PDA

View Full Version : preferred horseblanket darkcloth alternative

Scott Davis
17-Oct-2005, 10:24
What do people prefer as their alternative to the old horseblanket? I'm looking for a new focusing bag/hood type thing to replace an inexpensive thing I got on ebay that has an elastic band on one end and a slit for the hand to come through with a loupe. It works ok in my studio, but out in the field it creates several problems - it isn't dark enough inside (the fabric isn't heavy enough) and the slit for you to stick your hand through is too big so it lets in too much light and causes glare on the ground glass.

I've looked at the BTZS hood and a competitor who also sells on Ebay - the competitor's hood is silver on the outside, not beige, but that's about the only real difference I can see. Has anyone bought either of these and do they have a preference?

Eric Leppanen
17-Oct-2005, 10:40
largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/502725.html (http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/502725.html)

Brian Vuillemenot
17-Oct-2005, 10:48
I use the BTZS hoods, in both 4X5 and 8X10 size. I find them much preferable to a focusing cloth- they stay in place much better, and thus provide a darker environment. You can even use them when it's windy out (within limits, of course!). They are a little on the pricey side, however, and get real hot inside when it's hot out!

Doug Dolde
17-Oct-2005, 11:14
Black polar fleece sweater. The neck hole fits a 4x5 back pretty well.

Joseph O'Neil
17-Oct-2005, 11:18
Wal-mart.

Bath towel.

Terry cloth, cotton. Usually around $6 to 9$.

If you need something bigger, get a bath "sheet". If you want something really *fancy*, wait until Sears or Target put their Egyptian cotton bath towels on sale half price. Not any darker, just feel nicer when you mop the sweat off your forehead on a hot day.

:)

joe

Brian Sims
17-Oct-2005, 11:31
I sewed my own out of rip stop nylon. I used two layers of black and one layer of white (to reflect heat). I sewed velcro near the front edge of the cloth and attached the other half of velcro to the front of the camera (top and sides). I also sewed a piece of copper wire into the front of the cloth so that I can shape the wire to hold the front edge of the clothe as a lens shade. The velcro keeps the lite weight fabric on the camera even in a strong wind. And the rip stop also protects the camera if it starts raining.

robert_4927
17-Oct-2005, 12:09
I bought a 2 ply gortex material. white on one side and black on the other. I lined it with a very opaque black silk. It's light weight, waterproof and breathable. Best dark cloth I've ever used

Wilbur Wong
17-Oct-2005, 12:16
Robert, where do you get 2 ply gortex material from?

Ralph
17-Oct-2005, 12:22
If you listen to photographers who have tried both the "rectangle of material" option AND the "some elastic involved to keep light from coming in from below" variety,

. . . I don't think you'll find very many who went from the latter back to the former. Enough said.

I use BTZS over BlackJacket because I'm constantly getting out from under the darkcloth and the sleeves would be cumbersome, but YMMV if the light-tightness is more important than quick escape. But again, either of those two options will be far more light-tight than the square horse-blanket, regardless of whether the HB is made of silk, goretex, or any other material.

robert_4927
17-Oct-2005, 12:26
Wilbur, Rockywoods Outdoor Fabrics. They're in Loveland, Colorado. Phone# 970-663-6163

Jim Noel
17-Oct-2005, 12:39
Scott,
I bought one of these a few months ago and like it better than anything I have tried. My 8x10 is a Deardorff and this does let some light pass between the back and the focusing bed, but I have not found that to be as much of a problem as the tubes or horse blankets. It is very light weight, and very dense material. The sleeves come in very handy, especially in a wind.

www.quietworks.com - Home of the BLACKJACKET "The focusing cloth with
sleeves"

Jim

robert_4927
17-Oct-2005, 12:39
Ralph, I tried the blackjacket also. I totally agree with you. I had the 30" red dot on the 8x10 and after fighting to get in and out of the thing three or four times I just calmly walked over to my photo assistant and gave it to her. I said either use it or find the nearest trash can for it. It may be fine for 4x5 or for short focal length lenses but where a long bellows is involved it is worthless to me. Also it was like working in a sauna. If a brighter GG is desired they make a GG that is two stops brighter than normal. That would be my approach . I mean how dark does one need in order to focus? Hell I don't even use a darkcloth in the studio.

Brian Ellis
17-Oct-2005, 12:42
BTZS hood for 4x5 and 8x10. I tried tried the Black Jacket, it was very nice and kept the ground glass darker than the BTZS because of the absence of the Velcro slit the BTZS hood uses. But I didn't like having to get my arms in and out of it several times to make a photograph so I didn't buy one. BTZS has gone through several different materials and colors since I bought my first one about ten years ago. I liked the original better than the current version but it works and is infinitely better than the horse blanket I started out with.

Mark Sawyer
17-Oct-2005, 12:44
I use a black sweatshirt with the arms cut off at about normal short-sleeve length. Thick enough to be pretty dark, the waist opening fits 8x10 pretty well, the neck opening fits 4x5 pretty well, and you can wear it if it gets cold.

Robin Coutts
17-Oct-2005, 12:53
I have used both the BTZS hood (2 models) and the Blackjacket - hybrid, all in 4x5.
I prefer the Blackjacket, partly because of the ventilation with the hybrid design and partly because when working in high winds, having your arms in the sleeves helps viewing enormously, stopping the usual buffeting and also half the screen being obscured on the windward side. If it is a calm day I often don't bother using the sleeves. I also find that when putting it on the camera it is best not to over-tension the elastic cord as this makes it more difficult to put on correctly.

Robin Coutts

robert_4927
17-Oct-2005, 13:12
I like the marketing of the blackjacket. "If it starts raining you can wear it as a rain coat"....lol. If it starts raining the last thing I worry about is me. What am I going to cover my 6000.00 camera with is my thoughts. I'm sure it is a good product for some, just not for me and the way I work.

CXC
17-Oct-2005, 14:01
T-shirt. Put the neck over the back of the camera for 4x5, stick your head up in from the bottom.. Reverse it for 5x7 or 8x10; if windy, use an alligator clip to pull it tight enough to stay in position.

Michael Jones
17-Oct-2005, 14:42
BTZS hood for 4x5 through 14x17. I tried the old horseblanket, including a very large yet light weight home made one for an 8x20, but kept coming back to the BTZS models (I have several). While not perfect, they can leak a bit of light around the bottom of the camera depending upon its construction, they are simple to use and require no thought.

David Mark
17-Oct-2005, 14:43
Apparently the world of large-format photographers can be split into two camps: the rugged, manly types who use for their dark cloths any old flotsam from their tattered wardrobes, and who, in a pinch, could no doubt construct an adequate darkcloth out of pine boughs scattered along the trail; and the wimps who favor expensive, tricky, feature-laden high-tech dark cloths that don't work any better than the old horse blankets.

I count myself firmly in the latter camp. I am the proud owner of two new-fangled dark cloths: the blackjacket and the Gnassgear dark cloth. The Gnassgear is my favorite. It is light, breathable, and can be snugged up around the ground glass pretty well by means of snaps, velcro and an elasticized edge. you can see it and read about it on the Gnassgear website.

robert_4927
17-Oct-2005, 15:16
Ok let's get real here....I assume most when critically focusing use a loup on the ground glass...Ok now one eye is closed and the other is on the eye-cup of the loup. How can a small amount of light coming through the camera bed effect your focus?.....you can't see it anyway. Some claim it works better in the wind... In the wind I'm more concerned about bellow movement than darkcloth movement. It amazes me how in the world photographers such as Adams and Weston ever made a decent picture without all these new high tech gadgets......sorry but I can't help laughing.

tim atherton
17-Oct-2005, 15:24
"It amazes me how in the world
photographers such as Adams and Weston ever made a decent picture without
all these new high tech gadgets......sorry but I can't help laughing."

Since when has the skirt (or kilt if you want to remain macho) been hi-tech as compared to the horseblancket...?

CXC
17-Oct-2005, 16:25
David, I actually own a BTZS along with a regular darkcloth (with velcro), and I prefer the t-shirt, which I came upon last, through advice on this forum. I'm spreading the word: any of you folks who happen to own a t-shirt, why not give it a try?

Joe Smigiel
17-Oct-2005, 17:21
For my 11x14 I bought some aluminized nylon from Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics (owfinc.com) @ $9.70/yd and constructed a tube that is 72" in diameter (IIRC ) and 58" long (the width of the fabric). I sewed a loop on one end to hold a drawstring that fits over the rear of the camera. It is very lightweight material and to use it I just slip one end over the rear box and tighten the string and then throw the rest of it over my head and shoulders. It is loose enough and oversized enough that I can easily withdraw an arm from the tube to focus or adjust movements without stray light entering. It also compresses to a smaller size than a standard darkcloth. It is by far the best darkcloth I've ever used. I even use it with my smaller 5x7 camera and it works equally well. An added bonus is that it makes a nice reflector or subtractor (reversible silver/black) should the need be there once the camera is focused.

Joe Smigiel
17-Oct-2005, 17:24
...a tube that is 72" in diameter...

Oops. The tube isn't that large. It is 72" circumeference, not diameter to fit around the back of the 11x14. Sorry.

robert_4927
17-Oct-2005, 18:46
To the two ply Gortex material that I mentioned in my previous post. The little woman sewed the black silk to the inside as a liner. in between the two materials she sewed a 6 inch piece of heavy elastic ( on the camera back end) also bought from the same place. Instead of velcro fasteners she sewed in their place strips of magnetic material a little thicker than the stuff you see on your frig ( you know, fridge magnets) in between the gortex and the silk also along the leading edge out on the ends (the part that goes around the camera back). I never liked the velcro sticking to my gloves or what have you and always getting gummed up with something or another. The magnets work like a charm and hold well. It's a little more than just a horse blanket but not by much. the magnets are 6" long and 3/4" wide x 3/16 thick. I made them this long for more holding power but I think 3" of magnet would have been sufficient. I also added magnets a little farther down the edge to close the cloth around me once inside but I seldom use it unless it's flapping in the wind. If I needed total light-tightness when I'm focusing I'd just give up photography.

robert_4927
17-Oct-2005, 19:05
The little woman just brought to my attention that she also sewed two little pockets on the opposite ends to accept quarter size flat washers the kind you find in your tackle box so weights can be used as an option for holding the cloth down in the wind. As I said before I've been using dark clothes for mmmuuuuuph years and she has made probably the best I have ever used. and if it rains, sure I can use it for a cape but I'd much rather throw it over my camera and secure it untill the rain passes. Gortex is a great material and you won't be soaking wet from sweat after you come out from under it. It breaths very well.

curtis
17-Oct-2005, 21:55
i use a black skirt .25 in a thrift store take your camra in for the fitting

Steven Barall
18-Oct-2005, 10:53
Adversity builds character. It's like when Curly starts frantically yelling "I can't see, I can't see" and Moe asks why not and Curly replies, "I got my eyes closed."

If too much light is getting under your cloth just close your eyes.