PDA

View Full Version : Graphex Shutter Question (in Optar 90/6.8)

Mike Kovacs
30-Sep-2005, 16:46
I have an Optar 90/6.8 here with the Graphex shutter with several synch options. Is it normal for this shutter for the blades to open somewhat slowly on the 1 second setting? They do not behave like they are oily because they open just fine on every other speed 1/2-1/400.

Also, what is the lever for that presses in? Seems to open the shutter if its already cocked but am I using it wrong. Thought it might be for opening the shutter for focusing.

Any comments on the Optar wide angle lens? Basically equivalent to a Schneider Angulon?

Mike Kovacs
30-Sep-2005, 16:49
http://members.roadfly.com/teetzelk/small0019.JPG

Dan Fromm
30-Sep-2005, 18:45
>Is it normal for this shutter for the blades to open somewhat slowly on the 1 second setting?

Time for a CLA.

>Also, what is the lever for that presses in? Seems to open the shutter if its already cocked but am I using it wrong. Thought it might be for opening the shutter for focusing.

That's what its for. Cock shutter, press button to open. IIRC (too lazy to go upstairs and look at a Rapax, same shutter as Graphex), cock shutter again to close shutter. The mechanism is also called a blade arrester.

>Any comments on the Optar wide angle lens? Basically equivalent to a Schneider Angulon?

Different design, functionally equivalent.

Joseph O'Neil
1-Oct-2005, 05:23
I used to use one of those lenses myself. A couple thoughts:

1) your shutter need cleaning - that's why the 1 sec mark is sticking;

2) Comparable to an Angulon 90mm? I currently have one of those too. Almost comparable. First off, I only shoot B&W, and most of that time, I use a yellow filter, so for B&W, stopped down, your lens will be very close to the performace of a regular Angulon.

I have no idea how comparable the two are for colour work.

However, I found the coverage / movements on the Optar less than the Angulon. I do not know what the "official" image circle or measurements are, I can only tell you, while it was a very sharp lens straight on, it had very little movement, which is why I later went to an Angulon, then later a Fujinon. :)

However, I do think the Optar is argueably the smallest, lightest 90mm lens you can lay your hands on. Excellent choice if backpacking and your #1 top concern is weight.

IMO, worth getting the shutter cleaned, unless you want a larger 90mm with more movements.

joe

Mike Kovacs
1-Oct-2005, 05:43
I did just buy a Fujinon-SW 90/8 too. I might let this Optar go after I give my shutter a thorough CLA. I've never seen a shutter with slow blades on one speed. Normally its either the escapement (slow speed affected) or oily blades (all speed affected).

Joseph O'Neil
1-Oct-2005, 10:08
Actually my one second mark was offf too - it was, if I timed it correctly, about 2-3 seconds. Allt he rest of the speeds seemed okay - at least, I was never under or over exposed on any of my shots.

Maybe something with that specific lens/shutter combo?
joe