PDA

View Full Version : Durst Pictochrome and / or Pictograph

Paolo
18-Sep-2005, 01:32
After a few BAD experiences with still very highly appreciated LF products manufacturers (if you like, please read my previous posts. NONE of the problems described there, although recognized as defects in their products by the manufacturers, has yet been solved!!!!) I have decided to go back to my roots, leave the 8x10 format to contact printing and get myself a 4x5 Durst enlarger.-
In my reserch of used enlargers I found a PICTOCHROME and a PICTOGRAPH.
Now, I have had a Laborator 1200 with CLS501 for many years and I was very happy with it. But now I am very tempted to go for the closed loop features. So here my questions:

I do colour and BW. Can you do BW with a PICTOCHROME? or to do that you need to have the PICTOGRAPH?
Are they complicated machines to use? Do they need a professional set up/ fine tuning before being able to use them?
and, more in general, has anyone experiences/impressions to share about these enlargers?

Thank you

Paolo

pscl
21-Oct-2005, 16:37
"Do they need a professional set up/ fine tuning before being able to use them?"
Yes, especially for color C41 processing, with densitometer

"BW with a PICTOCHROME"
No problem

Experience with it: good enlarger with a lot of possibilities and fonctions.
Sorry my english's very bad :-)

celepe
24-Oct-2005, 08:31
After using a Laborator 1200 I bought a Pichtograph this week-end. Like Paolo I would be very pleased to have some informations from somebody who uses one. The user's guide is not very good as usual with Durst since it gives the impression they almost assume you already know how to use it ! Anyway, to give a first answer to Paolo I believe the Pictograph is excellent (I hope !) however the only catch with it is the electronics involved. In case of problem it's expensive to repair.

Philippe

Paolo
24-Oct-2005, 10:58
in the meantime the pictograph has arrived! I have to say I am impressed with this machine.
Within one hour I can now make prints in a quality it would have taken me days to achieve.
It is extremely flexible and very easy to control. It's a joy to use...

Philippe, I just got the enlarger so I am not an expert, but, if any question, please do not hesitate to contact me.

celepe
25-Oct-2005, 04:10
Ciao Paolo,

Congratulations for your Picto ! I will be able to put the beast together this evening only so I'm not able to make any comments yet. Could you explain why you can achieve much better prints compared to your Laborator 1200 ? Another thing, if you have Skype installed on your computer we could talk directly or even chat in real time. Let me know !