PDA

View Full Version : Aristo CVL 8100 power supply

djd
27-Feb-2018, 15:39
I have an Aristo CVL 8100 head and no power supply for it. I have an Aristo CVL 4500 head and power supply.

I have had an alert on ebay for a CVL 8100 power supply for 2 or 3 years. one came up and it went for over $1000, too rich for my blood.

Just today i plugged the CVL 8100 head into the CVL 4500 power supply. it seemed to work.

So, my question is: should i use it this way? does anyone know of any reason not to?

The biggest help would be for someone with the CVL 8100 outfit to look at the back of the power supply and tell me what the maximum wattage is. thanks for you effort in advance.

Luis-F-S
27-Feb-2018, 18:32
Did you check the Light Tech Aristo Archive website?

https://www.light-sources.com/solutions/specialty-fluorescent/products/aristo/aristo-archive/page/7/

L

djd
28-Feb-2018, 06:23
Did you check the Light Tech Aristo Archive website?

https://www.light-sources.com/solutions/specialty-fluorescent/products/aristo/aristo-archive/page/7/

L

I had not checked it. Now i have. Thanks for the link.

Now i have a question about neon that this forum may not cover.

The power supply of the CVL 4500 has maximum wattage of 195, The CVL 8100 power supply has maximum wattage of 568.
the CVL 8100 head seems to work with the CVL 4500 power supply. If continue to use it this way will i burn something out?

James

Eric Woodbury
1-Mar-2018, 13:47
Having too much power should not be a problem. However, you would need the proper voltage to start and maintain the cold cathode light. That said, each tube in your 8100 needs about 200W. Using an under-powered power supply, if it works, may cause over-heating in the power supply. I'm a bit surprised that the 4500 starts the 8100. The longer the tube, the more voltage it takes to start. There are starter circuits in the power supply to 'kick start' the tube. Once started, the voltage should drop and supply enough current to keep the gas in the tube 'lit'.

To answer the question directly, I don't know. I doubt you'll hurt the tube, but the power supply could be at risk.

Good for you for NOT paying $1k for such a power supply. If you have a sign maker in town, you might ask him/her. Or call somebody that makes cold cathode lights. Might be similar to neon, but I'm not sure of the differences. Making your own is too much of a science project unless you are familiar with these types of lights and are safe with HV transformers.

Greg
1-Mar-2018, 17:17
Years ago also needed a power supply for an Aristo. Once I had the specs, contacted a friend who was an active member of the ARRL (American Radio Relay League). He hooked me up to another local member who constructed the power supply for me. Cost me the parts and a bottle of fine wine. Construction of the power supply was child's play for the amateur radio operator.

Luis-F-S
1-Mar-2018, 17:50
I would take Greg's suggestion, Eric's very knowledgeable with these sorts of things, he indirectly suggested the same thing. Might also be worthwhile calling Light Tech to see if they have any ideas or possibly a power diagram you can give to someone to follow!

Leigh
1-Mar-2018, 19:28
The power supply of the CVL 4500 has maximum wattage of 195, The CVL 8100 power supply has maximum wattage of 568. the CVL 8100 head seems to work with the CVL 4500 power supply. If continue to use it this way will i burn something out?
If the 8100 head requires over 500 watts, you definitely WILL burn on the 4500 supply.

Having too much power should not be a problem.
While that's true, it's not relevant.
James has exactly the opposite problem. His 8100 load is too large for the 4500 supply.

- Leigh

Eric Woodbury
2-Mar-2018, 11:48
From looking at the website, not sure how much of a company is left, but you should call Light-Sources / Light Tech. See if they can help. Then call the local sign maker.

I'll look under the hood of my light source and see what I can of my ballast. I'll report back.

You could run a notice here in the WTB area. It's a long shot, but isn't everything.

Does anybody here know where Allan Johnson of Aristo is these days?

Eric Woodbury
2-Mar-2018, 12:38
I doubt you'll 'burn up' your supply. This would require full power to the lamps for considerable time on a hot day. This is a guess and your mileage may vary, but the ballast acts as a current limiter. Your lamps are starting, so that's the right voltage. With less than the right current, maybe your lamps won't be full brightness, but I don't think they'll burn up. That said, don't leave them on extended periods. And continue to look for the proper ballast.

The ballast in a 8100 isn't much bigger than the one I have, if at all. I have the 12x12 V54. As I said, I'll get you more info.

--ejw--