PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Toronto, Canada!

Qeb
26-Mar-2018, 17:24
Hello!

New the forums, looking into 16x20 view cameras for tintypes.

I have a BFA in Fine Arts Photography from Ryerson University and I want to get back into Large Format and start learning everything about ultra large format photography.

Thanks for reading this!

Have a great week and a happy Spring season!

Cheers,
Kevin

cowanw
26-Mar-2018, 18:27
wonderful. welcome from Hamilton

Naej
26-Mar-2018, 19:05
Hi, Welcome from the Count.... hum.... Province of Quebec (still) ;)

In May 27th, there will be the Big One. It's a photographic flea market in Toronto. You'd be able to find what you're looking for... maybe.

If you need more info, www.phsc.ca

Bienvenue!!!
Jean-François

adelorenzo
26-Mar-2018, 21:21
Hello from the Yukon!

If you are looking to get into tintype you may be interested in this workshop in Toronto in May.

https://www.photrioevents.com/horst-herget

Alan Gales
28-Mar-2018, 07:11
That's some big tintypes! Cool! Welcome to the forum, Kevin.

Alan

Ray Van Nes
28-Mar-2018, 09:23
Hello Kevin. You are in a good city for photography. You should look up Bob Carnie who is on this forum. He has a lab and gallery, Dylan Ellis, on Danforth. Remember , CONTACT is happening in May. I will be in the " Red Light" show at the Lonsdale with a few pieces.
Cheers
Ray

Len Middleton
28-Mar-2018, 10:56
Kevin,
There is a number of members in the Greater Toronto Area, and as Ray noted, Bob Carnie is someone you should look up.
Welcome to the asylum / community,
Len

bob carnie
28-Mar-2018, 12:01
Hey wait a minute Kevin may be a serial killer... thanks a bunch Len and Ray.

Len Middleton
28-Mar-2018, 12:55

Bob,

He is looking at doing 16x20 tintypes, so probably ambitious and optimistic, so you should be safe.

Besides, if he is lugging around a 16x20 camera, you should be able to outrun him...

Best wishes,

Len

Jody_S
28-Mar-2018, 16:47
The PHSC spring fair might have something interesting for you, but honestly your chances of finding anything ULF are rather slim. I attend/sell sporadically at the TO shows, honestly I do better at the Montreal shows because there are more buyers/fewer sellers of LF gear. Prices are rising, so don't expect any huge bargains unless you're very, very lucky. The sellers spend 1-2 hours buying all the deals from one another before the doors open to the public.

Biggest problem with ULF alt processes is always the lens, if you want something period and fast, you could be looking at a major investment, but if you do your homework it's not that risky because prices are rising on the big lenses as well. So long as you don't pay above market value, you'll at least break even should you decide to switch or abandon. And the lenses are still cheaper than most specialty lenses for tiny format cameras (a Canon 600mm f4 IS USM is $11.5K at B&H, and you take a 40% loss on depreciation/taxes the day you buy it).

Qeb
2-Apr-2018, 18:49
Hey Everyone,

Sorry, I wasn't getting notifications that people posted replies.

Thank you all for your kind and warm messages!

Hi, adelorenzo , wow, thank you for informing me about this workshop...I think I will definitely consider going!!

Howdy Alan Gales!

Ah, yes Ray Van Nes , Toronto does love photography! Good luck with your show? Got any links to your work that will be showing?

Great, thanks Len Middleton - Can we be cell mates? lol

Hahha, bob carnie, I don't eat meat, how bad could I be? hahha

Hello Jody_S, Thanks for the tips! I always wondered if sellers did sell to each other before the door opened to the public.
I'm hoping to build some parts of a 16x20 camera, or a 20x20 camera so I can shoot 16x20 in portrait and landscape orientations!

Thanks everyone! Nice to meet you all!
Have a great new week!

Hello cowanw!

Hello Naej ! I will definitely go to the show...I haven't been to a camera show in years!

Ray Van Nes
3-Apr-2018, 07:54
Hello Kevin. My website is www.rayvannesphotography.com . The images in the show come from the Fragments and Remnants series. It is a big show with 300 pieces from photographers around the world. I will be there with my humble 5.
Cheers
Ray

Qeb
3-Apr-2018, 16:52
Hey Ray Van Nes,

Wow, I really like the turner-valley-gas-plant, badlands, and icelines-ridgelines series!
Technically excellent and great vantage points/compositions!

Good luck with the group show! I'll definitely try to come out!

Fred L
3-Apr-2018, 19:38
largest camera I ever saw at a show in Toronto was an11x14 Deardorff. I do know someone selling a 20x20 Deardorff set up for tin type (wet plate maybe, not sure). Not going to be cheap though...

Ray Van Nes
4-Apr-2018, 08:09
On the subject of big cameras, it would be good to get your hands on say, an 8 x10 and see how the size impacts how you want to work. Remember a 16 x 20 is 4 times the size. Also consider that the bigger the format, the shorter your lenses become. If you like to use long lenses, they become very hard to find and very expensive. Just some thoughts to consider.
Cheers
Ray

adelorenzo
4-Apr-2018, 09:37
Hi Ray,

Checked out your website, you have some incredible work! I'll be at the Red Light show as well, look forward to seeing your prints in person.

Regards,
Anthony

bob carnie
4-Apr-2018, 10:46
Hi Ray,

Checked out your website, you have some incredible work! I'll be at the Red Light show as well, look forward to seeing your prints in person.

Regards,
Anthony

Ray and Anthony- get to the Red Light show early as this one is going to be packed.

bob carnie
4-Apr-2018, 10:47
I was lucky enough to see some of Ray's prints last year, very impressive in person

Andrew O'Neill
4-Apr-2018, 11:59

:D

Andrew O'Neill
4-Apr-2018, 12:01
Ray, fix the link to your website... there's a slight typo.

Ray Van Nes
4-Apr-2018, 15:30
Thank you Andrew, but I cannot see the typo. www.rayvannesphotography.com
Cheers
Ray

Qeb
4-Apr-2018, 19:25
Hello Fred L, Thanks for thinking about that camera. I think the best route would be to DIY one, but thank you once again!

Hello Ray Van Nes, thank you for the warning and advice. I'm looking at a few 16x20 tintype/ambrotype photographers from around the world, and I love the work they do. I think I'm really set on 16x20.
(It was also my favourite size to print in school). But thank you also once again!