PDA

View Full Version : Flying with 8x10 within the U.S.

Eric Leppanen
6-Dec-2005, 11:10
For those of you traveling via airplane with your 8x10 kit, how do you go about it? For me, flying with 4x5 is easy (the camera kit and film fits into a carry-on sized backpack, and the tripod is stored in checked baggage), but 8x10 seems to pose some quandaries. I initially thought I would check-in my Lowepro Super Trekker (containing my entire camera kit except for film, holders and ground glass) and a large rolling suitcase (containing tripod, changing tent, empty film holders as well as personal items), and carry-on a large attaché case containing film and ground glass. However, what's to stop one of the airline workers from strapping on my camera backpack and making off with virtually my entire beloved 8x10 kit?

So far, have any of you had any problems with airport theft of checked camera equipment? Is there a less harrowing way to go about this?

I'd prefer to avoid separately sending equipment ahead of my arrival, as this poses other difficulties.

Thanks!

David A. Goldfarb
6-Dec-2005, 11:18
My 8x10" Gowland fits in a knapsack for laptop computers. The camera, lenses, most accessories, and film go in the knapsack, which I carry on the plane. Tripod goes in my Tenba TTP case with the head attached, handles removed and put in the side pocket. I have room for other things in the TTP case, so I often put clothing, darkcloth or other items in it. Filmholders and empty film boxes go checked in my suitcase--a maximum carryon type rolling case. Lately, I've made a little case for each of the cameras that I travel with containing items that seem to attract the attention of airport screeners, because they look like something dangerous--cable releases, Linhof rangefinder cams, and small tools and screwdrivers, and I put it in my checked luggage. I let my knapsack with film go through the X-ray, and more often then not, they let my camera through without asking for a hand inspection, and I haven't had trouble with fog from X-rays.

karl french
6-Dec-2005, 12:11
I have had no trouble carrying on a Canham 8x10 in a Lowepro Photo Trekker AW with the camera, 4 lenses, darkcloth and small items. I carry on 6 film holders and a box of film in a book bag. I check the tripod and a changing tent in my duffle. This set up has worked for me on 4 or 5 cross country trips in the last few years.

I'm not sure but the Super Trekker may be too big for the overhead bins.

Good luck.

mark blackman
6-Dec-2005, 12:30
What are the maximun dimensions & weight for carry-on luggage on US internal flights?

Eric Leppanen
6-Dec-2005, 13:37
Mark,

Here you go:

www.aa.com/content/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jhtml (https://www.aa.com/content/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jhtml)

Donald Hutton
7-Dec-2005, 11:30
As it so happens, I am on my annual vacation visiting family in South Africa and have brought an 8x10 with me (I travel everywhere with a 4x5, lenses and Mamiya 7 outfit in a Lowepro Commercial as carryon. For this trip, I bought a Pelican case which generously accomodates my 8X10 - custom fitted the camera with the very convenient supplied foam and then put the Pelican (I think it's a 1650...) into an old suitcase with some other things and checked it. Empty 8x10 holders went in the middle of my other checked baggage. I carried all the lenses I needed as well as the Mamiya 7 outfit and a Rolleiflex in the Lowepro commercial and all my film in an extra cooler bag (which is just about the right size for two bottles of wine) which my daughter lugged around. The Pelican solution seems to work just fine...

Anthony J. Kohler
7-Dec-2005, 12:06
While I haven't tried travelling with it yet (I haven't been doing much flying lately), I recently took my 4x5 out of my Photo Trekker AW and shoehorned in my Zone VI 8x10. It gets a tad crowded with three lenses, filter kit and such, and I'm limited to about three film holders - but it's loads lighter than the Super Trekker was, and I know from travelling with the 4x5 that it fits as a carry-on. Barely, but so long as it makes it, who cares about room to spare?

Frank Petronio
7-Dec-2005, 12:37
I plan on using my Lightware 1629 to check my 8x10 Arca through, with lens, holders and changing bag all aboard. Laptop, DSLR and lenses, and boxes of film go into the carry-on backpack. Tripod goes into either my suitcase or I'll put my suitcase into a Lightware 34 x 12 x12 cargo case.

I used to check my 4x5 monorail with lenses in a Tenba or Lightware View Camera Case - never a problem and you can bring everything - very nice to work out of the car with as you can leave the monorail assembled.

Don't be afraid to check if you have proper bags and time between flights. Bags thend to get lost during short connections.

John Kasaian
10-Dec-2005, 17:25
I always stuff a clean shirt, swimming trunks and toilet kit with my meds in my carry on. You never know when you're going to get stuck someplace and at least I'll have my pills, razor, and toothbrush with me, a clean shirt to go out to dinner in, and most hotels and motels have a pool so I can go swimming while thinking about what to do next. Theres plenty of room in my Lowe AW for that stuff.

CXC
6-Jul-2006, 09:07
DavidG,

If you are still listening, would you mind saying what brand of knapsack you use with your Gowland 8x10? I just got one and it doesn't fit in my f.64 backpack, so I am shopping for a new pack. I have the All Moves with reversible back, so, with knobs, it is on the order of 16"x17". Any pack that is designed for a 17" pc obviously will address one of the dimensions, but most are too narrow in the other dimension. Thanks.

CXC
6-Jul-2006, 09:13
Oops, nevermind, I see on another thread that it is an EMS. I'll check them out.

Dan Schmidt
6-Jul-2006, 12:08
You get one carry on and a personal item. I make my camera the personal item. In a medium sized backpack goes 4 film holders , two lens and assorted other things. I carry the camera in my hand (I strap it to the outside of the pack if I need to travel far), and seperate it out at security check points like it was a laptop.

The tripod and extra filmholders (if needed) go in checked baggage.

If my checked baggage or luggage is delayed or lost, I can always buy or have another tripod shipped to me, but the rest of my kit (which much harder to replace time and money wise) carries on with me.

Bob Salomon
6-Jul-2006, 13:40
Mark,

You gave a link to American Airlines policy. Each airline has it's own rules. But this is from the AA link.

"Audio/Visual Equipment
Camera, film, lighting, and sound equipment (up to a maximum of 115 in/292 cm and 100 lbs/45 kgs) will be charged an excess rate of $50.00 per piece when tendered by representatives of network or local television broadcasting companies, commercial film-making companies, the federal government, Department of Defense or the American Society of Media Photographers. "

If you can qualify for ASMP you can save quite a bit of money if you go over the weight or case limits.

chris jordan
6-Jul-2006, 14:17
I have a large hard plastic suitcase that I bought for $5 at a thrift store. I line it with a partially-inflated therma-rest matress, roll the camera and film holders in a couple of sweaters, pack the rest of my clothes in there with the tripod head, and check it all through. I put a note inside the suitcase telling the TSA people what it all is, and asking them please to repack it carefully. I also wrote in huge painted letters on the side of the suitcase "HANDLE GENTLY PLEASE!!" and so far that has all worked pretty well. Then the lenses and light meter get wrapped in shirts and go with me on the plane in a small knapsack, and the film gets FedExed to the destination. My tripod gets checked through also, without the head.

And this is right about when working with a Holga starts sounding pretty attactive...

~cj

www.chrisjordan.com