PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 field camera and SA 72XL?

Emre Yildirim
10-Dec-2005, 07:44
Hello folks,

I'm thinking of selling my Sinar F2 and getting a field camera to replace it. It's just too clunky and heavy for landscape stuff. I was wondering what everyone's suggestions are. I'll mainly be using the Schneider 72mm Super Angulon XL and a 180mm Nikkor (and possibly a 65mm and 250mm lens in the future).

So far I'm looking at the Toyo-Field 45AII. Will a recessed lensboard give me decent movements with the 72mm, yet alone let me focus? Does anyone have other suggestions for lightweight field cameras that will let me use the above lenses? I hear the Toyo field cameras don't have interchangeable bellows. Has this been a problem for anyone?

Thanks!

Jo Irps
10-Dec-2005, 08:49
Emre,

What about this one on ebay from the Chinese thkshop who also sell the Gaoeri 6x17 panorama cameras:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Gaoersi-4X5-portable-camera-Made-in-China_W0QQitemZ7569385776QQcategoryZ15247QQcmdZViewItem

John Brady
10-Dec-2005, 09:25
Ernie,

Check out the Ebony line of cameras. I have the 45su and use it with the 72xl. The standard bellows has an un-pleated section near the front standard that allows plenty of movement with wide lenses.
I have just started sooting with a 47xl. This lens doesn't allow for much movement but I am still able to use it with the standard bellows.
I also use a 210 on ocassion. I think this Model will focus up to a 300mm lens. Check their site for the specifics.
They make some other models that may fit your needs also.

Pete Caluori
10-Dec-2005, 09:29
Greetings,

I can't comment on the use of recessed lens boards, but I have seen some complaints about them. I use the 72XL on a Canham DLC, though it probably accounts for less than 15% of my shots. I do not use a bag bellows and I have used it with maximum front rise. Doing so you just really need to force the camera and bellows, but it pops back into shape when your finished. This is one of the nice things abouth the Canham bellows; it can be deformed and will pop right back. If the 72XL accounted for a larger percentage of my images, I would probably invest in a bag bellows. I have also used a 65 SA and it too works just fine, just little to no movement with that lens.

Regards, Pete

Emre Yildirim
10-Dec-2005, 09:37
Thanks to everyone who replied. I went ahead and ordered the 45AII after much debating. I was considering the Linhofs (too expensive), the Ebonys as well - but then realized I wanted something more rugged and made out of metal. The Tachihara was my other option, but the the revolving back of the Toyo seems like an advantage, since most of my shots are landscape. The only problem I have is that the bellows are not interchangeable. I suppose I've been spoiled too much using my Sinar monorail :)

Take care everyone!

neil poulsen
10-Dec-2005, 10:46
The Wista metal field cameras have interchangeable bellows.

CXC
10-Dec-2005, 16:12
Another good choice for non-wood sturdiness, with interchangeable bellows, is the Walker Titan, made of ABS.

Even when technically not indispensable, a bag bellows is a tremendous convenience for those who use superwides on a regular basis. I assume all are like mine: they consume very little extra room, weigh nothing, and take maybe a minute to put on. And you know for a fact that the camera is not restricting the lens.

Ted Harris
10-Dec-2005, 19:43
Emre,

I can't answer your question specifically but can come very close. I use a Toyo 45AII (recently switched from the Walker mentioned above largely because the Walker's footprint was just a bit too big). While I do not use the 72 XL I do use the 75 Super Angulon and find that the movements are not particularly limited with a flat board. I just checked front swings and tilts and there is a bit of resistance with back tilt but you don't have much of that with a Toyo anyway. The only limitation is with front rise and you can get full front rise if you use it combined with back tilt on the rear. You may gain a bit of additional flexability with the recessed board but I would try it with a flat board first. I have never used a 65 with this camera so can't commen on that. You will have no problems at all with the longer lenses you mentioned.