PDA

View Full Version : Agfa Arcus 1200 any good for LF?

Steve Bell
28-Nov-2005, 06:06
I've just been given an Agfa Arcus 1200 scanner. It has a 5x4 neg holder and could scan 10x8 on the glass. I don't currently have a computer with a SCSI interface so can't test or evaluate it. Is it any good for LF or shall I junk it?

Henry Ambrose
28-Nov-2005, 07:16
Its not as good as a newer Epson 4990 (for example) but its is still useful. I suspect that for less than $50.00 you can buy a SCSI card. That leaves only software to deal with - do you know if there is software for this scanner that will run on your operating system? If not I think VueScan might work. You might spend $100 total to get this one going or you can spend several times more for a newer scanner.

tim atherton
28-Nov-2005, 07:33
Quick before it disappears:

http://www.agfa.com/digicam_scanner_drivers/index.html

vuescan should work in addition

The Arcusscan software is actually fairly sophisticated though

The scanner should do reasonably well

matthew blais
28-Nov-2005, 08:18
I have one bought new five years ago. Vuescan works with it and should work fine, albeit "dinasaur" technology vs. todays quicker and smaller options.

Steve Bell
28-Nov-2005, 09:24
Thanks for the comments. I already have an Epson 4990, but this one was being thrown out by a customers who's new Mac does have SCSI. Unfortuneately none of my Macs do either. Based upon comments, I'll hang on to it and test it when I'm back into work, and eventually find a new home for it. I hate seeing useful equipment being dumped.

John_4185
28-Nov-2005, 09:32
It's a very good scanner, considering that it is five years old. The included software has an excellent set of color profiles for many different films. Besides the 4x5 holder, it came with two different kinds of MF holders, and 35mm.