". It's about seeing with new eyes. Not imitating someone else." Please, Shelly was a genious and a revolutionary artist. You make some fine images, but in a very traditional and conventional way of seeing. Get real.

As I have gotten older, I have learned one very important lesson. I have learned how little I actually know. While I strive to share my kwowledge with others here, I still learn allot from the weekend warriors who frequent and are the mainstay of this forum.

Graham Patterson
9-Jan-2006, 21:57
My reaction was close to Kirk's. I am a dilettante. Photography is primarily a hobby for me, and has been for over three decades. I have other interests that pay me decently for my labours. I don't think that being paid for your work has anything to do with how well one sees, or realises that vision.

This forum is primarily a textual medium. It is hard to discuss images when you have to switch between windows, not to mention the barely adequate rendition on a computer screen. It can be done, but it is not as convenient as a stack of prints and a gathering around the living room table. Which process I enjoy as often as possible.

Perhaps you do have a lot of knowledge, perhaps a lot of insight, too. This topic is not going to convince me of that. But that was not your intention.

Jack Flesher
9-Jan-2006, 22:19
Richard:

It is indeed a sad state of affairs when one offering to share a lifetime of experience and ideas for free gets kicked in the teeth for making the offer. I for one would like to commend you for your generous offer.

Thank you,

Marko
9-Jan-2006, 22:23
Richard: If your just a hobbyist [...]

I have no time for weekend snap-shooters in LF who think there personal worth is their ego on internet postings. This is crap. I have not time for this. Serious professionals do not tolerate this kind of nonsense.

Oh, my! That's awfully lot of words for someone whose time is so precious as not to waste on people who photograph for the love of it, and not for money.

What was that you said about ego, again?

Kirk Gittings
9-Jan-2006, 22:39
And by the way, it is the weekend warriors who buy most of the LF products, fill the workshops, buy the books and purchase the images. They are the backbone of the medium and without whom there would be no "Large Format Community".

Struan Gray
10-Jan-2006, 01:13
I have always believed that my qualifications and experience should inform and shape my arguments, not seek to replace them. Longwindedly waving his CV and sense of self-belief at people - no less than three times - without actually saying anything substantial or even helpful is a sign that Richard feels differently. So be it.

GPS
10-Jan-2006, 02:21
How many drinks did it take, Richard, to write this post of yours? The world will miss you - and so will I. I had good laughs seeing your ego flying around, asking for veneration from the poor amateurs under you. Don't give up, ask for more! You need it.

darr
10-Jan-2006, 05:26
"I do not intend to set myself up as some kind of authority on photography because I am not."
--Richard Boulware 2005-08-23 07:18 PST

I was waiting for your "Photographers Notebook" posts to start for some time now. What a disappointment this situation turned out to be. I too Richard am a retired professional photographer with a few awards under my belt, but I do not feel the same way as you do regarding teaching and "learning" as I read more from the forum than contribute, and this is where I find my pleasure.

The item in this post that I dislike the most is how you bring the late John Cook into it. John was a true gentleman and a giant. It was never beneath him to contribute to this forum, and you sir should not be allowed to mention his name regarding "advice" when deciding to make such an inflammatory post regarding the "hobbyist and weekend snap-shooters in LF".

"It's about seeing with new eyes."
Funny how some things start and end.

clay harmon
10-Jan-2006, 07:58
Okay, bye.

windpointphoto
10-Jan-2006, 07:59
Just look at the many websites of the weekend photographers. I, and most on this forum, will never achieve the high level and beauty of their works.

Michael Graves
10-Jan-2006, 10:03
Speaking from a professional writer's point of view; I would have to take exception to Richard's attitude toward the "weekend photographer". In a way, since I do the illustrations for all my books, I guess I qualify as a professional photographer as well; although only in a legalistic POV, since book illustration and the occasional magazine article shot make up my entire professional photo portfolio. However, I would suffer greatly if I took that attitude that my books on computer technology were only for professionals and I eschewed the computer hobbiest. A goodly number of these hobbiests own copies of my books and I welcome them. As much as I would like to read Richard's book, should he ever get it published, I don't think I would want to offend him by dirtying his book with my weekend hobbiest hands.

That said, I really don't think there is much point in resorting to name calling either. Last I checked, this was still the good ol' US of A. And so far, the Patriot Act still hasn't completely eliminated Richard's right to express his opinion.

John_4185
10-Jan-2006, 10:05
I used to keep a notebook, but I couldn't read my handwriting. But it got worse: I was self-employed and fired myself because it turns out I wasn't a team player. So, I became self-unemployed. That worked.

William Mortensen
10-Jan-2006, 10:36
I tend to agree with Kirk's assessment, but also read a fair amount of frustration just under the surface in Richard's post. With what, I'm not sure, but probably not all is with what he took aim at.

On a tangent, I actually think it is the "weekend photographer" who seeks the most growth and deepest vision. Professional photographers too often find what works and do what pays the bills. The nature of much professional photography demands the abandonment of risk for reliability. The ultimate goal is to please the client, sell the product. This is a bit harsh, as there are some professionals who do push themselves and grow; some are here on the forum. I respect them greatly for that, largely because they are the exception.

Amateurs tend more to be in it for the love of it. There are a few who are in it for their egos, but they tend to have the weaker work (in my eyes), so I doubt their egos really benefit that much from it. But I've seen a fair amount of work through the years by wonderful photographers and other artists who don't show or publish much, who do what they do because it is what they simply and truly want to do. These are the people who want to grow the most, and given the time, money, energy, and support, (which they need to find a way to give themselves), they will do much of the best work. It's sad that much of this work won't be widely seen, but it's reassuring somehow to know that this kind of work, too, is being done...

John_4185
10-Jan-2006, 10:49
Mark Sawyer's comments rein in the heart of the matter.

The meaning of the word, amateur, has become negative over the past decades. Remember, it comes from amātor, a word for love. Perhaps amātor photographer is the term we should use.

People lucky enough to live in an urban setting, or a gifted smaller town, can probably hear and experience great music that will never be famous, possibly never recorded, and there have always been good, and some great artists who choose not to be professional at that level.

I have a feeling that Richard's comment was ill-considered and he would phrase it differently if he were to post again.

John Kasaian
10-Jan-2006, 10:50
FWIW I didn't read Richard's post as being a slam against us weekend warriors. I am as enept as the next guy (probably more so) when it comes to flailing around the woods with my big camera. I do read the post as taking issue with the attitude that questions posed here are sometimes answered with more ego than charity. Citing One's credentials, photographic experience, or professional standing isn't being egotistical but rather gives me an idea of the value I can expect from advice being offered. Advice shared in the spirit of good will and charity is what I've come to expect here. OTOH opinions about art and philosophy(culture, if you will) illicit more passionate resposes, as they well should, however there seems to be far more dialogue regarding technical issues than the equally important and I find very interesting topics that deal with the 'culture' of photography. Maybe I'm mistaken, but what Richard proposed to do is to relate to us his experiences lived within that culture---a culture quickly becoming lost as the result of digital imaging which is a new and significantly different culture. We are heirs to the culture of photography by virtue that we practice LF. He stated His background so we could 'weigh' for ourselves what creedence to give His views. That seems to me as being more than fair and this place is certainly a worthy forum for such things, right?

Recalling the late John Cook seems quite appropriate here. He was, by most if not all of us, well respected and revered. His posts were always inciteful and entertaining and His conduct gentlemanly and charitable(not a bad role model, huh?) If you agreed with Him or not, theres no denying that, and since most all of His concerns were the result of His observations made over the passing of decades there really was only His conclusions to take issue with and His conclusions were I think, well thought out. Yet even He was sometimes the recipient of mean spirited critcism born from clearly egotistical rantings of the 'artsy fartsies.' Clearly, Mr. Cook was not an 'artsy fartsey' and niether is Mr. Boulware. I can't say that I blame Him for not wanting to share His 'Photographer's Notebook' with us since His detractors would deride the effort. That is clearly a loss.

Philippe Gauthier
10-Jan-2006, 10:58
It's obvious that a forum in written text like this one is better suited for technical advice than for teaching highly abstract things such as "vision". We all value vision, but who can teach it using only the written word - it is pretty hopeless, I believe, and this is why this forum will remain mostly technical - at least with technical questions, there usually is an answer that can be put into words.

Accepting the limits of the media is the first part of the battle. If your forum is also to be mostly text, you'll face the same challenge.

The second part of the battle is accepting the fact that not all "weekend warriors" are snap shooters with no desire to improve. Yes, there are people which are more concerned with the ownership of a nice camera and the ultimate set of lenses than with actual pictures and some people who are so easily satisfied with everything they shoot that they won't get any advice, but I think that you'll find a higher proportion of those in the digital crowd - LF does very little for instant self gratification.

I actually believe that most weekend warrior care for sound advice and that many are getting so good that few people can actually give them. It's sad to see that one of the few who actually could has decided to seclude himself.

Paul Kierstead
10-Jan-2006, 11:04
I have a feeling that Richard's comment was ill-considered and he would phrase it differently if he were to post again.

Then perhaps he should. I don't know him, can't remember his posts; from the tone here, it appears lots of people give him the benefit of a doubt that they feel he deserves; for me, not having history, his post was extremely rude, condesending and much worse then much of what he is taking aim at.

Sure the forums all drive us crazy on occasion, but "I am taking my toys and going home"? Perhaps he had a bad day, or was exceedingly angry, or whatever, but I haven't seen any retraction or clarification.

As to criticism; surely, as a pro, he can stand some criticism (warranted or not) of his work. There are always assholes, always "Great job!" people and lots of people in between; some are constructive, some are not. Some make us angry, some stroke the ego (well, rarely here ....) and some mystify. From his post, I can identify which group he falls into.

Marko
10-Jan-2006, 11:54
What Paul said. I made a deliberate effort to re-read Richard's post several times, just to make sure I understood him correctly.

Well, I think I did and I still perceive it as incredibly pompous (as Kirk said) and rude (as Paul said). I would definitely add "condescending". It also made me re-read a few of Richards older posts and there is a layer of common feel to all of them.

What really makes some people great is not what they know, but how they use it.

Kirk Gittings
10-Jan-2006, 12:15
Marko I agree. I always sit and think real hard before I launch into someone as I did here, but after rereading his post a dozen times, I could come to no other conclusion. It was very pompous, condescending and rude and it made me really angry.

The plain fact is that this forum has many people who have a lifetime of experience, who simply log in every day and simply share their experiences from that lifetime. They earn the respect by their knowledge. They don't demand it with pronouncements about their vague past and private anonoumous club of "Heavyweights". They take the heat from some of the wackos that inhabit the forum, don't take it personally and keep comin back.

Struan Gray
10-Jan-2006, 13:32
The thing about John Cook is that he actually got on and wrote his wonderful, rambling, annoying, off-topic and inspiring posts. That he was also gracious, self-deferential and able to roll with the punches just added to the charm.

I have always believed that one should not expect too much from online forums, and be grateful for the impressively large number of gems that do appear amid the gravel. I also think that if a forum that I like enough to keep reading isn't headed the way I want it to, that's reason to post more, not less. Finally, I have very rarely come across well-written posts by the ill-informed: it is usually clear who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't without the need for on-file CVs.

I don't begrudge Richard his qualifications, or his stating of them. He is free to keep on posting about them. But they are not photography: they are not even his photography.

As the winged goddess of sports footwear puts it: Just Do It.

Paddy Quinn
10-Jan-2006, 22:07
Richard - why not just confine your little club to photographers who have recieved Guggenhiem Fellowships to keep the standard up?

You could then get - oh - maybe one taker from this list.

Would that be elitist enough for you?

Shilesh Jani
11-Jan-2006, 14:31
A few months ago I told a photographer friend to check out the website of another photographer because I was thrilled by the work. I got an email response back to the effect "nice photographs, but is it art?" This was followed by a long diatribe which included tons of famous name dropping. Ack! The little respect I actually had of this friend's work will forever be tempered because he deemed his own work was "art" while the other's mere "photographs". Pure self indulgence! As teachers, they only embrace adoration and worship. They run away from any challenge to their "way"

So....good riddence. There is more collective wisom in this world than one self indulgent, puny mind is capable of imparting to us.

David Karp
11-Jan-2006, 14:42
Readers see this post:

http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/newpost.php