PDA

View Full Version : GG Protector?

John Kasaian
14-Nov-2005, 22:26
My Orthopedist & Physical Therapist tell me I can probably be on skis byJanuary :-) so I'm comtemplating taking my 8x10 kit along in a Lowe AWII pack. It stikes me as if a gg protector might be good insurance. Should I make my own or buy one? It seems like it wouldn't be hard or expensive to make one out of baltic birch ply and/ or plexiglas and as soon as I feel up to operating power tools I may do just that. I was wonder what the concensus is among the experts as far as general design and what makes for a good gg protector?

I figure on duplicating the locking ridge on my film holder to keep the ggp in place, with some material rigid enough to prevent bowing and thus stressing the gg in cas of a fall. I'll want to protect both sides of my gg since a 19" Artar will be aboard, riding along in the camera's innards with the lensboard reversed.

I'd be grateful for any ideas, suggestions etc...

Cheers!

Ralph Barker
14-Nov-2005, 22:54
I used two pieces of Masonite to make a GG sandwich, with hinges made of left-over nylon strapping from REI, and little Velcro tabs to keep it closed. For your application, a thin layer of foam on both sides would further protect from shock.

Richard Ide
14-Nov-2005, 23:15
Hi John

I need a couple as well and was thinking of bending a sheet of lexan 1/8" thick and using the back springs to hold it in place. this stuff is almost indestructable and you can bend it by heating with a hair dryer. Never having seen one, I will use trial and error, I guess. Won't be in to it for a couple of weeks.

Richard

John Kasaian
15-Nov-2005, 00:01
Richard: I was thinking about lexan as well but I thought it might be too flexible. I'll have to check out the 1/8" stuff.

Ralph: How do you cut masonite? I'm also wondering how well it will hold up in moist conditions or if it is moisture resistant (I used to have a clip board made of the stuff---I should have paid closer attention to it) It would certainly be rigid enough.

This sure gives me ideas. Thanks!

tim atherton
15-Nov-2005, 00:35
Richard,

At one time I made one like that (there used to be a pic on the Canham site I think of his GG protectors - which are just a piece of lexan/plexi folded in half)

Long piece of plexi the width of a film holder, heat the middle carefully with a paint stripper blower and fold it around the right size of dowel - I made it so the two sides of the open end almost touched - the springiness of the plexi kept it tight in the back then

Richard Ide
15-Nov-2005, 01:30
Hi Tim

That is exactly what I was going to do so it will work

thanks

Richard

Robert A. Zeichner
15-Nov-2005, 05:26
I cut a piece of foamcore to make a plug that fits into the gg cavity and then I slip an extra dark slide between the gg and the camera. A long rubber band stretched diagonally acrss the back keeps the foamcore in place.

Michael Jones
15-Nov-2005, 06:09
You could sell your current outfit and then order a new Wisner 8x10 with a gg protector. Oh that’s right, you wanted it for next year’s outings… I'm sorry; I couldn't resist.

If you want a ready made solution, there is a fellow on eBay selling a scaled up 8x10 version of the black polystyrene, slide-in 4x5 protector Calumet has sold for years. It protects both sides and is pretty rugged. I paid about $25 including shipping and it is very nice. If you only want to protect 1 side, Dick Phillips uses a single sheet of lexan plastic attached with “buttons” of Velcro in each corner. Very convenient. Good luck.

Mike

j.e.simmons
15-Nov-2005, 07:14
I use Masonite, too - cut with a jig saw. I've used mine for about three years in the hot and humid Florida swamps and marshes with no sign of problems from moisure.

juan

eric mac
15-Nov-2005, 07:38
I've used a couple pieces of 1/8 inch baltic birch with a walnut spacer. If something goes through this, I have bigger worries than just the ground glass.

Eric

Ralph Barker
15-Nov-2005, 07:38
John - there are a couple of different grades of Masonite available. The "hardened" grade is pretty resilient, and impervious to normal humidity. (I'm not sure how it would hold up if soaked in water, though.) Nonetheless, I painted mine prior to attaching the hinges and Velcro closure. Although I cut it on my table saw, it can be cut with virtually any saw.

If you wanted a snazzier one, you might consider using the pre-finished hardwood flooring material instead.

Ted Harris
15-Nov-2005, 11:16
You might also consider buying one of the ones that Keith Canham makes out of clear plexiglass. At $30 for an 8x10 I wonder if it is worth the effort to go the DYI route. I own several of them in 4x5 and one in 5x7. They are solid, elegant and inexpensive.

Dan Jolicoeur
15-Nov-2005, 11:49
Go easy on my website I was just playing around and slapped it together, but here are pictures of what I did. I don't have the dimensions at hand but email me if you are interested.

http://www.umit.maine.edu/~daniel_jolicoeur/

Randy Becker
15-Nov-2005, 14:55
Not to sound against all of you who can actually make their own, I just went online and got a 4x5 and 8x10 from Calumet and a 5x7 from Sammy's (I think). Don't recall the price but they have each saved the ground glass several times.

Best to all,
Randy

John Kasaian
15-Nov-2005, 23:42
Dan Jolicoeur,
Thanks for the link---You've done some pretty nice work---I certainly enjoyed your site as well as the photo of your gg protector!

Dan Jolicoeur
16-Nov-2005, 08:02
John, You are too kind thank you. My site is a mess and the photos need to be updated. I need to find away to scan some 11x14 to update it. I don't have time to work on my website, and I have a few nice pictures that I would like to put on there.