PDA

View Full Version : Watch Out for Dry Creek Photo!

Brian Ellis
9-Dec-2005, 12:45
There's an outfit in Hillsboro, Oregon called "Dry Creek Photo" that purports to provide profiles for a variety of papers and printers. They have a very interesting and informative web site, which kind of lulls you into thinking they might be pretty good. But don't ever use them for anything. They never provided the profile for which I paid them months ago, they don't respond to email messages, they don't respond to pages. When you call you get their voice mail and then a message that says "this subscriber can't accept messages" or words to that effect. So if you were thinking of using them for profiles, don't , they're rip-off artists.

Howard Slavitt
9-Dec-2005, 14:15
Sorry to hear of your problems. But I don't think their ripoff artists. There was a thread on the Fred Miranda website a week or three ago discussing Dry Creek Photo's problems. Maybe it was on the "Pro Digitial" forum there if I remember correctly. The main guy for Dry Creek Photo -- Ethan something -- apparently got very ill. I had them do profiles for me a year ago and then about 3 months ago again. Ethan created excellent profiles both times. He was often a bit slow in responding. Unfortunately, Ethan is apparently no longer working with Dry Creek. They may now be ripping people off, I don't know, but at least in the past, they provided great, albeit sometimes slow services, and there is apparently an explanation of sorts, although it doesn't explain the way you've been treated.

Michael Gordon
9-Dec-2005, 14:41
It's amusing how many places around the web you can find people complaining about Dry Creek or Cathy's Profiles (dating back for some time), yet people continue to pitch money at them in order to save a few bucks.

If you need a profile, spend the extra few dollars and get it from a reliable company like Chromix.

Howard Slavitt
9-Dec-2005, 15:17
What's the problem with Cathy's profiles? I'd only read good things about her services . . . She was next on my list. . . BTW, I'm not sure that Dry Creek was cheaper than Chromix.

QT Luong
9-Dec-2005, 16:00
Ethan Hansen has provided useful replies to me on some forums in the past, but I noticed that he hasn't posted for a while. I have also read that he had health problems.

Brian Ellis
10-Dec-2005, 06:40
"Sorry to hear of your problems. But I don't think their ripoff artists"

What do you call someone who promises to provide a product or service, takes your money, then doesn't provide the product or service but keeps your money and ignores all requests for information? I call such a person a ripoff artist and since that's exactly what Dry Creek Photo has done to me that's what I call them.

Brian Ellis
10-Dec-2005, 07:09
I should have mentioned that before posting this message I sent yet another email message to Dry Creek Photo, telling them that I would post a message like this unless they responded within five days. I actually waited about ten days before posting it and never heard anything. I should also have mentioned that I'm not the only person who has had this problem. I Googled their name and found messages from several people in other forums who have had the same problem as I've had.

AJH
31-Jan-2006, 19:57
I was also ripped off by Dry Creek Photo. They delivered two profiles for my printer just before Christmas that were terrible -- worse than the out of the box profiles. I scanned the output (of one of their refernce photos) and emailed it back to them. They responded that yes the profiles were "pretty ugly" and they would redo them. Never heard from them again. I have emailed three times since, the last time asking for a refund. Have not had a response from them in more than a month and have not received a refund. Total rip-off artists as far as I am concerned. I will next complain to Paypal and ask them to revoke their vendor status.

Ed Richards
31-Jan-2006, 21:27
I think Cathy's may have had some problems recently, but I got a couple of excellent profiles from her last year. Some of the these one person shops do excellent work, but if that person gets sick, they have no backup.

Sergiy Zhuk
7-Feb-2006, 20:27
I've sent them the prints a month ago, and received no reply on multiple requests.

They have accepted the money though.

You just don't treat your customers this way.

I've filed a claim with Paypal.

Regarding "still sending them money", the DCP was highly recommended to me by people who used them before (about 2 years ago), they had to idea there were problems with their services now.

The funny thing is even on DCP they have links to other profiling services like Chromix, so if I knew it's gonna be this way, I would simply pay them a bit more and get what I wanted.

I've learned my lesson though and will look for any negative feedback about any company recommended to me or not.

thanks

Bob Marsolais
8-Mar-2006, 00:05
I also used Cathy's Profiles and am very happy with the results. This being the first time I used a profiling service, I unknowingly sent her improperly printed targets. She called me by phone and spent probably 20 minutes discussing not only my specific profile, but gave me general advice which was very useful. All for $40.

She did have an accident or something a few months back and I used her service after her recovery. I highly recommend her service.

Sometimes you need to give the small guy some flexibility. After all, if you were the small guy and something unexpected happened delaying your work, does that mean you're a rip off artist?