PDA

View Full Version : First 8x10 - Stenopeika or The Italian Camera

Josh C
5-Nov-2018, 11:22
Hey

Im looking in investing in my first 8x10 camera, been shooting 5x4 for a while now and would like to jump to a bigger size. Been looking at the Stenopeika Hyper Camera or The Italian Camera Bellatrix these look miles ahead from the intrepid 8x10 and was wondering if anybody has shot them or got any ideas about either of them? The stenopeika uses magnets to hold the bellows in place which worrys me but apparently he has never had a problem or complaint and I havent heard of anyone using the bellatrix camera. Or does anyone have any recommendations for other 8x10 cameras looking for under £1000 and based within england or europe

Links to both camera
https://www.stenopeika.com/prodotto/hyper-camera-8x10-advanced/
https://www.theitaliancamera.com/product-page/bellatrix-8x10-camera

Fredrick
8-Nov-2018, 10:57
Hey

Im looking in investing in my first 8x10 camera, been shooting 5x4 for a while now and would like to jump to a bigger size. Been looking at the Stenopeika Hyper Camera or The Italian Camera Bellatrix these look miles ahead from the intrepid 8x10 and was wondering if anybody has shot them or got any ideas about either of them? The stenopeika uses magnets to hold the bellows in place which worrys me but apparently he has never had a problem or complaint and I havent heard of anyone using the bellatrix camera. Or does anyone have any recommendations for other 8x10 cameras looking for under £1000 and based within england or europe

Links to both camera
https://www.stenopeika.com/prodotto/hyper-camera-8x10-advanced/
https://www.theitaliancamera.com/product-page/bellatrix-8x10-camera

Why does the magnets worry you?

Jac@stafford.net
8-Nov-2018, 15:15
Magnets, provided they are well distributed, might just be a touch of brilliant design.

Josh C
9-Nov-2018, 17:16
Why does the magnets worry you?

Just unsure how well they will hold and be light tight

Gabriel
19-Jan-2019, 13:34
I was looking too and Stenopeika seem a much better construction than Gibellini Bellatrix. Bellatrix is made out of plastic material using 3D printing, while Stenopeika is wood and steel.
I saw a movie on Youtube where an 8x10 Bellatrix was shown and lot of light leaks on both bellows and ground glass frame, unstable, very shaking, etc. The look and design is good, but on the field seem not the right choice. I did not see anyone using & showing a Stenopeika, but at first sight seem a better choice. I was contacting them, but not very responsive and avoiding to answer one of my question.

Look here: seem not exactly same model, but maybe is an older version of the existing 8x10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TqhyPCvySs

otto.f
19-Jan-2019, 14:40
I’m surprised you did not mention the Intrepid, one of the cheapest of all and based in the UK, Brighton, probably the lightest too. Price seems to vary also with maximum extension. The Chamonix Alpine is quite lightweight too, but costs about 6x more and has a maximum extension of 85cm, where the cheap group has around 55cm

Drew Wiley
19-Jan-2019, 16:48
I'd be a bit concerned about the basic plywood involved. It does appear to be true multi-ply veneer core. But how effectively it's sealed is another question. The advanced composite ply like Chamonix now uses is distinctly superior. It's also hard to tell from a mere picture how stable the front standard risers really are - the actual stiffness of the alloy.

Greg
19-Jan-2019, 17:16
I'd seriously consider a used Burke & James Commercial view camera. A wooden flat bed view. They fold up actually quite compactly and offer a 29" max bellows extension. This was my first 8x10 and spent many years hiking up gorges in the Finger Lakes region of New York. After that explored the Berkshire Hills in Massachusetts. Camera, holders, etc easily fit inside a surplus backpack.The camera never failed me. Years later found one at a garage sale in cosmetically very poor condition for just a few dollars. Found a website that totally covered restoring the camera. Stripped the gray paint and stained the beautiful wood. Metal cleaned up amazing well with very fine steel wool. Bellows was amazingly free of pinholes. Camera looked great and worked great for the person I sold it to for well under $100.

Tin Can
19-Jan-2019, 18:08
I suggest watching this well done video review of the Intrepid 8X10 by Ben Horne. (https://youtu.be/Q8PczK2Lpwk)

He points out flaws and good parts. No matter which camera you choose, this will help any decision.

There are 3 sections that run as one youtube.

I wish every new camera had this sort of review.

Ben Horne's website is also worth a look, he shoots 8X10 color, shows them, also for sale. (https://www.benhorne.com/)

I have no connection with Intrepid or Ben Horne.

pepeguitarra
19-Jan-2019, 22:01
It is interesting that some of the guys who recorded video reviewing the Intrepid 8x10 are not using it, except for Justin Lowery. I purchased the Intrepid 4x5 Mk II and I liked it because of the light weight. I ordered an 8x10 also from Intrepid, I expect to be better than the Mk I. In the meantime, I got a Chamonix 45F2, which I think it is just perfect. However, I still think the Intrepid is fine, I work with it in a more intuitive way. I have seen the Stenopeika and I really like it. I love the idea of using magnets, rather than clips or nails that may get lose in the future. But definitely, the 8x10 Chamonix looks pretty good.

John Kasaian
19-Jan-2019, 22:18
Getting your hands on as many different 8x10 cameras as you can will tell you more about whats going to work for you than looking at the advertising.
Just a thought.
Don't dismiss used cameras either.

Charles S
20-Jan-2019, 01:03
I got a Bellatrix two weeks ago, used, off eBay. For the 700 Eur I payed, I don't think I could have found a better option for the use I make of it.

I am starting to shoot portraits with flash in a studio with a Symmar-S 300mm, so I don't need a lot of movement or extension, or use it for long exposures.
The lens weighs 1.2 kg, and the camera seems plenty sturdy to me, but it is early days. My main motivation was the weight and the budget, since I use it occasionally and I can't leave the camera in the studio. I am looking for a smaller and lighter lens to make the setup even more portable and put less strain on the camera.

Most of the camera is made of Alu, the 3D printing is really the frames that hold the lens board and the GG (the white bits on the images on their website are the 3D printed bits).

So far, I have only had minor difficulties:
1) the Sinar board I got from China did not fit and had to be filled down 0.5mm, I don't know whether it was the lensboard or the frame that was not at the required dimensions
2) it took me a while to figure out the easiest way to get the film holders in and out, but it's fine now.
3) the GG is plastic, on the upside it doesn't break as easily, on the downside it is harder to focus. I have glass screen lying around somewhere that i might try

I contacted the Alessandro Gibellini with a couple of questions, and he was very responsive.

If you are on a budget, another possibility is the Bulldog kit. I have seen them recently on ebay.

That's all I can say