PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Camera show - report

Joseph O'Neil
2-Oct-2005, 15:49
Went to see the semi-annual photo show held by the Historical Photogrpahic Society fo Canada. I only seem to make it once every 2-3 years. Anyhow, the show ran form 10 am to 3 pm, and i got there about 11:30 am. In terms of large format gear, he is breiefly what I saw:

(FYI $1.00 US = roughly $1.20, or somethign for $500 Cdn ~ $420 US)

- my "prize" purchase of the show was an Ilex Paragon Anastigmat - 6 1/2 inch. Not sure what this in mm - I have ready everythintg form 161 to 168mm, but regardless, I ahve a 135 and a 180, so whatever the exact size, it fits in the middle.

I belive it is a tessar lens - not sure of th eage - loks like fromt he 40's, Acme #3 shutter, but is is in superb shape. Well used, but the glass is clean, no marks, and the shutter appears to fire on all speeds. $50 Cdn. Oddly, one place i ahve run into these lenses being mention is they were used on the (spelling?) Folmer-Grpahic 4x5 Aerial camera - K20 I think (I have an old, old Popular mechanics showing one pictured somethering).

Not coated, but hey, for $50, it even has the retianing ring.

Okay, bragging over - back tothe LF gear I saw for sale

- lots and lots fo used 4x5 fom holders, and evern 2x3 film holders. Prices ranged form $4 each for ones needing new tape to $12.50 each for nealry new ones. There was a coupel dealers who had a pile of almost new Lisco Regal II - new model - 4x5 film holder.s They all have a serail number engraved on them on the top. Looks liek soem lab/company bought a pile fo them, engraved them all, and then never used them, or used them maybe once. These averaged $12.50 to $10 Cdn each.

Conversely, some guys were selling used Lisco film holders for $10 each, some wtih torn tape, cracked dark slides, etc. Like all trade shows, you have to shop around, and you see the whole range.

-Lenses
Some really good deals, some not so good deals. Ran across two, older, Schneider Angulons, 90mm, F8. at different tables. One was $375 Cdn, glass was good, shutter looke like ti needed a cleaning & serving. Another oen was $550 Cdn, and the shutter seemed to fire good.

Problem was, a lot of these table were very busy, and not one dealer had just large format exclusively, so while i am try ot see a lens, some guy is elbowing me going through a box of old filters. So you don't always get a good look, especially since I wasn't going to buy a 90mm.

conversely, I sawa 135mm Schenider Xenar in Compur shutter - great shape - $240 Cdn (it's a tessar - I sued to ahve one), but then I found a Komurea 210mm, F6.3, decent looking shape. and the guy wanted $500 cdn. Ugh!

The thing was though, for th emost part, excpet for LF lenes begin sold as part of an Antque camera, I didn's see any real junk. Some crazy prices, other good prices, but all the glass on the lenses looked good. Some lenses looked they had been very well used, and i figured those shutters woudl need servcing, but agina, at least what I saw, the glass was all good.

Feild Cameras - 4x5

Only saw two. A Horseman, behind glass - looked clean, but didn't get to handle it. Asking price, $12.00 Cdn.

Also, a Linhof Technika - not sure of themodel - my best guess is a Tech 5, form the early to mid 1960s. Included a 135mm Schenider / Linholf lens (didn't get to see what type), looked clean, bellows looked in good shape - asking price was $750 Cdn. I was sorely temped - but didn't have that much cash on me.

Monorails - 4x5

Many of them. I didn't get prices, but I saw at least 6 to 7 of them. everything from battered & beaten Cambos that have seen better days to - I forget the name (yes, I should of taken notes) some twin rail 4x5 that looked in great shape, but heavy! Crap - you probally would needed a tripod capable of handling 8x10 or 11x14 to handle that sucker.

I do feel however, if somebody wanted to jump into 4x5 , they probally could of gotten a decent system for a decent price - if they knew there stuff and shopped carefully.

What Was Missing (IMO)

- very little ULF.

I think I saw maybe two, 5x7 holders, and maybe 2-3 LF lens that woudl cover 8x10. I saw one 240, but behidn glass, busy crowd, so I didn't get a good look. No 8x10 canmeras, unless some fo the older, "antiques" being sold were 8x10. I don't clam to ahve seen everything,b ut if you wanted anything bigger than the 4x5 system, you probally wold nto ahve been too happy

- little LF darkroom gear.

Enlargers, matching lenses, reels, tanks - almost all for 35mm. Some MF darkroom gear, but if you wanted to setup a 4x5 or larger darkroom, slim pickings. I think I saw collectivelya bout 4-5 SS hangers (in 4x5), and a couple of rubber tanks - nothing else.

I did see this big JOBO drum that got my heart pounding, so I raced over, but not a 4x5 drum - a 2840 drum for paper. But it was in good shape and the guy wanted $5 -so what the hey, I bought it. :)

- lensboards

Almost nothing. One, new , undrilled Crown Graphic lens board for $35 Cdn. Kinda pricey I think. columbus Camera is always selling new ones for $19 on Ebay - and that's about $23 Cdn. You see, ti cost about $15 to $20 to get a hole drilled at a local machine shop. I am sure it can be done cheaper, but even with shipping, ti cheaper to buy form Stateside when you factor in the cost of dripping a hole.

Except for lenses I saw already on Cambo lens boards - these were some of the lenses I mentioned earlier that glass looked good, but well used lenses that probally needed shutter CLA, and a cloose look at the filter threads to make sure there were no dings, etc.

(some univeral rule of used shows that the grungy an item is, the higher the price? :)

that's all for now. Oh yes, my big buy at the show - 19 film holers for $134 Cdn
(don't ask, i was on a roll)
:)

joe

Bill_1856
2-Oct-2005, 16:39
An interesting report. I like to go to the shows which come to Florida in the Winter, but there is less and less stuff of interest to me. I even feel sorry for some of the venders, wondering how they are even breaking even (but they do get a deductable vacation).

Michael Dowdall
2-Oct-2005, 16:51
Hi Joe

We must have past each other today. It was a pretty mixed bag of stuff today. I saw one 8x10, a very tired Calumet. One that I had a hard time passing up was a 13cm x 18cm Goertz Tenax, working with three holders for $150. In the past there has been alot more LF stuff. There where a couple of 8x10 enlargers that went unsold at $2000 cdn last fall. Wish I had the cash that day. My find was three Kodak 4x5 hard rubber developing tanks with two hangers for $20. Still all in all a good day.

Michael

Andrew O'Neill
2-Oct-2005, 23:11
I went to the annual Vancouver camera swam meet today. Compared to last year, it sucked. Toronto sounds much better.

Charles Hohenstein
3-Oct-2005, 00:15
We used to have camera swap meets in South Bend, but not anymore. Is there anything like that in Kalamazoo or the Chicago metro area?

Joe Smigiel
3-Oct-2005, 10:17
Charles, the last K'zoo Photorama swap was about 3 years ago IIRC. South Bend was always much better IMO. I can remember picking up Speed Graphics for $35-75 each only lacking ground glass, 8x10 holders for $10 each, etc. That was about 10 years ago.

Not much there last time except a table after table of weird cross-star filters and moldy Peterson Photo books from the 70s.

One dealer had some nice Rollei stuff, another with some Minox, but that's about it. No LF to speak of. A lot of the dealers I spoke to were upset because the swap wasn't advertised very well and the turnout was low. Most said they wouldn't be back so I doubt there will be another swap in this town. Maybe the Grand Rapids show will continue.

I believe the Chicago Historical Society also holds a yearly swap but I've only been to a Photorama one, which was not anything great IMO. Ebay has really killed these things.

Joe

Deniz
3-Oct-2005, 14:10
Hey Andrew , speak for yourself!!! You know I got lucky with some 8x10 film holders and a sweet shutter for my barrel lenses..which actually works great with my 210/9 on the 8x10.

But yea vancouver camera show did suck this year.. maybe it will be better in the spring..