PDA

View Full Version : Mocrotek 2500 problem

Peter Langham
19-Aug-2005, 18:16
My microtek 2500 has developed the annoying habit of dumping the lowest values to 100% black when scanning negatives. (mostly 4x5, hence the use of this board). It has been doing it with vuescan and microtek software. I have tried every adjustment I can think of and can't seem to fix it. I'm sure I am just doing something stupid, but I can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter

David F. Stein
19-Aug-2005, 21:55
I would e-mail Ed Hamrick (support@hamrick.com).

Will Strain
19-Aug-2005, 22:43
Only thing that I can think of is that there is some auto adjustment being made. Make sure that there is no auto exposure setting buried that might still be on.

Also - I try to make sure that a little edge of the negative (the film base only) is in the scan for a reference point to a true 100% black. Don't know if that helps you tho.

Peter Langham
19-Aug-2005, 23:04
Thanks. I have been looking everywhere for some sort of faulty setting, but can't find any. I am having problems with both microtek and vuescan software. I am also having the problem with the raw files from vuescan. I also leave some of the negative edge for the 100% black.
Makes me wonder if it could be a hardware problem.

Thanks again for the suggestions and I will look again!

Peter

Peter Langham
19-Aug-2005, 23:44
It appears it may have been a problem with the buffer setting in the crop menu in Vuescan. Can anyone suggest good values for this (or does it vary for each negative.) I have never payed attention to this box (although I somehow changed the value), and don't really understand the explanation in the directions.
I'm not 100% sure this is the problem, but I think it is.

Thanks again,

Peter

Ken Lee
20-Aug-2005, 06:50
My buffer setting is set to the default of 15%.

David F. Stein
20-Aug-2005, 09:33
Glad you are getting closer. Also, I don't know why, but my experience is that it is better NOT to include any space outside the actual image when scanning.

David F. Stein
20-Aug-2005, 09:35
Also, toss the .ini file. It acts like a preference file and deleting it makes the application "reset." On the Mac, anyway, this is a common solution to many application or even Finder and System woes.

Peter Langham
20-Aug-2005, 21:58
Hmm...My buffer value was also 15% Changing it seemed to help. I only had time to try 1 scan, but lowering it helped. Can someone tell me what the default boarder value is? Perhaps that is the problem. I know they are related.

Oh well. I'm stuck at work, away from the scanner for the weekend. Will try again Monday.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.