PDA

View Full Version : Cambo Wide DS - does it work with XL lenses only?

TFM
26-Apr-2018, 06:56
Just purchased an excellent condition Cambo Wide DS. Only lens I've been able to try so far is a 90mm Super-Angulon f/8. In landscape mode the image doesn't cover the entire ground glass - it's completely dark on the left and right edges. If I use approx 10mm of rise or fall, I get the same effect creeping in on the top and bottom of the image. The 90mm f/8 image circle covers much more than 5x4. It's the rounded rectangular cutout in the camera body/lens cone that's causing the vignette. I believe the camera was originally designed to be used with the XL range of S-A lenses. Does anyone have experience of using non-XL lenses on the Cambo? Maybe it's essential only XL lenses are used with the Wide DS?
TIA for any advice.

Pere Casals
26-Apr-2018, 07:34
What "lens panel" do you have ? https://www.cambo.com/en/view-cam/wide-ds-series/wrs-digital-lenspanels/

TFM
26-Apr-2018, 08:11
What "lens panel" do you have ? https://www.cambo.com/en/view-cam/wide-ds-series/wrs-digital-lenspanels/

I'm using a repro lens mount from these guys: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Made-Lens-Cone-For-Cambo-Wide-DS-RS-WDS-WRS-Portable-4x5-Digital-Camera-/272828747965

Here it is in place...

Bob Salomon
26-Apr-2018, 08:35
Are you using a center filter? What aperture are you shooting at?

TFM
26-Apr-2018, 09:45
Are you using a center filter? What aperture are you shooting at?

No centre filter.
I usually shoot at f/22. I've tried all apertures but there's no noticeable difference.

It's not a light fall-off issue as such. It's the camera body itself that's partially obscuring the image circle i.e. the cutout in the body that the lens panel sits flat against...

With the 90mm f/8 there's possibly enough coverage for 6x12cm, but definitely not 4x5.

I'm guessing the rear element on XL lenses is much longer than non-XL? That's the only way I can see light reaching the far corners through the opening in the front panel, especially if you're using the max rise of 40mm! I'll have a look for some dimensions.

Jac@stafford.net
26-Apr-2018, 10:01
I had no luck with the focus adapter you are using, but it looks too long.

The DS has/had a spacer on the back for different lenses, including a 90mm 6.8. The spacer should have an identifying mark on it. Maybe, just maybe you can get better coverage by removing or replacing the rear spacer if it has one.

TFM
26-Apr-2018, 10:50
I had no luck with the focus adapter you are using, but it looks too long.

The DS has/had a spacer on the back for different lenses, including a 90mm 6.8. The spacer should have an identifying mark on it. Maybe, just maybe you can get better coverage by removing or replacing the rear spacer if it has one.

The flange focal distance of my lens adapter is perfect for the 90mm lens i.e. I can focus at 1.5m and infinity.

I don't see a removable spacer. Maybe the panel the rotating back attaches to is available in different thicknesses but I can't find any information.

I did find specifications/dimensions for the 90mm f/5.6 XL and 90mm f/6.8... both have longer rear elements (8-10mm) than the 90mm f/8. Maybe that's the issue.

The 72mm XL has a similar length rear element to the 90mm f/8 but the flange focal distance is around 16-17mm less; again, bringing the rear element closer to the film plane.

Above info found in this chart (https://www.schneideroptics.com/pdfs/photo/LensCharts.pdf) on the Schneider website.

Jac@stafford.net
26-Apr-2018, 11:03
The flange focal distance of my lens adapter is perfect for the 90mm lens i.e. I can focus at 1.5m and infinity.

I don't see a removable spacer. Maybe the panel the rotating back attaches to is available in different thicknesses but I can't find any information.

Ah, good, then you got a good lens adapter. The spacer (http://www.digoliardi.net/Untitled-1.png) might be missing on your camera. It was not required for the 38mm or 47mm lenses.

Phil Hudson
26-Apr-2018, 13:25
I agree that the lens panel for this was usually "short" regardless of lens and the flange focal distance was made up by an appropriate rear spacer.

TFM
26-Apr-2018, 13:52
I agree that the lens panel for this was usually "short" regardless of lens and the flange focal distance was made up by an appropriate rear spacer.

Thanks Phil, that makes sense. I purchased my camera without a lens. I believe it was originally sold for use with a 72mm XL. That would explain the issues I'm having with the 90mm.

TFM
27-Apr-2018, 04:18
OK, I think I've sussed it. For the 58mm, 72mm and 90mm lenses Cambo supplied spacers that fit between the camera and rear standard to move the ground glass back - I thought the focal flange distance was all done via the lens adapter. No spacer is used with 38mm & 47mm XL.

Next question... does anyone have a spacer for 72mm XL or 90mm f/6.8 they're willing to part with, or any recommendations as to where I might find one?

asf
27-Apr-2018, 19:47
Yes, you're missing the spacer

Try Fotocare in NYC, they had a DS set last I looked

TFM
28-Apr-2018, 11:19
Yes, you're missing the spacer

Try Fotocare in NYC, they had a DS set last I looked

Checked their website. No Cambo parts listed at the moment.

asf
28-Apr-2018, 11:44
You will need to call, they have a ton of used equipment they don’t list on the website