PDA

View Full Version : Help me to find the right Gitzo tripod for this column

Karlpeter
12-Aug-2018, 09:26
Some years ago I found this tripod accessory at a lot for almost nothing. It fell in oblivion til recently when I found it again. I now know it is for a Gitzo tripod but which one ? It seems for a bigger one or?

scheinfluger_77
12-Aug-2018, 11:29
Recently i was looking for a non-column plate for my Gitzo. It has that 85mm opening. i found a plate at Pacific Rim Camera on eBay. They labeled it as a base plate for an astronomy tripod. I had no idea there was a separate line of tripods for telescopes. Talk to Manfrotto USA and see what they say.

Karlpeter
12-Aug-2018, 13:47
Recently i was looking for a non-column plate for my Gitzo. It has that 85mm opening. i found a plate at Pacific Rim Camera on eBay. They labeled it as a base plate for an astronomy tripod. I had no idea there was a separate line of tripods for telescopes. Talk to Manfrotto USA and see what they say.

Ok Steve... Do you have any name or some kind of production number on your Gitzo tripod? Any picture you can share?

Peter

scheinfluger_77
12-Aug-2018, 16:13
My tripod has no identifying info, giving me a tough time. I would say send a photo along with your query to manfrotto, be sure to stress the diameter of the plate you show. I have photos but don’t think they would help.

Thalmees
13-Aug-2018, 02:40
Some years ago I found this tripod accessory at a lot for almost nothing. It fell in oblivion til recently when I found it again. I now know it is for a Gitzo tripod but which one ? It seems for a bigger one or?
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=181452&d=1534091080

Since the diameter is 85mm, so it's not for series 4 or below(which is 75mm).
It looks for series 5 Gitzo.
Please review this short list: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=gitzo%20systematic%20top%20plate&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=
But, the column is from pre version/mark 2 Gitzo. Whether it fit newer version mark 3(& mark 2) of the same series or the older versions(pre-version 2), and how?, I actually do not know.
But, you may read Q&A of B&H# GIGS3321SP(75mm top plate), mostly you will find an answer.
Hope this help.

Jeff Keller
14-Aug-2018, 16:44
I found the center column I had removed from a GT5561GTS. The diameter is the same as your measurement. The only differences are the paint and mine has a keyway to prevent the center column from rotating which I don't see in your picture.

jeff