PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of shutter releases

Calamity Jane
25-Oct-2005, 08:52
Speaking of remote releases, I've been looking at a pneumatic release like this one:

http://porters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=100281&Category_Code=C1A

I'm learing wet plate and would like to do some self-portraits (cheap model!) but I can't use the self-timer for long exposures.

Does anybody know if these will fit a LF shutter? Since the release socket is often tight to the lensboard I am concerned it might be a waste of time.

Thanks gang!

Nick_3536
25-Oct-2005, 08:57
Don't know about that model but the one I have fits I think all my lenses. I'm not going to say it's an easy fit but it just fits.

Ralph Barker
25-Oct-2005, 08:58
Yep, (mine, at least) works fine. 8^)

Leonard Evens
25-Oct-2005, 09:00
I also have one that acts fine.

Oren Grad
25-Oct-2005, 09:22
I've tried one of these for the same purpose (cheap model for test purposes, that is - at this point my plates are still dry...). It's a nuisance to get it to screw in to the socket on a modern Copal, but it is possible. But with that much tubing between me and the camera, it takes a fair amount of effort to squeeze the bulb enough to release the shutter, and invariably I end up moving during exactly the time when the shutter is open. I'd love to know of a reasonably-priced combination self-timer/long exposure device or soft-touch wireless release that could fit a Copal shutter and operate it on the B or T setting.

Neil Miller
25-Oct-2005, 09:41
Hi Calamity!

I have a very similar one and use it with both medium and large format with no problems. I got another one cheap, too, and shortened it to about a yard long and use it just like a regular release.

Regards,
Neil (another wetplate neophyte)

James E Galvin
25-Oct-2005, 09:48
You might check out the solenoids that were often used on Speed or Crown Graphics, to trip the shutter from the flash unit button. They mount on a ring that mounts under the shutter, and have a hook that grabs the shutter release. Should be some info on Graphlex.org.

Amund BLix Aaeng
25-Oct-2005, 10:33
How long exposures?
If it`s any help, my Autoknips selftimer gives my up to 10 second exposures.

Amund

Scott Davis
25-Oct-2005, 10:36
to solve the air pressure and physical movement problems with a long air release, put the bulb on the floor and step on it. you'll get much better pressure, and have an easier time holding it with your foot than trying to squeeze it in your hand.

RichSBV
25-Oct-2005, 10:48
On many shutters, it also helps to use the 3 inch extension cable between the air release and the shutter. That's how I connect mine...

Oren Grad
25-Oct-2005, 11:16
Scott - I've tried it that way, afraid it doesn't help.

Amund - that's interesting, I'd never heard the name before but found a bunch of references by Googling it. One thing that's not clear to me: is it possible to set an Autoknips to give both a delay of several seconds before releasing the shutter and a timed exposure on B? Or do you have to choose one or the other?

Amund BLix Aaeng
25-Oct-2005, 13:47
Oren

Yes, you can use both. Up to ten seconds before releasing the shutter, and then up to ten seconds exposure. It`s a handy little gizmo, I paid around $12-15 for it on eBay. There`s always some of them for sale there.

Amund

Oren Grad
25-Oct-2005, 14:29
Amund - many thanks! I'll keep an eye out for one.