PDA

View Full Version : One Shot Harris

John_4185
20-Aug-2005, 08:51
It had been months since I visited the phography section of the local library, and the visit was, at first, disheartening (I swear, I just don't understand the virtue of Sally Mann's "What Remains"), then I found a recently donated copy of One Shot Harris : The Photographs of Charles "Teenie" Harris .

May I recommend the book. Besides being all LF, the images are close to my own penchant for people-pictures. Harris' compositions are remarkable in simplicity and clarity; at first one might think they are too simple, but ... I will not digression this time. Perhaps you would enjoy the book, too.

I suppose I should follow the FAQ and ask a question - Charles Harris apparently used a small bulb for some of his photos where the results were gently flash-filled, relatively wide aperture. What small bulbs were available in the fifties?

Jim Rhoades
20-Aug-2005, 09:54
I would guess an M2 or M3 bulb. To find any nowadays you would have to haunt the used photo shows. I do see them now and then. # 5's are still made.

gene LaFord
20-Aug-2005, 10:48
I remember reading abouy Mr Harris in some magazine (not sure which) and I thoroughly enjoyed his work. He is/was another one of those unknown gems that surfaces every now and then. I will have to look for that book.

Steven Barall
20-Aug-2005, 11:07
Hello. For flashbulbs old and new try: flashbulbs.com

Thanks for the tip on the book. Anyone interested in One Shot Harris can google him to see some of his photos on various sites. Also, the text is written by Stanley Crouch, a really brilliant man in his own right.

John_4185
20-Aug-2005, 16:03
Thanks for the tip on flashbulbs, Steven. Speaking just for myself, I have hundreds, but none smaller than #5, and most are screw-ins.

FYI - A batteryless flash here: elearning.winona.edu/jjs/batt-free-flash.html (http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/batt-free-flash.html)

It's my final argument concerning electricity-free field photography. :)

Donald Qualls
20-Aug-2005, 16:45
Jim, you say #5 flash bulbs are still being made -- the only bulbs I'm aware of currently in manufacture are some screw base type with immense output produced sporadically by Meggaflash. Where might one find #5 (bayonet base, right?) bulbs? I have 3 flashes that would accept those, and only one of those also takes smaller sizes that I have on hand...