PDA

View Full Version : Varanasi India 2/26

popdoc
20-Feb-2018, 23:21
Suggestions welcome! First time there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steven Tribe
21-Feb-2018, 05:02
Wouldn't have thought that towns in India were suitable for setting up tripods and large format cameras and using dark cloths. The density of milling crowds in streets has to be seen to be believed! In addition, you will attract a sizeable crowd - often with very curious youngsters.

I have never had a problem with personal/belongings security anywhere in India (4 weeks of visiting around late 90's) but the atmosphere around festival days is a bit threatening in the evenings.

Varanasi may be a historic site, but not for the sensitive! The on-going cremation by the river does create environmental problems (Smell).

Best with medium format - TLR perhaps?

popdoc
4-Mar-2018, 12:17
Wouldn't have thought that towns in India were suitable for setting up tripods and large format cameras and using dark cloths. The density of milling crowds in streets has to be seen to be believed! In addition, you will attract a sizeable crowd - often with very curious youngsters.

I have never had a problem with personal/belongings security anywhere in India (4 weeks of visiting around late 90's) but the atmosphere around festival days is a bit threatening in the evenings.

Varanasi may be a historic site, but not for the sensitive! The on-going cremation by the river does create environmental problems (Smell).

Best with medium format - TLR perhaps?

Thanks!
You were spot on re. “attraction action”....
MF and mirrorless were the way to go!

Amazing ancient place...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk